Zen apparently overclocking to 5 ghz on air.

This is F3 stepping. F4 could hit 4.0 turbo

I guess F4 is ready now.

lol @ 4ghz. I had my q6700 at 4.2ghz in 2007.

Edit: missed a quote somewhere.

Your q6700 did not have 16 threads however.

I'll be frank, I don't know how threads affect overclocking. I get rhe cores but not threads, unless we are considering them the same when it comes to overclocking.

Having 2 threads per core on average better utilizes the execution units making the heat load higher.

The more I think about it, the more I think I might go for the 4/8 over the 8/16, unless the release timeframe is way out. There aren't enough games (I only really game on my desktop) that take advantage of 8 cores at this point.

Also if AMD has a faster bin sample available for a price. Would like to know more about the automatic OCing ability - is that all cores or what?

Also if AMD has a faster bin sample available for a price. Would like to know more about the automatic OCing ability - is that all cores or what?
I think that is where that new boost AMD is using comes in. As long as the temp stays down it isnt locked to particular boost states like before. So if the TDP algorithm is met then it will boost all cores or even lengthen the clock till it is met.

I think the new boost with XFR is different in that it can boost permanently to 3.9ghz depending on load and temps, unlike turbo boost which is only a short burst cycle . XFR seems to be like GPU boosting firmware in that the state can be permanent and not just short term.

It will be interesting to see how far LLP can be OC'd to, 4.5 makes sense if they hit 5Ghz on a octo core using air or all in one methods then I would be amazed.

I almost think you guys are asking too much. 4ghz for an 8 core chip is good, 4.5ghz great 5ghz! Insane! I wonder if the 6 core versions will OC better, also if downgrading (via bios or software) an 8 core Ryzen to 6 core or even 4 core if XFR will OC higher? Also max real OC obtainable? This is getting rather exciting to say the least, last 2-3 years if not longer has been rather boring on the CPU front.

Would be kinda cool if you can profile the cpu in like the Radeon drivers an OC and number of cores as well if an extra clock speed can be obtain and maintained for games that use less or few threads. That would be something Intel could never really do. If AMD allows this functionality with Nvidia drivers as well it would probably get the Enthusiast community really looking and buying AMD if the cpu has good performance.

Flexibility, more cores when you need it, less cores higher clocks when you need that.

I almost think you guys are asking too much. 4ghz for an 8 core chip is good, 4.5ghz great 5ghz! Insane!

I think if this really is true Intel has to move to using GF as its foundry for the high end processors because GF would have to have exceeded intel's 14nm node for this to happen. Either that or the IPC of Zen is not what was demonstrated.

I really don't have my hopes up to high even for 4.5ghz to tell the truth but we just have to see what is cooking or not when launched.

Even if 4.5 is a ceiling that is relatively easy to hit, I would be plenty happy. Hell, I have run my 3570k and 5820k at 4.2 for years, and I really don't see the need for anything beyond that in games. If a 4+ Ghz modern hex core can't run your game, either it's the second coming of Crysis, or your shit is unoptimized as hell.

Back