Zelle/Apple Pay, etc, for in-person transactions - are they safe?

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 143938

I don't use these things. I've got a GPU I want to sell locally and I specified in the ad cash only, and found a buyer, but they want to pay in digital. I'm super hesitant about this because of how PayPal can just take your money away at the whim of the buyer.

Once a buyer sends money to you, can they pull it back somehow after I hand over the card like can happen with PP? Or is it final? Can they dispute the transaction with their CC company and the CC company takes the money away?

It's for a $1250 transaction and ATMs have a $500 withdrawl limit/day so we're trying to figure out how to do it, and he's pressing on digital payments. I'm just worried of being scammed unless I get paid in cash (and even then, worried about getting a few fake bills slipped in, lol)

I'm asking for a $100 finder's fee for the card. This is becoming a hassle and I'm almost tempted to just return the card to MC instead of risking being ripped off for $100

If you do not use goods and services on PayPal, the money can’t be taken back. Zelle is also very safe in that aspect. Or just wait until the person can go to the bank. If they have access to an atm they should have a bank account.

If you do not use goods and services on PayPal, the money can’t be taken back. Zelle is also very safe in that aspect. Or just wait until the person can go to the bank. If they have access to an atm they should have a bank account.
The problem is the $500/day typical withdrawl limit and it's for a $1250 transaction.

So if they pay with Zelle, I should be safe from some kind of chargeback on their part? Is there some fee associated with it?

They can walk inside the bank and take as much as is in the account, I believe is what he was meaning when he said they have a bank account if they have an ATM card.
The problem is the $500/day typical withdrawl limit and it's for a $1250 transaction.

So if they pay with Zelle, I should be safe from some kind of chargeback on their part?

I'd wait for the person to go to the bank...........people spending $1250 on a GPU should be able to get the cash, at least that is what I would like to think.
Also, some ATMs in the lobby or in the bank itself have higher limits, larger bills, etc......at least at all the Chase banks I go to.

So if they pay with Zelle, I should be safe from some kind of chargeback on their part? Is there some fee associated with it?
If they walk into a bank that’s not an issue. I can pull WAY more than 1250 from a bank. Anyone with an account also can.

if they have a atm card tied to their own account, they can walk in and withdraw 1250.

If they walk into a bank that’s not an issue. I can pull WAY more than 1250 from a bank. Anyone with an account also can.

if they have a atm card tied to their own account, they can walk in and withdraw 1250.
Oh ok, sweet, good to know! I will insist on cash only then.
But would be nice to know for the future if Zelle is safe for these things. Sounds like it is ok?

While true, at a certain value (can't remember the value) all sort of things are triggered (forms, etc.) with regards to the transaction.

I never take digital for in person anything. There are too many scams - up to and including of course ones I don't know about.

I'm in LA so my market is more than big enough to be picky. If someone wants what I have to sell, they'll figure out how to show up with the cash.

I'm pretty cut and dry on all the Marketplaces though and I'm generally pretty patient and willing to wait. If you're impatient then generally speaking all of these things will feel like a much bigger annoyance.
I also state all my terms clearly at the top of every ad. Things like: cash only, you come to me, no trades, etc etc. Basically all of the stuff to protect my time and not deal with people's bullshit. Again, if they want it, they'll come and show up with the cash. I've had people try to haggle me down when meeting in person - which is why I force people to come to me now - cause at this point I'm more than willing to just walk away and wait for the next guy and again, I'm sick of people's bullshit. As a result until people get to a place of being communicative, I'm generally pretty curt. But I have to say it's pretty obvious even from the first message versus someone that is wasting my time. I still respond to "do you still have it?" checks but they get a one word answer. And if I'm really feeling like a dick: a "read the entire listing" response as again most of my ads will state: if it's still up then I still have it and similar remarks.

On the flip side though, in terms of being a "good seller" I'm very descriptive of condition and pictures and I call a spade a spade. So people have as complete of information as I can give inside of the listing. In other words I don't waste other people's time either by 'neglecting' to put certain pieces of info in the listing to 'avoid' making my listing sound worse (I show all scratches and condition, give a rating, full itemization of all things whatever I'm selling comes with. For a lot of camera gear I give 'hidden' information as well, things like shutter counts are an often requested piece of information). Then it allows buyers to be informed and negotiation can start from a place of relatively equal knowledge and I don't bait and switch. Although I will also admit that I do plenty of research on the value of what I'm selling and I rarely take lower offers as I generally price things at the market value.

