Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Good drops from Lynels. Gems and weapons, shields.

I might give it a go. One of the strangest things is that I have a full stock of really good gear and a lot of what I'm doing involves dropping one good weapon for one that might be a hair better...or not.
I have like 8 Royal Broadsword's and the Master Sword, but the nature of the game's inventory is always forcing me to drop stuff to pick up a torch or whatever.

I know it is annoying dropping stuff. It is a flaw in the game. Expanding your inventory helps, but really it makes this game a bit tedious. Also arrows are way too scarce.

The cost of taking down a lynel is a good host of weapons. I can go through 5-6 durability+ ones on the blue/grey ones. They are still near 1 shotting me with arrows and doing 6-8 hearts with level 3 gear. The payoff is parts for upgrades. I'd farm red ones though if just looking for parts.

Ok, i found a serious game flaw, or if you want to beat the game in hard mode, you an voluntarily do it.

On the island in the bottom far right, the one that takes all your equipment, like a jackass i tossed the orange orb off the highest mountain. It is near freaking impossible to get back up there, i had to get real creative.

You can't warp away, all your stuff is gone, you can't make the ball respawn(i tried, only cost me a few hours getting it back). Eventually i got it up there though.

I have avoided that corner shrine like a plague. I will eventually do it, it's just the first time I explored it, I was early in the game and got owned so badly.

If you just want to cross it off your list, you can dump all your weapons on a raft, get off and start the island, and all your gear is still on the raft. Pick it up again and you're fully loaded. But... it kind of takes the fun out of the challenge.

I was super pissed when I eventually figured out you can just sneak onto the sleeping Hynox and take the ball off his neck.

Sorta glad I didn't read this thread before finishing 120. I did that island shrine last and I toughed it out. I took out all the lower enemies, made some food and then went toe to toe with the hynox. I ran out of arrows, not much to begin with but since I went thru a night I had a ton of bokobin arms so I threw them at the hynox eye to stun him. Broke all the weapons I had then I saw he had 2 on him so I stole them off of him and wailed on him so more. If you don't stealth it out, you can win by not taking a hit. His butt drop attack and grab do like 8+ heart damage. I was at 119 shrines already so I could afford a long fight.

Oh, that one glitched in my favor. The Hynox just stood there while I lobbed bombs at him for 8 or so min.

But you shouldn't be going through any shields vs a Lynel.

Annoyingly, the game only gives one, nonrepeatable course on extremely critical dodge/parry practice (the shrine closest to Kakariko village). The parry makes big/flying Guardians very easy to defeat, dodging makes the smaller guardians in the shrines easy to defeat (along with almost every other enemy). All without robbing shield durability. Now I am farming Guardians in the vain hopes one of them will have an Ancient Core to drop (I seem to have better luck getting those from the flyers).

Farming dragons is tedious. Link's tunic armor looks awesome though, feels like a true Zelda game. Minus the bow.

See, this is what's so awesome about this game. There are so many different ways of accomplishing the same thing - my playthrough is completely different than someone else's. It encourages thinking things through ahead of time and creativity.

I was super pissed when I eventually figured out you can just sneak onto the sleeping Hynox and take the ball off his neck.

I killed him with blue bombs as he chased me around. He's not a very strong one, you can chop him down at his legs if need be as well.

Got it up and running on CEMU. Averaging only 20fps but the game itself looks pretty decent. I probably won't bother with it until performance is solid 30fps+.

I would never play this on a Emulator controller support would be wonky cause of the prompts.

Is the version of CEMU that works so much better actually available yet? The readily available one seems to still be an older version. Not like I would have the means to play it anyway.

I don't think the prompts would bother me all that much, but I do hate the fact that Nintendo's implementation of XYAB is straight up backwards from Microsoft's. I screw that up constantly, especially since the pro controller mirrors an Xbox pad.

I just killed my second Divine Beast, the firebird. After the long, ultra-elaborate process to ridding Zora's domain of the elephant, this was cake. It only took about 35-40 minutes instead of 3 hours. The boss didn't even hit me.

Is the version of CEMU that works so much better actually available yet? The readily available one seems to still be an older version. Not like I would have the means to play it anyway.

1.7.4 will be out for non-Patreon users on April 9th.

Beast #3 down. It does feel like that when you get the Master Sword, combat is a lot easier. You're no longer breaking every 30 seconds, plus by that point you have a decent amount of hearts and stamina.
The game is a hell of a lot less tedious when you have an extra 1/2 stamina bar or more. You can finally jump up most walls instead of waiting for Link's slow ass climb.
Even with that, the Garudo area, Divine Beast puzzle, and final in the desert were much, much harder than the firebird in the northwest.
I think my plan is to clear out the 4th beast and head for the finale in the next couple days.

I'm not very far into the game, just got to Zora's Domain, but I seem to be getting one-shot a lot. I have 5 hearts and the Hylian armor set.

Am I supposed to be cooking and eating some sort of food that increases defense? Or did I miss some amazing armor set or a bunch of shrines? Or is one-shotting expected and I should just reload and l2dodge?

