Zero handoff access points

Zangmonkey

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking for a cost-effective solution for zero-handoff APs.

I need probably three of them.
I know that this tech usually decreases throughput but my problem is a location with low-bandwidth requirements uses mobiles devices which have no roaming capability. They will stay on an AP until signal completely dies (causing problems with the device) before joining a better AP.

Do all the APs share a single SSID? That is very odd if the mobile devices do not handoff properly with the same SSID across the board.

Do all the APs share a single SSID? That is very odd if the mobile devices do not handoff properly with the same SSID across the board.

Yes, they do. Most devices roam just fine. The custom WinCE devices in use just don't.

It's a defect in the mobile devices, I confirmed it with the manufacturer, and they're not likely to fix it anytime soon.

I have 3 aruba iap-225's and zero handoff on them works quite well. Just know that some of the functionality will depend on the client supporting the proper standards to increase the "smoothness" of the handoff. Definitely look into their IAP line, they can be had on ebay for a good bit less if cost is a concern and firmware updates are accessible directly on the AP's themselves so no need for support contract for updates. I replaced 3 ubiquiti UAP-AC's and the difference in functionality, range, throughput and reliability is staggering. I fear what the future holds with the HP buyout of aruba though...this may be the last generation of great products in the IAP line at affordable prices...

Back