ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 and i7

eurin

[H]ard|Gawd
Are there brackets sold to fit this to lga 1366 boards?

I bought it to cool down a Pentium D I got from a friend, nothing could stop that thing from frying itself, so I have it extra. I'm building a buddy's computer in the next few days, if I can't use it in my build in a few months, Ill toss it in his lga 775 set up.

Just upgrade, I don't think a Zerotherm Nirvana would do too good of a job on an i7. They run HOT. My Nirvana didn't do too great of a job for my e8400, atleast not good enough to justify the price.

The Zerotherm Nirvana, just doesn't live up to it's hype! Don't get me wrong I own one and it's well made, but I'm skeptical about actual performance, vs reviews.

The Zerotherm Nirvana, just doesn't live up to it's hype! Don't get me wrong I own one and it's well made, but I'm skeptical about actual performance, vs reviews.

Yeah I have one too. Although, Im not using it now, but based on my experience it performs a little better than a Artic Freezer 7 at twice the price. I think it might be among the worst performers in it's price range. Not a bad cooler, but not worth what they charge for it. Aluminum fins :rolleyes:

Every single high-end cooler out now uses aluminum fins, except for the TRUE Copper (which is a limited-edition part).

Aluminum plated, yes. The Nirvana has solid aluminum fins, thats why they bend so easily.

Aluminum plated, yes. The Nirvana has solid aluminum fins, thats why they bend so easily.
Not aluminum plated, solid aluminum. They all have them, not just the Nirvana. This includes the Xigmatek HDT coolers, the TRUE and Ultima-90, the Coolermaster V8 and V10, and pretty much every other high-end cooler you can think of except for the aforementioned TRUE Copper, which is a special case.

Ok then they must not be nickel plated or something because they bend very, very easily on the Nirvava.

Ok then they must not be nickel plated or something because they bend very, very easily on the Nirvava.
They aren't plated with anything. They are made entirely out of aluminum. I don't know where you are getting the idea that the Nirvana is unique in this. I have a Xigmatek HDT-S1283, a Thermalright SI-120, and several other decent heatsinks, and all of them have aluminum fins that bend easily. In fact, your TRUE Black (assuming your sig is accurate) also has aluminum fins, although those actually are nickel-plated to provide the colour.

Acctually the TRUE has nickel plated fins just look at any review or thermalright's pdf. Also, I acctually own both coolers, do you? The fins on the Nirvana bend with no force at all and the fins on my TRUE and my artic freezer would be very difficult to bend. What would I gain by lieing?

Also, the fins on your cooler and many other Im sure, are made of an aluminum alloy. Not solid aluminum as you claim.

I would hazard a guess that the reason the fins on the zerotherm nirvana bend so easily is because they are not as well supported as those on the TRUE. The only thing on CPU heatsinks that are plated are the bases and they are usually nickel plated. The fins themselves are made of aluminum.

Acctually the TRUE has nickel plated fins just look at any review or thermalright's pdf.
That's what I said. Aluminum fins, but plated with nickel. Whereas most coolers are just aluminum, like the Nirvana. The added rigidity you speak of is probably due to the plating, but the fins of the normal TRUE would most likely bend just as easily as the Nirvana's (the only possible differences would be caused by a possible difference in the grade of the aluminum used, as well as in the thickness of the fins).

I think that your right and flak-spammer made a good point about the fins not being as well supported.

I want to know what you guys are doing to your coolers that is causing all this fin-bending! I've installed many Nirvanas in customer computers and never had any bending issues. /shrug

I want to know what you guys are doing to your coolers that is causing all this fin-bending! I've installed many Nirvanas in customer computers and never had any bending issues. /shrug

The ones near the fan. I even saw it mentioned in a review.

Are you receiving them with the fins bent? Or just during install they are getting bent?

The bottom couple, yes. It wasn't that bad though. Im surprised because it is well packaged. There was also a rather large dent in the base, but I ended up lapping it anyways. Still kinda expensive for what you get compared to other options out there, imo.

Back