I'm not very far into the game, just got to Zora's Domain, but I seem to be getting one-shot a lot. I have 5 hearts and the Hylian armor set.

Am I supposed to be cooking and eating some sort of food that increases defense? Or did I miss some amazing armor set or a bunch of shrines? Or is one-shotting expected and I should just reload and l2dodge?

In general, I find that attacks either do next to no damage or they do a boatload. That's even with an armor set that has been leveled up a bit and 10 hearts. Large enemies can still take off 2/3 of my health and I have a +2 Hylian set and 14 hearts. I usually just circle strafe them or just don't even bother fighting. There isn't much point unless you're in need of a weapon they're carrying.
With Zora's area, there are some enemies that have shock arrows and lots of rain/puddles, so that's compounded a bit. I used archery a decent amount at that stage of the game. Another easy option is to abuse bombs. Just toss bombs at enemies and hit them with your sword or bow after they land from being blown up. Bombs don't hurt much, but they do leave enemies wide open. Once you power them up (via the tech lab) they even start to do a decent amount of damage.

Basically, it boils down to either A) Get Good, B) Shrine Hunt like a mofo, or C) Mass Food/Potion Preparation (attack, defense, bonus hearts, anti-element, etc.).

There isn't really any super armor to be found as everything must be upgraded multiple times to increase its defense.

I would suggest going on a shrine hunt as that will net you hearts/stamina, kokoru seeds, food ingredients, monster parts, and even a decent weapon or two while exploring.

Basically, it boils down to either A) Get Good, B) Shrine Hunt like a mofo, or C) Mass Food/Potion Preparation (attack, defense, bonus hearts, anti-element, etc.).

There isn't really any super armor to be found as everything must be upgraded multiple times to increase its defense.

I would suggest going on a shrine hunt as that will net you hearts/stamina, kokoru seeds, food ingredients, monster parts, and even a decent weapon or two while exploring.

Actually, I would suggest a balance of all of your points. :D Do a bit of shrine hunting, and get a few hearts, and AT LEAST two stamina upgrades. I would learn a few combat skills (a couple of the shrines teach them). The jump dodges (similar to the ones in Twilight Princess) can be REALLY helpful. If you target an enemy, and side-jump while they swing, you can then get in close and deliver several hits before they can move again. Little things like that. As mentioned above also, throw a lot of bombs. They really help, and you have as many as you want. Use a bow from a distance to weaken enemies a bit before you get near them. If there are powder kegs, exploit them. etc. etc. I went to Zora's Domain pretty early in the game, and it was a little rough at first, so I left and hit a few more shrines. It wasn't so bad when I went back. I haven't cooked a single item yet. :D I just collect a hell of a lot of readily edible items like mushrooms, mass quantities of apples, radishes and fish. Seems to do the trick most of the time. Just a little tedious. Also carry as many fairies as you can find. Oh, and find a place that has a decent difficulty level (I found a few places by the beach town, and a few in the mountains) where enemies drop some decent weapons. Stock up on half-decent weapons in those areas, heal yourself, save your game, and then journey back to whatever you were trying to do. Having some better weapons helps quite a bit too.

Farmed dragons, upgraded armor, bought a ton of ancient arrows. Will finish the game tomorrow as I'm not sure there are any distraction quests for me to do.

I still haven't killed a dragon. For that matter, I've barely even seen any in a while. At least unless you count removing the corruption from the one on top of the snowy peak to the south. I suppose I should figure out how to go about doing that. I'm pretty much broke after buying all of the environmental armor sets that let you explore the 4 corners without losing life constantly.
People say the snowball game is a good way to get money, but it seems a little inconsistent to me.

I still haven't killed a dragon. For that matter, I've barely even seen any in a while. At least unless you count removing the corruption from the one on top of the snowy peak to the south. I suppose I should figure out how to go about doing that. I'm pretty much broke after buying all of the environmental armor sets that let you explore the 4 corners without losing life constantly.
People say the snowball game is a good way to get money, but it seems a little inconsistent to me.

None of the dragons can be killed that I'm aware of, and the only one you have to clear corruption from is the one on Mt. Lanayru.

I also agree about the snowball bowling. Seems like it's better to just go around and farm ores, but I don't know where a good place to find them consistently is.

I haven't either. I do see the green one in the lake quite a bit. I actually don't want to kill it. It doesn't attack, and just floats around. It's kind of peaceful. I guess eventually I'll have to attack it though.

The dragons were put there as a time sink for certain crafting materials. If you're near one you should probably just shoot them anyway to get the items, no reason not to.

The dragons were put there as a time sink for certain crafting materials. If you're near one you should probably just shoot them anyway to get the items, no reason not to.

I figured as much. Just haven't actually tried it yet. Hadn't really looked into it either as I've been busy with other things in the game. Also, the dragons/spirits in Skyward Sword were actually good, so I didn't really know what purpose they served in this one.

Tips for $.

