Zorin

I had Zorin 15 (education version) installed as a VM to check it out. It seemed like a decent OS, so I decided to install it on my spare laptop that has Windows 10 and Linux Mint 20, each on SEPARATE SSDs. I simply remove the SSD and install the OS I want to use.

So after the install on a separate SSD, I was a little confused as to the amount of programs that are displayed in the menu system compared to LM20. For example, the firewall is not shown etc. The menu systems pretty skimpy compared to other Linux OS's; even though there are plenty of apps/programs installed - you just can see them in the menu system. I then deleted that education version and installed the core version with pretty much the same results. The desktop looks nice and easy to navigate.

Anyone here tried their OS? Thoughts?

It was brought up in another thread not long ago. I tried out the Lite version on an old Dell D600 laptop with a Pentium M and 1G RAM and it was just fine. I had to change out audio/video apps to lower resource ones, and install wifi driver which I don't fault Zorin for. Looks fine and works fine for what I need it to do on that old laptop.

Zorin seems on track to go after the business/institutional market especially if they get their Grid product on point. It's not a daily driver for me though. I do have a VM of Zorin 16 Beta.

What do you think of their 16 beta? I agree - the desktop looks very nice but confusing to find things.

I honestly didn't spend that much time in Zorin. Mostly just checked out the overall look and feel. I thought it was interesting you can swap easy from a Windows to Mac to Gnome desktops at a click but otherwise I don't care for their curated layouts.

Back