Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Master Mode, 13 hearts, no stamina upgrade.
What a fucking nightmare.

VcfRN4f.png

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
I know that some people like that type of challenge. I am certainly not one of them. As you say, it sounds like a nightmare.

I like some hard games, classics, some new, but not when it's an artificially created mode like this. (where it limits resources, health, etc.) I'm fine without the bragging rights. :D

How? I've played about 15 hours, and the game just seems to get monotonous. Maybe I'm missing something.

No crap, it was a great game to play once. No idea how you can play it again.

Maybe 10 years from now i could dabble.

I don't know, I played through about half of it once when it came out (not going for 100% collections or anything) and then lost the USB stick that I had it and my saves on. Now my daughters and I are playing it again and are much further in, and collecting armor sets, and doing other things that I never did the first time. Still having quite a bit of fun with it. I'd say it's worth more than one play, but maybe if you sunk hundreds of hours in you might want to give it a rest for a couple of years. :D

Decided to pull the Sword on my current run (past playthroughs were Blood Moon challenges and the Master Sword is overpowered).

This time I cleared all 3 trials on the first try! Took a little under 3 hours total. The Final Trials really are too easy, Nintendo severely over-estimated how strong Guardian enemies are. The Ancient Arrows trivialize all of the hard spots as well, and I finished with ALL NINE FAIRIES. Yes, the game gives you NINE in Finals.

RmcGtlA.png

like this
So yeah... i'm necroing this thread...

I have tried starting BoTW at least 4 times since buying my Switch shortly after it's launch and every time I lost interest for a couple reason... too big of a open world that's mostly full of nothing which in-turn turned into too much running from area to area. I also hated the game and still dislike this mechanic; which is that weapons break. I am loving the game now, but really? I shoot like 5 arrows and the damn bow breaks? Or I hit a monster a couple times and a sword made out of solid steel breaks? I know the game was not going for realism, but it can get annoying. I do get weapons regularly that it's not much of an issue to me, but I still hate the mechanic b/c if adds absolutely nothing to the game instead of constantly having to decide now which shittier weapon do I want to drop for a slightly less shittier weapon. I also don't like how nowhere does it show you how much life a particular weapon has unless it's blinking red which is bullshit.

...aaanyway this went off topic because I originally wanted to say how I just realized how about 10 hours in or however long i've been playing that I haven't been using horses at all. I've literally been running and gliding everywhere. I actually don't mind it b/c it gives me the opportunity to explore more, but how do I better utilize the horses? I know in the beginning I had to snag one and I used it for a while, but I must have gotten off at some point and left it b/c I could never find it again. Pressing down on the d-pad Link whistles for what I am guessing is a horse, but one never comes. There are horse stables all over where I can "check in" a horse, but I figure that's so I can use that horse anywhere? Like if I go to a new section that horse will be in the stable? What if I get off the horse and leave will my check-in horse still be in the stable, or do I need to bring horse after horse into the stable in order to always have a horse in the stables if for some reason I get separated from one?

The more I think about it the more I think how useless horses are b/c some of the areas i've gone to to find temples, or climbing to castles, or going to mountain tops to look for Korok seeds I would definitely leave many horses behind so I am not sure about the whole horse situation.

Also that weird thing you give Korok seeds to has disappeared after the first I think 2 times I went back to it to expand my inventory but I have no idea where it went to. Anyone know where I can find that tree looking thing with the maracas?

Last edited:
I ran everywhere once, then warped and ran for the rest of the game. Never used horses, never really did cooking.

I thought all the interaction, dialogue, and needed button clicking really took away from the open world ambiance of the game. If you loot a mob, it should auto drop a weapon for the one you are looting if it's better... like how is that not a thing. Spent way to long in dialogue boxes dropping shit for such a wonderful game. Why does it take so long to stable a horse, one button and go away. Why do some dumb little dance when i'm cooking?

Nothing is ever perfect.

So yeah... i'm necroing this thread...

I have tried starting BoTW at least 4 times since buying my Switch shortly after it's launch and every time I lost interest for a couple reason... too big of a open world that's mostly full of nothing which in-turn turned into too much running from area to area. I also hated the game and still dislike this mechanic; which is that weapons break. I am loving the game now, but really? I shoot like 5 arrows and the damn bow breaks? Or I hit a monster a couple times and a sword made out of solid steel breaks? I know the game was not going for realism, but it can get annoying. I do get weapons regularly that it's not much of an issue to me, but I still hate the mechanic b/c if adds absolutely nothing to the game instead of constantly having to decide now which shittier weapon do I want to drop for a slightly less shittier weapon. I also don't like how nowhere does it show you how much life a particular weapon has unless it's blinking red which is bullshit.

