Zen3 preorder? enough stock or same BS as with 3800/3900 nvidia GPUs?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi Guys,

Very excited for upcoming Zen3 release, all the parts are coming in for 2 new builds. I'm planning to by 2 new 5700x or 5800x CPUs.

This will be my first AMD CPU purchase and I even had a Cyrix CPU in the past :)

Based on the previous CPU AMD releases; do you guys know if there will be any preorders, or will it be usual online F5-ing, or is it better to go to the local computer store (assuming they will stock).

I hope to score at least one CPU, so I can test both system builds.

BTW... I live in Canada, so my options are somewhat limited :p LOL

I'd like to see some performance numbers first. Hopefully reviewers will get some advance samples to test before the 8th.

We'll see. Generally, CPUs haven't been hard to get - except coffee lake. Motherboards now, those can be harder. And this year has been so whack, it's hard to say.

We'll see. Generally, CPUs haven't been hard to get - except coffee lake. Motherboards now, those can be harder. And this year has been so whack, it's hard to say.

I hope you are right, I wish there were preorders. I guess we'll find out the soon. Yes, I'm waiting for tomahawks x570 to come next week.

I'd like to see some performance numbers first. Hopefully reviewers will get some advance samples to test before the 8th.
I've waited that long, even if it is only 10% I'm going for it. LOL However I'm hopping for some leaks/benchies before hand. There is more news about upcoming consoles and gpu releases. I hope zen3 is not being left out.

Why would they? The 8th is the announcement, not the release date. Rumor is (at least for RDNA2, but probably similar story with CPU's) that they will lift the review embargo 2 days before purchase to give folks a bit of time to actually know what they're buying. Of course, these are just rumors at this point, so it's hard to say.

CPU's have been hit and miss in the past for stock, but in general they will have some availability, but not always the model you're wanting ;).

I've waited that long, even if it is only 10% I'm going for it. LOL However I'm hopping for some leaks/benchies before hand. There is more news about upcoming consoles and gpu releases. I hope zen3 is not being left out.
Yeah, if it's the same price as last gen and 10% faster (especially for gaming) then it'll be a great buy. I just picked up 2 3700x's recently but am watching this release closely. The announcement for zen3 is Oct 8th, so we should find out more about availability and review embargo dates then, as well as some information on the new chips (models, specs, etc). So in about 2 weeks we should have a bit more concrete information at least. I would expect the performance will be somewhere around 10%-15% for most work loads, with some being less and a few being quite a bit more (I wouldn't doubt we'll see a VERY few select cases where it's up to 40% faster, but that'll be an exception, not the norm and likely not something most desktop users will use/notice). As I said, the rumors where pointing to an embargo lift 2 days prior to availability, so hopefully that is accurate. I'm not convinced though, as the review embargo for zen2 was the same day as release with the 3700x and 3900x.. hopefully they have changed course, but again, we really don't know.

3900x and 3950x were OOS and selling for well over retail for quite a while. I expect scalpers to focus on the high end CPUs that will be in lower supply than the mainstream.

3900x and 3950x were OOS and selling for well over retail for quite a while. I expect scalpers to focus on the high end CPUs that will be in lower supply than the mainstream.
Yup, like I said, they'll probably have some stock, but not necessarily what but everyone wants. Hopefully they are a bit more prepared after seeing zen2 and the XT series fly off of the shelves, but high binning on new products is always difficult, I expect imperfect dies to be more prevelant than perfect dies, at least for the first couple of months. That said, I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade as I just bought my 2 3700x's this summer and I'm sure they'll hold me over just find while stock stabilizes ;).

Do we know that for sure? They aren't gonna just be like "and it's available NOW!"?
I mean, nobody but AMD knows that, but leaks are pointing to that not happening, and they called it an announcement, not a release, so.... If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on them announcing the specs and release date. It shouldn't be to far off though, it's "normally" a week or two, but these aren't exactly normal times, lol.

I am in need of a workstation and I am really wanting to get my hands on what I assume they will call the 5970x, my biggest question is will it need a new socket, the sTRX40 is pretty new but with the total lack of leaks I really don't have any clue.

I am in need of a workstation and I am really wanting to get my hands on what I assume they will call the 5970x, my biggest question is will it need a new socket, the sTRX40 is pretty new but with the total lack of leaks I really don't have any clue.

The new Threadrippers won't be out for a while after.

Yeap. And I'll add that if I were to do it again, I'd be looking to source TR Pro instead non-Pro. Pro is just sooo much more chip, and that's kind of crazy to write lol.

Hi Guys,

Very excited for upcoming Zen3 release, all the parts are coming in for 2 new builds. I'm planning to by 2 new 5700x or 5800x CPUs.

This will be my first AMD CPU purchase and I even had a Cyrix CPU in the past :)

Based on the previous CPU AMD releases; do you guys know if there will be any preorders, or will it be usual online F5-ing, or is it better to go to the local computer store (assuming they will stock).

I hope to score at least one CPU, so I can test both system builds.

BTW... I live in Canada, so my options are somewhat limited :p LOL
if you have a MC near you (or with in drivable range) I can almost promise you they will have stock (although prob VERY limited) of the new cpus on launch day. My Atlanta MC on every single launch always had the good on launch day. I get there early, and usually within the hour prior to them opening, you can "reserve" said piece of hardware, and just go in and pay for it. This way, any other nerds that may show up and steal your thunder, you are worry free as you WILL get yours. Atleast this is what I do and works everytime.

Back