Zen 3 and NVIDIA SLI

Quick question: Is anyone actually running NVIDIA SLI with a Zen 3 chip? I tend to buy ASUS motherboards, and I see that serveral of their boards like the STRIX B550-E, STRIX X570-E, Crosshair Hero, Dark Hero, and a few others officially support it. I'm just wondering... you know... does it actually work the way it's supposed to? Are there any issues, or things I should know about before I attempt it? Right now I'm on X99, and I was considering upgrading my mobo, CPU, and RAM, while hanging on to my GPUs (2X 980TI) a little longer. TIA

id not do that sli is in itself dead and buried earth salted godzilla size dung ploped ontop burnt again salted again. needless to say its no longer worth the issues it brings. DX12 was supposed to bring it to primetime it did not its as said above worthless unless your like techtubers who can wipe there @$$ with 3090 kingpins and get them replaced indefinitely when said @$$ has wiped all over them. sli is dead and gone my fellow Enthusiast unless your one of the above who gets these handed on silver platter.

I've run it on my X570 with my Zen2 chip (3900X). It worked as expected. There is nothing about the platform itself that would prevent SLI from working as well as it did before.

id not do that sli is in itself dead and buried earth salted godzilla size dung ploped ontop burnt again salted again. needless to say its no longer worth the issues it brings. DX12 was supposed to bring it to primetime it did not its as said above worthless unless your like techtubers who can wipe there @$$ with 3090 kingpins and get them replaced indefinitely when said @$$ has wiped all over them. sli is dead and gone my fellow Enthusiast unless your one of the above who gets these handed on silver platter.

I don't see where the OP asked for general advice about SLI, or anything that would be cause for your incoherent rant.

The current status of SLI is:

Only works when using DirectX 11, with existing games that already have an SLI profile.
There will be no new DirectX 11 SLI profiles - so no new games will support SLI going forward. However, if the new game still supports DX11, you should still be able to manually enable SLI (aka without a SLI profile). Results will likely be hit-or-miss.
DirectX 12 does not work with SLI.

DirectX 12 supports Multi-GPU, but this is completely separate from SLI and must be coded directly into each game. Almost no game developers actually bother supporting it, thus Multi-GPU on DirectX 12 doesn't really exist.

No one would recommend building an SLI rig at this point. But that's not what the OP asked. If you ALREADY have an SLI setup, and it ALREADY works with the games that you care about, it will continue to work the same as it has going forward. OP was not asking about building a new system, he just wants to stick with his existing cards a bit longer. There is nothing wrong with that. In any game where SLI worked on his X99 rig, it should work with his new rig also. I'm still running 3x GTX680 in Triple-SLI in my backup computer, and for DX11 games that already support SLI, it still works great.

I hear ya, but if I dropped one of the cards I have plenty of games where my frame rate would almost get cut in half. I'm looking for confirmation that it works as advertised..

dont try this on Titan Fall 2. the performance over 1 card for me dropped about 65% and the stutters were insane. if you are into tinkering you could overcome some of the inherent flaws and use the nv inspector which may help with some games and loading profiles for games that may not work so well.

I hear ya, but if I dropped one of the cards I have plenty of games where my frame rate would almost get cut in half. I'm looking for confirmation that it works as advertised..

It will work just as well as it does for you right now on your existing machine. As long as the motherboard has SLI certification, that's all you need.

Back