...aaanyway this went off topic because I originally wanted to say how I just realized how about 10 hours in or however long i've been playing that I haven't been using horses at all. I've literally been running and gliding everywhere. I actually don't mind it b/c it gives me the opportunity to explore more, but how do I better utilize the horses? I know in the beginning I had to snag one and I used it for a while, but I must have gotten off at some point and left it b/c I could never find it again. Pressing down on the d-pad Link whistles for what I am guessing is a horse, but one never comes. There are horse stables all over where I can "check in" a horse, but I figure that's so I can use that horse anywhere? Like if I go to a new section that horse will be in the stable? What if I get off the horse and leave will my check-in horse still be in the stable, or do I need to bring horse after horse into the stable in order to always have a horse in the stables if for some reason I get separated from one?

The most I think about it the more I think how useless horses are b/c some of the areas i've gone to to find temples, or climbing to castles, or going to mountain tops to look for Korok seeds I would definitely leave many horses behind so I am not sure about the whole horse situation.

Also that weird thing you give Korok seeds to has disappeared after the first I think 2 times I went back to it to expand my inventory but I have no idea where it went to. Anyone know where I can find that tree looking thing with the maracas?
Don't feel like you need to play this game. It is not garbage but it is truly over rated.

There is Ancient horse armor which allows you to summon your horse from anywhere (it will warp to you).
It's a DLC item, so you need to own it. But it's very easy to get in game.

like this
I ran everywhere once, then warped and ran for the rest of the game. Never used horses, never really did cooking.

I thought all the interaction, dialogue, and needed button clicking really took away from the open world ambiance of the game. If you loot a mob, it should auto drop a weapon for the one you are looting if it's better... like how is that not a thing. Spent way to long in dialogue boxes dropping shit for such a wonderful game. Why does it take so long to stable a horse, one button and go away. Why do some dumb little dance when i'm cooking?

Nothing is ever perfect.

I totally get where you're coming from. Cooking at least can be skipped if you press the X button... as soon as you start cooking you press X and it skips to whatever concoction you created. The looting and dropping stuff gets really old too. Like a item on the ground I can't see what score it is all it says is if it's better or worse than the current weapon I have equipped, but say I think I have a shittier weapon in my inventory that I want to swap the one on the ground with I have to go in my inventory, select that item to see it's score, and then drop it, go back to the game and pick up the weapon I now have a slot for, go into my inventory, find the weapon and if it's higher damage than the one I just dropped then great, however there has been a instance where the weapon I dropped was still more powerful than the new one on the ground. The problem is that the pop-up you get when you pick up a new weapon with it's damage score and description only happens when you first find a new weapon.

This guy bounces around a bit so you may need to Google it until he makes his resting place in the Lost Woods. I think his second place is on a road left of Hylia River. He's just north from one of those horse stables.

I feel you on the durability mechanic. I never actually finished the game because of it. I know they wanted to get people to use different weapons, but they went way overboard. I shouldn't have to worry about my weapon breaking after killing 2 or 3 trash mobs. I found out recently that the emulator version of the game has mods that allow you to disable durability, so I may actually give that a try because I enjoyed basically everything else...the durability mechanic was game breaking for me.

I found out recently that the emulator version of the game has mods that allow you to disable durability, so I may actually give that a try because I enjoyed basically everything else...the durability mechanic was game breaking for me.

Damn I wish I knew about this before I started. Oh well I am used to it at this point, but it keeps the game from being great in my opinion.

I had a hard time getting into the game but once I got far enough I got pretty hooked. Like many others, I hated the weapon durability mechanic. I feel they broke too fast and should’ve lasted at least twice as long.

So I was exploring last night and I came across this... it looks out of place and I tried and tried but had no idea what to do with it... figured there'd be a Korok seed or something here. 2nd pic is of the location.

B3dF616.jpg

bELH8Gy.jpg

How? I've played about 15 hours, and the game just seems to get monotonous. Maybe I'm missing something.
I have not been able to get into this game like everyone in my family has. Although it is a ton of fun to watch and help with the shrines and divine beasts. I may have 3 hours total while my wife and kids have spent a lot of time on it. It looks like a very in-depth fantastic game.

I beat it 6 or 7 times, around 600 hrs played. My last playthru I reached 100% without fast traveling. And the blood moon challenge, that was fun.

Thinking about doing another playthru to see how much CEMU has improved.

BOTW was the biggest reason I got my switch a couple of weeks ago. Been doing a mostly Google free playthrough and have been enjoying it.

My biggest gripe was the weapon/shield breaking. But it's become one of my favorite things. Makes me think about what to use and where. And with googleing 'x game walkthrough' being a very easy tactic for games now. It reminds me of the challenge I faced with the first Zelda and ALTTP(first game I ever beat)

All in all I've been enjoying it

like this
So I was exploring last night and I came across this... it looks out of place and I tried and tried but had no idea what to do with it... figured there'd be a Korok seed or something here. 2nd pic is of the location.

