ZFS share zpools on different NICs

Eickst

[H]ard|Gawd
Quick question for you ZFS gurus out there....here's a scenario

Consider a typical ZFS set up for dual purpose, VM hosting and also file storage for general LAN. 6 disk striped mirrored vdevs for VMs with 6 15k drives, and the file/backup storage is on 10 2tb drives (3 striped raidz with one hot spare).

I want to expose the user data folder over CIFS to the LAN over a dual port gb NIC connected to the lan, and still only expose the vm storage to the nic connected to the storage switch (not really a 'storage' switch, just a regular cisco 3750).

This is theoretical, i do not have the hardware setup this way yet).

Not a big deal if it doesn't work, but I would think this would be better than connecting a windows server to a LUN and then sharing it out via windows file services.

ZFS describes a filesystem. I actually don't knwo the answer, but I do know that what you are asking is more of an OS question than a ZFS question. In order to get an answer you'd need to tell us what OS you are using.

FreeBSD?
Solaris 11 express?
Solaris 10?
OpenIndiana?

Not sure the answer would be different between the Solaris variants...but it might be.

Well to answer your question, I guess the answer would be I would use whichever one that would allow me to do what I want.

Planning on using nexenta or napp-it, I've used nexenta before, haven't used it in a while (6 months), don't remember if it can do what I'm asking.

When I get to work tomorrow I am just going to fire up a small VM with similar disk config but 1gb each and see if I can set it up that way.

If using samba, you'll need to configure separate instances for each interface you wish to serve since you want to limit the shares per interface.

smb.conf has support for multiple interfaces, but only at the global level, not at the share level.

Back