Zen 3 Pricings vs Zen 2 pricings in upcoming month - worth waiting or should I buy new setup now?

M-UK

n00b
Hi [H] ! This is my first post here. I managed to put aside a hefty (for me at least) £2000. I spent entire weekend on one of UK's part picker website, and came up with a build that would be based on 570x AORUS ULTRA and 3700x. At this very moment I can pick 3700x at about 260 GBP. But then during my research (forgive me for being uneducated about new tech) I stumbled upon article that announced Zen 3 line on October 28th. Now, the question is: Should I buy the setup now, would new Zen 3 processors replace current Zen 2 line with same pricings, would old gen gonna be even cheaper. I really don't know.

If that helps, here is what I put together with a help of my tech-y friend:

1600178806428.png

Thank you in advance for Your replies.

M.

I mean, you're probably looking at a mid-November launch, so I wouldn't necessarily not buy now if you need a computer, but you'll probably get better performance (at a higher launch price) if you wait. Rumor is that NAND pricing is falling again, so if you wait you might get better deals on memory and the SSD.

As it stands now, you'll be waiting a month for your video card to be released anyway...

I mean, you're probably looking at a mid-November launch, so I wouldn't necessarily not buy now if you need a computer, but you'll probably get better performance (at a higher launch price) if you wait. Rumor is that NAND pricing is falling again, so if you wait you might get better deals on memory and the SSD.

As it stands now, you'll be waiting a month for your video card to be released anyway...

mid November?...I was hoping for mid October after the October 8th paper launch

I'd wait. But... I'm still running a quad core because I always wait. If Zen 3 gives every core access to the entire 32 MB of L3 cache on a CCX and 8 cores on a single CCX. I think this implies a consistently faster processor with few exceptions. Then we're going to get some IPC and clock speed gain on top of a cleaner design.

Reactions: GHRTW
like this
Unless you have some time constraint it's crazy not to wait a couple months and see how things shake out between new CPUs from AMD and new GPUs from Nvidia and AMD. You're going to end up with faster hardware at the same price, or you can buy the same hardware at a lower price, if the performance increase doesn't do it for you. .

Reactions: GHRTW
like this

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are previewing it and then launching it a month later. I would actually expect an even later launch honestly

I would be surprised to see much stock before next year. They'll be released, but probably low availability (just an assumption, I have no real info to back up my claim). At this point, if you plan on waiting on the 3070 anyways (which will probably be in a similar low availability state), I don't see much reason to rush unless you need it for something in particular and you'll be losing money by not having a better system. Just know that you'll probably be F5ing a lot and setting stock alerts in order to try to get all the parts for this build. Tis the fun of buying bleeding edge as soon as it comes out. On a good note, looks it'll be a nice performing PC once you get it build!

Reactions: M-UK
like this

my guess is they'll do a 2 week delay.. announce the 8th with pre-orders, reviews probably the 12th or 13th and then limited availability for probably the 4600x(maybe the non X model too but we saw how much that effected sales of the 3600x so maybe not), 4700x, and 4900x a week after that. they've done similar stuff with all their previous ryzen launches so i wouldn't expect them to deviate much from that. then probably launch the 4950x and 4500x and maybe 4600 non X if they don't release it with the first batch of cpu's in mid/late november.

just my predictions based on past releases though.

like this
My crystal ball is a bit cloudy, so I don't know what will happen with prices. But ... your techy friend has over-spec'ed a few things. The 3700X doesn't need that fancy liquid cooler, current PCIe 4.0 SSD's are IMO a waste of money (unless you're into pro or semi-pro content creation), and 1000w is at least 250w more PSU than you need. Even 750w is likely a bit of overkill with that part list. (I'm no fan of X570's, either, there's not much real added value there for most builds.)

As for timing, since the 3070 will be showing up in October, you probably want to give it at least 3-4 weeks for the scalpers to rape the gotta-have's and let pricing and availability settle down; I think you would be ill advised to expect to build before very late October. So you might as well wait to see what AMD have to say in the Oct 8th announcement announcement.

