ZFS: Suggestions for upgrade new disks/pool configuration

So last night one of my disks failed in my home lab/setup, after noticing I determined which drive it was, tried a few things.. nada... Server is off for now.

My current setup is as follows (yes I know it's not ideal, it was my first time playing with ZFS).

3x 2TB in Z1 and I have a 250GB Samsung 830 SSD as a cache drive for that pool.

and when I needed more space, I added another 3x 2TB in Z1 to that pool.

so... I think I currently have somewhere around 7-8TB usable. Most of that is obviously video files (personal, TV/Movies, etc). I'm down to around 600GB of free space to sometime upgrade anyway. But I also have my main VM's on there (iSCSI), personal stuff (that get's backed up to a mirrored array, then again to an offsite backup).

I am also in the middle of revamping my home server equipment. Instead of a separate file server box and another ESXi box, they will become one box with much more powerful server grade hardware:

Supermicro X8DTE-F, dual X5670's w/ 64GB ECC RAM

At this point I would like to buy new HDD's, right now 4TB red's are $199 and 6TB are $309 CAD.

I'd love to go with 6x 6TB right off the bat in Z2 for 21TB usable, but after tax it's a hefty $2100ish.

So I think my middle of the road choice would be 6x 4TB in Z2 for now (approx 14.6TB usable), and then when I require it add another 6x 4TB.

Would that be a healthy configuration? I'm planning on migrating the VM's to an SSD array eventually (3x 500GB in Z1) for the OS's.

Anyway, just looking for some suggestions while keeping it in a decent budget.
Cheers!

Back