Zen 3 is rumored to be flaunting monumental IPC gains in early testing

Nice synthetics, but I want to see gaming. I no longer crunch so gaming is my standard of measure.
While I agree and I wouldn't purchase anything before 3rd party reviews, it does give some credence to what we've seen and heard this far.

Nice synthetics, but I want to see gaming. I no longer crunch so gaming is my standard of measure.

On the other hand, I am interested in numerical computing and linear algebra benchmarks. I really hope that the 5600X is better than the 3700X, with faster clock speed making up for the decreased parallelism. It's hard to justify anything more expensive nowadays with how much stuff gets offloaded to the GPU nowadays, but on the other hand buying an underpowered CPU is a bad idea as well.

More ass kicking...

https://www.techpowerup.com/273545/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-benchmarked-conquers-intel-core-i5-10600k

In the test results, the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU has scored Processor Arithmetic and Processor Multi-Media scores of 255.22 GOPS and 904.38 Mpix/s. These scores are not much on their own until we compare them to some of the Intel offerings. When compared to the Intel Core i5-10600K CPU, which is likely its targeted competing category, it scores 224.07 GOPS and 662.33 Mpix/s for Processor Arithmetic and Processor Multi-Media tests respectively. This puts the AMD CPU ahead 13.9% and 36.5% in these tests, indicating the possibility of Zen 3. Another important note here is the thermal headroom both of these CPUs run. While the Intel model is constrained withing 125 W TDP, the AMD model runs at just 65 W TDP. This could be an indication of the efficiency that these new processors harness.

Could be an indication of the efficiency of the CPU. You don't say who wrote this article?

Well, this isn't really true... 10600k isn't constrained to 125w.. it's the TDP. Same for 5600x.. it's a 65w cpu, but not constrained to 65w.

PL2 for 10600k is 182w, although this is only in 1 minute bursts, so depending on how long running the test was, it could be somewhere in between this and 125w.
Power Limit for prior 65w AMD parts has been 88w...

so it's much worse than the numbers in the article would suggest ;). 182w vs 88w.

Well, this isn't really true... 10600k isn't constrained to 125w.. it's the TDP. Same for 5600x.. it's a 65w cpu, but not constrained to 65w.

PL2 for 10600k is 182w, although this is only in 1 minute bursts, so depending on how long running the test was, it could be somewhere in between this and 125w.
Power Limit for prior 65w AMD parts has been 88w...

so it's much worse than the numbers in the article would suggest ;). 182w vs 88w.

It's even worse than that since essentially every board runs with power limits disabled, so it is constantly running at PL2.

It's even worse than that since essentially every board runs with power limits disabled, so it is constantly running at PL2.
Yeah, that's why I said it's worse than the numbers suggest. Intel TDP isn't even close to reality. At least AMD is consistent... 65w * 1.354 = ~88w... 95w * @1.354 = ~129w, 105w * 1.354 = ~142w. With Intel 125w could mean anything from 125 to 250... You have no clue unless you look up the particular models.

Yeah, that's why I said it's worse than the numbers suggest. Intel TDP isn't even close to reality. At least AMD is consistent... 65w * 1.354 = ~88w... 95w * @1.354 = ~129w, 105w * 1.354 = ~142w. With Intel 125w could mean anything from 125 to 250... You have no clue unless you look up the particular models.

I'm just referring to the one minute burst part. That 125W processor will run at 185W indefinitely in most configurations.

I think its kind of funny there havent been any gaming benchmark leaks. They are touting the 5k series to be the best in gaming....Lets see some gaming leaks!

I think its kind of funny there havent been any gaming benchmark leaks. They are touting the 5k series to be the best in gaming....Lets see some gaming leaks!
It's not really funny... games don't typically have online databases that store entries, whereas most benchmarks have been found in online submitted entries. They will arrive when the gag order is lifted but I doubt you'll see to much before then (but, sometimes we get lucky and some reviewers jump the gun).

I wonder how the new Asus X570 Dark Hero and Strix B550-XE Gaming boards are going to perform...

I wonder how the new Asus X570 Dark Hero and Strix B550-XE Gaming boards are going to perform...
According to a post on reddit from someone at Asus, the only main differences between the current hero and the dark hero are:
#1. Better VRM
#2. Passively cooled chipset
#3. Different color

From what I've read/watched the VRM on the current hero is already overkill. The passive chipset cooler is definitely nice. Color is subjective. I ordered a regular hero for my build yesterday. I don't need to spend extra money on a passively cooled chipset and I'm not worried about the VRMs.

Last edited:
According to a post on reddit from someone at Asus, the only differences between the current hero and the dark hero are:
#1. Better VRM
#2. Passively cooled chipset
#3. Different color

From what I've read/watched the VRM on the current hero is already overkill. The passive chipset cooler is definitely nice. Color is subjective. I ordered a regular hero for my build yesterday. I don't need to spend extra money on a passively cooled chipset and I'm not worried about the VRMs.

no chipset fan on the Dark Hero?...that alone is a major improvement in my book...I already have an MSI X570 Tomahawk but kudos to Asus...although $380+ for a mobo is a bit much for my tastes

Selfishly, I'm hoping that's because the 5600X is too good in games or can match the others with slight overclock.