I agree with the others, you should wait. You've already got a Geforce 3070 on your list, and it's not being released until October anyway.
AMD will also release the new Radeon 6700 series video cards in October and rumor has them outperforming the 3070, and rumor on the price is < $499.

That power supply is way overkill for that build. A quality 650-700w psu would be plenty.

Wait a couple months, get a cheaper PSU and put that money into the next series up chip... you'll be happier long term. It sucks waiting a few months but there's a lot of us who do it. My machine is basically down right now. I sold my 3700x and my rx 5700, it's sitting with a r5 1600 in it and a really old GPU.

My crystal ball is a bit cloudy, so I don't know what will happen with prices. But ... your techy friend has over-spec'ed a few things. The 3700X doesn't need that fancy liquid cooler, current PCIe 4.0 SSD's are IMO a waste of money (unless you're into pro or semi-pro content creation), and 1000w is at least 250w more PSU than you need. Even 750w is likely a bit of overkill with that part list. (I'm no fan of X570's, either, there's not much real added value there for most builds.)

As for timing, since the 3070 will be showing up in October, you probably want to give it at least 3-4 weeks for the scalpers to rape the gotta-have's and let pricing and availability settle down; I think you would be ill advised to expect to build before very late October. So you might as well wait to see what AMD have to say in the Oct 8th announcement announcement.
Need? No. But it sure helps, I have 2 of them, one with the stock cooler and one with a small AIO (120mm in an ITX case). Both run pretty hot. I am looking at upgrading my AIO to help bring temps down a bit. I wouldn't hesitate to put a £100 360mm AIO on it if it fits (the case, mine is in an ITX box, so I can't just slap a 360mm in), much better temps with that then with a stock cooler. The other option is a high end air cooler, which isn't much cheaper than the £100 AIO he's looking at, and the AIO will give him better temps. I don't think it's a waste at all.

PSU is slightly oversized as others have mentioned, but it's hard to find them sometimes, so it's not horrible, but if you can get a quality 650w-850w it'd be plenty as mentioned by others. Obviously you're build is probably still open to change since nothing is finalized yet, but with things coming out very soon may be worth taking a look at options (like mentioned, what AMD cards are coming out, if Zen3 is worth the extra $ once it comes out, since you'll be able to pick up some zen2's a bit cheaper at that time). Overall though, it's pretty solid as is though, and everyone has an opinion so we won't all ever agree 100% so take the feedback for what it is. Nothing in your build stands out as OMG WTF :).

like this
If you are looking for a high-end 4XXX Ryzen you better be ready to F5 like a mofo. It took a long time for 3900X and 3950X to come into good supply.

Need? No. But it sure helps, I have 2 of them, one with the stock cooler and one with a small AIO (120mm in an ITX case). Both run pretty hot. I am looking at upgrading my AIO to help bring temps down a bit. I wouldn't hesitate to put a £100 360mm AIO on it if it fits (the case, mine is in an ITX box, so I can't just slap a 360mm in), much better temps with that then with a stock cooler. The other option is a high end air cooler, which isn't much cheaper than the £100 AIO he's looking at, and the AIO will give him better temps. I don't think it's a waste at all.

There's an awful lot of room between the stock Prism, which gets all agitated trying to cool my lowly 2300X namenode, and a 360mm AIO. I was thinking more along the lines of a Mugen 5 or thereabouts; in the UK, a Cryorig H7 ought to be reasonable and it's excellent. But hey, it's whereever you want to spend the money. I certainly didn't intend to advocate the stock cooler.