Ores have been my best money maker. Luminous stones seem to have no use other than to make me $. You can farm stone talus really early on every blood moon respawns them. To kill them, don't run, hide around their feet and keep trying to climb them from the back. You'll eventually latch on then you can get on top and wail on it, even at low level. You can get some free hits if their weak spot is exposed by gliding down on top of it and wailing on them hard. You'll be pushing 50+ ores within a days worth of time. Farm the dragons every chance you get. Needed for upgrades, note get star fragments too, level 4 gear requires it.

If you clear DM, there is a gerudo lady who pays more for some ores like amber and topaz than normal stores so you can quickly find yourself puling in 1k amounts quickly. The 3rd level fairy requires 10k rupees as fair warning.

I actually have tons and tons of ore and minerals. Do those have uses beyond selling? I could probably pull 15-20K if I sold everything now.

Yeah, I already have around $5000 that I consider surplus to my current needs, and so much ore and minerals, that I could easily triple that or more if I sold them. Just haven't found a need at the stage I'm at. I still haven't been even close to everywhere yet though. Just exploring a bit here and there.

the fastest farming is Farosh's horn. I tried it last night and it's 10x better than snowball bowling, which for me was difficult.
There's youtube videos on the exact spot. You camp inside the cliffside cave that is just north of Riola Spring (SW of Mt. Floria). Campfire to wait until morning, float up with the air draft and fire a single arrow at Farosh's horn as he comes up out of the lake.
Land on the ground, relight the campfire and wait until morning again.

Each horn is 300 rupees and you can easily repeat this cycle in 20 seconds. The snowball bowling was far too much time talking to the guy and I had a hard time bowling strikes.

Shooting the horn is stupid easy, guaranteed with a golden bow.
The horn shards stay on the ground so you can shoot him 50+ times before going to pick them all up.

50 horn shards * 300 = 15,000 rupees in <20 mins

Now I can buy arrows from any vendor at 6 rupees each, and I don't care about the cost. I also bought the entire set of ancient armor (6,000 rupees) last night and paid for my 3,000 rupee house.

Yeah I farmed around 100 horns in my playthrough. Good for rupees, they also make 30-minute food. With the all the Bananas you can pretty much get a permanent attack buff.

For regular arrows, go to the spot shown in this video. Then stand still and turn your camera all the way above Link's head. The arrows will land at your feet. Takes about half an hour to get 999.

I actually have tons and tons of ore and minerals. Do those have uses beyond selling? I could probably pull 15-20K if I sold everything now.

You can use sapphire, rubies, topaz, and diamonds to upgrade the various circlets. Sapphire = cold resist circlet, Topaz = lightning, Ruby = fire, diamond = guardian resist.

I cleared the last (for me the Goron) of the divine beasts last night. After the Gerudo one, it was a breeze even if the quest to get to it was a pain.
I ended up selling all of my gems and minerals just because I don't really care about circlet upgrades. I netted something like $15K since I hadn't used any of that stuff before. I conveniently ran into the Gerudo on Death Mountain, so I figured I might as well just dump it all and upgrade my Hylian outfit all the way. I like the way it looks when you dye it green and it's all-purpose.

I suppose I'll go after Ganon in the next day or two. It's been a fun ride, but I think I'm kinda done with hunting for temples, nuts, and weapons that I already have better versions of.
The game is massive, but unlike the Witcher, there isn't a ton of motivation to do as much thanks to the plots being pretty sparse. The attention to detail and the use of space is really great, though.

I stuck with the hylian outfit maxed out and green as well. Once I got the tunic of the wild, I upgraded that (84 def). I can now go toe to toe with a grey lynel and not worry about taking a few hits.

Welp, I won the game yesterday. The final battles and areas are pretty anti-climactic in terms of difficulty. The toughest foes in the game are probably just Lynels. Well, that any anything that requires regular use of a shield. I found Link's ability to face enemies correctly with his shield to be inconsistent, so I guess there's that.
If you've been putting off the final battle for one reason or another, you might as well just give it a go. It keeps a save right before the final battle and you can bail from the castle area whenever you feel like. There are even a few good items to be had in there, although it's not like you really need much of anything beyond the Master Sword and a couple of bows that don't suck. You can reflect guardian blasts just as well with a pot lid as you can with the Hylian shield, so it's not like that matters all that much.

Not sure if I'll go back and do more of the side stuff or not. It's one of those situations where it feels like you're powering up for a confrontation that never actually occurs, so my motivation isn't that high.

Anyone doing 900 korok seeds lol? I was done at 107, I can't imagine going for the rest.

Agree on the final fight, I felt overpowered, but then again, I prepped by upgrading everything so I guess it was over preparation.

I stopped at just under 50 temples and 50 seeds. I mainly allocated my seeds toward weapons and bows since shields matter so little. With the temples I had 14 hearts (4 coming from the Divine Beasts) and about 80% of a second stamina bar. Seemed like plenty to me. Anything more is just being a completionist. I'm notorious for doing all of the side stuff in games like Far Cry and the Witcher, but this one didn't really motivate me thanks to the difficulty not coming from battles.

IMHO the final fight was more about cinematic experience than challenge. I was ok with it.

Back