Zen 3 is rumored to be flaunting monumental IPC gains in early testing

I don't think it's been settled (happy to be proven wrong), but the conjecture is that the 5800x will be a single-chiplet 8 core and the 5900x will be a dual chiplet (6+6) 12 core.

I have no idea if that's going to be true. Or, from an architectural perspective, if that means performance is being left on the table. (Would 6+6 be slower than a single-die 8? Infinity and all that...?)

Finally, from a manufacturing and profit perspective, why put the "best" dies (with 8 good cores) on a lower-level chip? I'd think the higher error chiplets with 4 cores would be better suited on a 4+4 setup.

Shrug. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable on these things than a lot of you folks, just curious about what I'm reading...2 days before release. ;)

Either way, yeah, I'll be buying at least one of these chips. Woot.

why put the "best" dies (with 8 good cores) on a lower-level chip?

Maybe you have something about why the 5800x has an higher price by core versus the other chip:

Ryzen 9 5950X$799$49.9
Ryzen 9 5900X$549$45.8
Ryzen 7 5800X$449$56.1
Ryzen 5 5600X$299$49.8

It will almost certainly be the same as it was with Zen 2, with the eight-core CPUs being a single chiplet. The "best" eight core chiplets (defect free and clock well on all eight cores) will actually go into the 5950X, the ones that clock well but either have a couple of defective cores or just a couple of cores that don't match the clocks of the rest go into the 5900X, the defect-free but lower quality dies go into the 5800X, and the chiplets with defects and lowest achievable clocks go into the 5600X.

Oh that's jumpers runs. Look at it closely, it's not even running decent ram speed just 3200mhz lol. Though granted it is running decently tight 3200mhz primary timings but as you can see the subtimings are awful which means its on auto. For the purposes of a leak, ya don't wanna tweak it too far where it fails to be representative of the whole lot.

Yea that's how the largest % are likely to configure it. I'd be more interested in the minimum required voltage to sustain the all core at those clocks but encouraging performance numbers none the less.

Check my post #266. The voltage scaling on the boost clock bodes quite well for overclocks.

And here we go! A big all core overclock as suspected.

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-485ghz-all-core-overclock

big_ryzen_5600x_cinebench.jpg

Review from europe seem to start to get out:

https://videocardz.com/newz/first-full-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-review-published-ahead-of-launch

Seem really impressive, without overclock 27% faster in game at 1080p in average than the 3600x, for some specific task like 3dsmax viewport it is almost 50% faster and run at much lower temperature (14C lower)/wattage stock if I understand correctly.

Will be interesting to see the performance at those 4.7/4.8 overclock.

Back