There's an awful lot of room between the stock Prism, which gets all agitated trying to cool my lowly 2300X namenode, and a 360mm AIO. I was thinking more along the lines of a Mugen 5 or thereabouts; in the UK, a Cryorig H7 ought to be reasonable and it's excellent. But hey, it's whereever you want to spend the money. I certainly didn't intend to advocate the stock cooler.
The 3700x comes with a decent cooler, similar to the hyper 212 (similar performance, a bit louder). So you have to go up in price to get one that's much better. Somewhere closer to the £75+ range. So, to me it's not much of an ask to jump to a £100 cooler that has a good amount of capacity between itself and the air cooler. A minimal change for a £75 air cooler or a much larger change for £100. I don't think it's crazy at all. If you look around at all the threads with people who have decent air coolers asking about why their chips are hitting 80*C+ (in benches and stress testing mostly, but also things like blender and lightroom, photoshop) you'll understand why I say it's not a horrible idea to get the AIO for only a few £ more than what he'd have to spend to get something that gives only a little difference.

Do you need the computer now?

I do advise waiting to see how the new products shake up the market. In a month and a half we'll have a good idea of the state of the market for the next two years or so.

You could always re-budget by dropping down to a cheaper cooler (or no aftermarket cooler at all), dropping down to a decent ~650-750W unit for further savings, and then, once Zen3 CPUs are out, if you find their performance/$ enticing, sell off the 3700x and use that + the previous savings to get the new Zen3 part. That should allow you to stay relatively near your original 2k budget despite the inevitable resale price drop that the 3700x will experience when the new parts are out.

If you buy now Zen 3 will tempt you as a drop in upgrade down the line. If you wait for zen 3 that will be the end of am4 and you can focus on a ddr 5 build in the future when prices are reasonable for it.

If you are looking for a high-end 4XXX Ryzen you better be ready to F5 like a mofo. It took a long time for 3900X and 3950X to come into good supply.
I am looking to buy something similar to what 3700x - 3800x are in current gen. This is going to be mainly productivity. Playing games as well (capturing gameplay) but mainly small form video editing hence the gen 4 ssd. I currently own 1080p monitor but will be upgrading to 2k this xmas. 1000 W is there to add 3080 or 3090 in the future and possibly mild overclock with a help of a friend, hence that AIO as well (mainly because is more modular than others). I am upgrading from 2700k/ GTX 960.

The 3700x comes with a decent cooler, similar to the hyper 212 (similar performance, a bit louder).

That's not my experience at all. I get better temps and less noise out of a Cryorig M9a (£25) than the Prism (I own both). The £50-ish Mugen 5 mops the floor with either one. Most people don't need to go above that for a 3700X. Granted, if you spend all your days doing stress testing and long blender runs, a good sized AIO might be worth it. Or not, depending on how much you want those last few degrees C.

That's not my experience at all. I get better temps and less noise out of a Cryorig M9a (£25) than the Prism (I own both). The £50-ish Mugen 5 mops the floor with either one. Most people don't need to go above that for a 3700X. Granted, if you spend all your days doing stress testing and long blender runs, a good sized AIO might be worth it. Or not, depending on how much you want those last few degrees C.
Good to know, I'm just going by reviews and other peoples posts who have put up their coolers and temps. Sounds like you've had a lot better luck, so that's good news. As he mentioned though, he does plan to do some overclocking as well, so I don't think there is anything wrong with installing an AIO to help keep it cool and quiet.

This is an older gen cooler (really hard to find any real tables or data besides anecdotal stuff on posts who may or may not have seated things properly). This does show some pretty decent gains for some coolers though.
1600363202559.png

https://thinkcomputers.org/noctua-nh-u12a-cpu-cooler-review/4/

As you can see, the wraith spire is in the middle and beats out the Cryorig C7, but not as good as the Hyper 212 (I think the last test I saw/read was the EVO 212, maybe why I was thinking 212 was the same as there are more than 1), which isn't on this chart). This is using a 2700x which tends to stay a little bit cooler, so I would expect all of these values to be a bit higher with a 3700x (same wattage, but 3700x is harder to remove heat from due to 7nm). Anyways, hopefully this helps a little bit, took a while to dig out any sort of chart, lol.

Back