View attachment 182241

View attachment 182240

Was that the first puzzle you've seen like that? There's been a few of them I've ran across and solved them all so far. You just have to use your telekinesis power to move the only brick that's compatible with it into the same pattern as the other complete set of bricks. Sometimes it involves moving a brick from one stack to another stack too. But yeah, that's for a Korok seed.

Just started what is probably my 8th or 9th playthrough. This time CEMU is capable of proper 60fps without bugs. At 4K, I'm getting slight dips into the high 50's, bumping it down one notch and it sits at 60.

Playing as Linkle, too. They did really great work on that mod... You can even get into the Gerudo Town without the female outfit since Linkle is actually a girl.

https://gamebanana.com/skins/163132

F1dRvMY.png

Last edited:
Nice! I have a Switch and a Wii U, but I still feel like I need to give this emulator a good whirling sometime.

Cemu went from borderline unusable to pretty good in a hurry. It isn't exactly Dolphin, but it definitely works well now. My only issue is that there were only a few WiiU games I actually liked, and two of them (MK and Smash) already got upgraded Switch ports.

The biggest issue I have these days is crashing. I get a crash every 10 hours or so of gameplay. Some of them are big crashes too, it deletes my autosaves (all I have is my most recent manual save) and I had one actually delete all of my in-game settings. Based on what I know about the emulator I am 99% certain it's caused by the triple-core compiler. I played many hundreds of hours on the single-core compiler @ 30fps and had zero crashes. It just gets unstable with more cores, but they are necessary for 60fps. If I drop to the dual-core compiler, I lose fps in dense areas.

Other than that... Some issues with arrows not hitting togglable objects (Korok jars, orange/blue switches), the arrow will hit the object but nothing happens. There's also some rainbow texture glitches that happen after pre-rendered cutscenes, I've only had that happen twice so far (Cemu 1.17.3), though. Also, sometimes the icons from the load screens will get stuck in the top-right corner during gameplay, this bug is caused by loading too fast at 60fps, ironically. I'm also running a handful of mods, they could be causing issues as well but the problems aren't big enough to justify turning them off.

To reiterate, all of these are issues with the multi-core compilers and 60fps. Modders and CEMU devs have done a good job macgyver'ing the emulator to work in ways the original consoles don't. It's still not 'perfect' but CEMU has been a better experience than the consoles since early 2018 when they added the new compilers. Considering the WiiU/Switch run the game at 720p/900p 25~30fps. Pretty much any gaming PC within the last 5+ years will do better.

Cemu went from borderline unusable to pretty good in a hurry.

Mainly due to an insane influx in Patreon funding around the time that BotW released. At one point they were getting $40k a month.

I'm back on the WiiU for the first time since 2017, about 50 hours into a new 100% playthrough. Also doing No FT, Blood Moon challenge, and looting all chests.
My current progress map below.

Some observations about the console vs CEMU: Motion controls are amazing, buying an Xbox One controller for CEMU was a terrible idea, it's so much easier to hit headshots with the gyro. And yes I have a PS4 controller I just don't like it. FPS wise the game drops to 20fps with any kind of action on the screen, in any town/stable, or any dense environment like the jungle area. The console version definitely has better rain detection for slippery surfaces and cover, there are also a few other minor graphical querks I noticed that were in CEMU mostly related to particle and glow effects, although I remember reading about that on Reddit a long time ago. Also missing mods... :(

RI4diPY.jpg

Last edited:
I'm back on the WiiU for the first time since 2017, about 50 hours into a new 100% playthrough. Also doing No FT, Blood Moon challenge, and looting all chests.
My current progress map below.

Some observations about the console vs CEMU: Motion controls are amazing, buying an Xbox One controller for CEMU was a terrible idea, it's so much easier to hit headshots with the gyro. And yes I have a PS4 controller I just don't like it. FPS wise the game drops to 20fps with any kind of action on the screen, in any town/stable, or any dense environment like the jungle area. The console version definitely has better rain detection for slippery surfaces and cover, there are also a few other minor graphical querks I noticed that were in CEMU mostly related to particle and glow effects, although I remember reading about that on Reddit a long time ago. Also missing mods... :(

View attachment 309907

For this game, (both Wii-U and Switch versions) I turn on my TV's framerate smoothing. It doesn't really incur any noticeable latency (especially for this game) and it makes it look like it's a 60+FPS game. If you're on a TV that has a decent smoothing feature, you might want to give it a try. I actually forget that this game doesn't run at 60. I don't recommend this for all games, but some seem to benefit quite a bit.

Back