Anyway, that's the overall general rundown of what I consider to be best practices on local selling sites. Definitely don't do anything you're uncomfortable with. Don't let anyone convince you to either. If you don't feel good about a transaction for any reason, just walk away. The big regrets always come from pushing through bad gut feelings.

---

And for reference even in regards to what people are talking about in this thread, I've done $2500+ transactions in cash. While that's on the "high end", I've done many $1000+ cash transactions. Most of what I'm buying and selling is camera gear and none of it is cheap. Most lenses that are worth anything start at $500, most camera bodies that I deal in are $1000+. If they're in the market for what you're selling they'll figure it out.

Last edited:
While true, at a certain value (can't remember the value) all sort of things are triggered (forms, etc.) with regards to the transaction.
Much much higher than 1250. In my state it’s 10k cash withdrawal or more.

I never take digital for in person anything. There are too many scams - up to and including of course ones I don't know about.

I'm in LA so my market is more than big enough to be picky. If someone wants what I have to sell, they'll figure out how to show up with the cash.

I'm pretty cut and dry on all the Marketplaces though and I'm generally pretty patient and willing to wait. If you're impatient then generally speaking all of these things will feel like a much bigger annoyance.
I also state all my terms clearly at the top of every ad. Things like: cash only, you come to me, no trades, etc etc. Basically all of the stuff to protect my time and not deal with people's bullshit. Again, if they want it, they'll come and show up with the cash. I've had people try to haggle me down when meeting in person - which is why I force people to come to me now - cause at this point I'm more than willing to just walk away and wait for the next guy and again, I'm sick of people's bullshit. As a result until people get to a place of being communicative, I'm generally pretty curt. But I have to say it's pretty obvious even from the first message versus someone that is wasting my time. I still respond to "do you still have it?" checks but they get a one word answer. And if I'm really feeling like a dick: a "read the entire listing" response as again most of my ads will state: if it's still up then I still have it and similar remarks.

On the flip side though, in terms of being a "good seller" I'm very descriptive of condition and pictures and I call a spade a spade. So people have as complete of information as I can give inside of the listing. In other words I don't waste other people's time either by 'neglecting' to put certain pieces of info in the listing to 'avoid' making my listing sound worse (I show all scratches and condition, give a rating, full itemization of all things whatever I'm selling comes with. For a lot of camera gear I give 'hidden' information as well, things like shutter counts are an often requested piece of information). Then it allows buyers to be informed and negotiation can start from a place of relatively equal knowledge and I don't bait and switch. Although I will also admit that I do plenty of research on the value of what I'm selling and I rarely take lower offers as I generally price things at the market value.

Anyway, that's the overall general rundown of what I consider to be best practices on local selling sites. Definitely don't do anything you're uncomfortable with. Don't let anyone convince you to either. If you don't feel good about a transaction for any reason, just walk away. The big regrets always come from pushing through bad gut feelings.

---

And for reference even in regards to what people are talking about in this thread, I've done $2500+ transactions in cash. While that's on the "high end", I've done many $1000+ cash transactions. Most of what I'm buying and selling is camera gear and none of it is cheap. Most lenses that are worth anything start at $500, most camera bodies that I deal in are $1000+. If they're in the market for what you're selling they'll figure it out.
Spoke to me pretty well. Thank you

THIS! Cash only. Meet at the buyer's bank and get it all in cash. It'll be safer for you to make sure the money is legit and you won't get jacked.

Also, not to tbe that guy but this thread doesn't belong in TTT.
My bad, I thought this would be the appropriate place because of the "tips" part. GenMay type of question, then?

I have paid for and received local payments in Zelle without ever any issues. I have had people I buy things from only accept Zelle because cash can be fake; a lot of high volume seller around me on offerup do this and I talked to a couple of them about their experience doing this and never any issues whatsoever. As good as real cash and way more convenient.

Yep. It is "tips" but for something that did not or will not happen on the forum. :)
I would say: "who cares?" There isn't really a better place on this forum for the question. Posting it into General Hardware or GenMay fits a heck of a lot less. At least whoever sees this has trading and selling immediately on their mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back