Forget the leaks when is this thing actually going to be out? I'm not going to trust anything until i see benchmarks from people who actually have the damn thing.

I'm not saying i'm a pessimist who has an hard time believing good things are actually happening in this industry, but i'm a pessimist.

Forget the leaks when is this thing actually going to be out? I'm not going to trust anything until i see benchmarks from people who actually have the damn thing.

I'm not saying i'm a pessimist who has an hard time believing good things are actually happening in this industry, but i'm a pessimist.
They release on November 5th. Not sure when review embargoes lift.

They release on November 5th. Not sure when review embargoes lift.
Only 2 weeks away. I really hope it isnt an Nvidia style launch. I will actually line up at microcenter that day so I hope to at least get something.

Only 2 weeks away. I really hope it isnt an Nvidia style launch. I will actually line up at microcenter that day so I hope to at least get something.

Oh craps, I totally forgot we'll have to get in that MC line!

I was on tpu and saw someone linked a r20 run on a 5600x. Apparently they are in the wild.

Anyways, getting to the point, what's interesting is the CHANGE in VOLTAGE. Previous gen, hitting the boost clock which means single core boost, would require the cpu to enter into a low load, high voltage situation. This allowed the cpu to go up to 1.5v to achieve that boost clock.

The KICKER is that the 5600x below only went to 1.256v. That obviously means things have changed in that department, and potentially for overclocking there could be a lot more room to push things.

zR20multi4746.png.2f070a0f8d7098625b0ead957bbc0bde.png

I was on tpu and saw someone linked a r20 run on a 5600x. Apparently they are in the wild.

Anyways, getting to the point, what's interesting is the CHANGE in VOLTAGE. Previous gen, hitting the boost clock which means single core boost, would require the cpu to enter into a low load, high voltage situation. This allowed the cpu to go up to 1.5v to achieve that boost clock.

The KICKER is that the 5600x below only went to 1.256v. That obviously means things have changed in that department, and potentially for overclocking there could be a lot more room to push things.
We've seen more instances of chips hitting above their rated boost clocks as well, which bodes well for PBO actually doing something this time around.

I'm still torn between the 5800X and 5900X...for gaming which is the better buy?

I'm still torn between the 5800X and 5900X...for gaming which is the better buy?
I mean for gaming do you really need 12 cores from the 5900x? Though I think the 5950x like the 3950x might have the best single core performance.

In terms of dollars-per-FPS or simply outright fast, no matter the budget?

I mean for gaming do you really need 12 cores from the 5900x? Though I think the 5950x like the 3950x might have the best single core performance.

the 5800X has the single 8 CCX vs the 5900X 6+6...so just in terms of pure gaming I'm guessing the 5800X should be slightly better

No, but I don't need 707 horsepower either but I still want my Grand Cherokee Trackhawk! ;) Besides, who doesn't like rendering Monkey heads or Cinebench runs balls out. lol

looks like rocket lake caught up

now i just want to know what's offered at the $150 price range

looks like rocket lake caught up

now i just want to know what's offered at the $150 price range
I haven't paid attention to Intel lately. Caught up how? When are they releasing? Z490 or new chipset(probably new)

Last edited:
i mean in terms of apples to apples comparison. 8 core vs 8 core

I decided on the 5800X...even if the 5900X performs a bit better, it's only going to be a very small difference...plus at 1440p the difference will be even less due to it being GPU limited...I'll put that extra $100 towards a new GPU

I decided on the 5800X...even if the 5900X performs a bit better, it's only going to be a very small difference...plus at 1440p the difference will be even less due to it being GPU limited...I'll put that extra $100 towards a new GPU
are you sure? , for mere $100USD you get extra 4 cores.... I have the same dilema and I'm leaning toward 5900x. EOL for AM4, might as well get the best I can afford. You will most likely upgrade GPU in ~2-3yrs regardless what you buy today. Just my $0.02... :p

are you sure? , for mere $100USD you get extra 4 cores.... I have the same dilema and I'm leaning toward 5900x. EOL for AM4, might as well get the best I can afford. You will most likely upgrade GPU in ~2-3yrs regardless what you buy today. Just my $0.02... :p

you can't go wrong with either CPU but my thinking is that since the new generation of consoles is 8 core I don't see games exceeding that in the next 5 years outside of a few fringe cases like Flight Simulator...plus the single CCX is a big deal...if the 5900X had a single CCX I would probably go for that...the larger cache on the 5900X is split between both CCX's so it basically uses the same 32MB per CCX as the 5800X

you can't go wrong with either CPU but my thinking is that since the new generation of consoles is 8 core I don't see games exceeding that in the next 5 years outside of a few fringe cases like Flight Simulator...plus the single CCX is a big deal...if the 5900X had a single CCX I would probably go for that...the larger cache on the 5900X is split between both CCX's so it basically uses the same 32MB per CCX as the 5800X
Too be honest I wish there was a 5700x 65w for $379USD... a clear $170USD cut between 8 core and 12 core offerings. The 5800x price is a little too close to 5900x. If I'm not mistaken new PS5/xbox are based on old zen2 spec with 2 x L3 cache pools. Therefore all console games will have be optimized for using that. I guess the best thing is to wait for 3rd party full blown reviews to be able to make a concise choice.

Back