Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Finally completed the game. 32.75%. Make sure your Master Sword is fully charged before the fight, and it should last the entire fight, assuming you freed all 4 divine beasts. Also, make sure you have a ton of shields. The last fight primarily relies upon your ability to Perfect Guard. I messed this up quite a few times. Though, like many other games, his final form was very disappointing. But I can understand wanting to give people a calm, cinematic boss battle. Too bad you can't keep that bow.

How many hours did it take you to get there? I just checked yesterday and I've completed one divine beast and I'm at 30 hours already... :eek:

I just passed 130 hours and Ganon is still alive. Aside from a bunch of side quests and around 600 Korok seeds, it's all I have left to do.

It's pretty easy to waste time just running around and seeing what you encounter. No clue how it stacks up with the Witcher or GTA5, but it certainly feels like it could have the single largest game world around. I don't count Daggerfall's auto-generated real-scale world or The Crew's giant racing world, but it's definitely on par with anything else out there.

According to my profile page, it says "Played for 85 hours or more". After you complete the game, it lets you know how many side quests you missed, etc.

This blood moon shrine is the stupidest piece of shit quest ever. By the time you warp there you have seconds to sprint. Twice I haven't made it. Ridiculous

This blood moon shrine is the stupidest piece of shit quest ever. By the time you warp there you have seconds to sprint. Twice I haven't made it. Ridiculous

Gah make the blood moon come back....

:(

I thought the shrine was supposed to be active the entire night. Anyway just make sure you're using the closest fast travel point. There's a tower/shrine about 100 yards directly east of the pad, you should be able to glide right down onto it.

If there was a way we could manually trigger Blood Moons I would play the game a lot more. Even if we had to pay Rupees for it.

The blood moon is active from 9 PM through midnight. Just make camp and sleep until night. Run to the top of the shrine. If it doesn't activate, sleep again until the next night. Repeat until it finally unlocks.

The Blood Moon pops at Midnight, and I hit the shrine about 30 seconds after that. So it definitely stays active longer.

The blood moon is active from 9 PM through midnight. Just make camp and sleep until night. Run to the top of the shrine. If it doesn't activate, sleep again until the next night. Repeat until it finally unlocks.

It doesn't play the animation till midnight?

If I warp it goes for untold days depending on how far away I was. Last time I got the animation I warped immediately at 12:05am.

Got to the warp at 11:00pm. Huh?

It doesn't play the animation till midnight?

If I warp it goes for untold days depending on how far away I was. Last time I got the animation I warped immediately at 12:05am.

Got to the warp at 11:00pm. Huh?

Yeah, the animation happens at midnight (though I've had it happen at all hours of the day before). Cooking is more effective from 11-midnight. And the shrine will open from 9 pm-midnight. But if you sleep until night, it's automatically 9 pm. I wasted a ton of fire arrows for the campfire, but that way it only took me around 5 minutes to spawn the shrine with no fuss.

Yeah, the animation happens at midnight (though I've had it happen at all hours of the day before). Cooking is more effective from 11-midnight. And the shrine will open from 9 pm-midnight. But if you sleep until night, it's automatically 9 pm. I wasted a ton of fire arrows for the campfire, but that way it only took me around 5 minutes to spawn the shrine with no fuss.

So the moon will literally rise red right?

Curious, does anyone play this on a 4k tv? since docked it only renders at 900p, I wonder how it looks upscaled on a 4k set

Curious, does anyone play this on a 4k tv? since docked it only renders at 900p, I wonder how it looks upscaled on a 4k set
I play on a 4K monitor and its not different looking to me than my 1080p TV. By that I mean its still blurry.

So the moon will literally rise red right?
The moon actually appears on the horizon at 9:00 PM and yes it will be glowing bright red with red tentacles coming out.

98mS4MS.jpg

I play on a 4K monitor and its not different looking to me than my 1080p TV. By that I mean its still blurry.
ah, so you'd say it isn't blurrier? going from 900p to 1080 isn't as huge of a leap as going from 900p to 4k. I was really curious how it would handle upscaling to 4k, b/c eventually those will overtake the majority of TVs (which are still) running at 1080p

Looks great, probably better than 1080p, a bit less aliasing at least on a vizio M series scaler.

Yeah I mean it looks the same. Depends how close you site and how nice of a 4K set you have really. To me it looks just as good but the colors pop better on my monitor than my TV

I do and I generally think it looks lackluster. There are certainly worse looking games out there, but upscaling twice on a game with weird cell-shading and lots of fog effects isn't the ticket to impressive visuals.
That said, if you look at the 4K footage from people playing on CEMU, it's not that different. I think the look of the game is to blame.

Ganon is down! Great game but I'd put it well behind Ocarina.

1. Ocarina
2. A Link Between Worlds
3 A Link to the Past
4. Twilight Princess
5. Breath of the Wild
6. Windwaker
7. The Legend of Zelda

I've genuinely enjoyed every Zelda game I've owned, even the Adventures of Link. Ok I lie, Majora's Mask is low on my list of games and the 3days repetitiveness really wrecks it for me.

BOTW is a very good Zelda game. My only gripes are some minor ones like the voice acting and the glass weapons, but overall its been a good experience. I'm pushing 90 shrines now and have finally triggered the divine beast quests. I fear that I'm overpowered now, I actually hunt down guardians for parts and have been actively looking for music changes to denote special enemies. I don't think I'll finish the Korok seeds portion as +24 slots seems to be overkill. I'm cycling through 2-3 weapons max 1 bow every 10+ encounters now that require a bow. Getting "refill" weapons is pretty much, hey look a mob, loot time.

I've owned all of the Zeldas and this is the first of the 3D ones I've really, really liked. I know Ocarina and Majora's Mask are universally loved. I liked them, but not quite like the older games. I liked Phantom Hourglass more than Wind Waker, but both were pretty good.

For me, I like the first 3 (I liked 2, even if it was a clone of the NES Rambo) followed by Breath and Phantom Hourglass.

If you're a big fan of the 3D Zelda games, give the two Darksiders games a shot. They're like Zelda crossed with Ninja Gaiden.

I'm really enjoying this one. I pretty much played through the weekend. I've spent a lot of time just exploring. I've made a point of pushing into some areas that I probably shouldn't be in, getting some nice weapons, and heading back to the things I "should" be doing. Works pretty well, weapons break less, etc. I don't know what it is, but the game even with its graphical limitations on the Wii U, is very beautiful, and just pulls me right in. Yeah, the frame rates dip in busy places, I can see the chunks in the terrain shading, the grass is a little chunky, etc. etc. but as a whole, it's a very good looking game. I haven't found anything terribly difficult yet other than a couple of large boss-like characters that I had to run away from. (after 17 hours, I haven't cooked a single thing, I only have 5 hearts and 1 stamina upgrade, but I have a ton of nice weapons, upgraded all of my clothes/armor, completed a bunch of side quests, etc.) I'm really enjoying this game. Between this and Nier, I pretty much evaporated the weekend, which is something I haven't done in a while. :D

Since we seem to be listing Zelda favorites :D

Wind Waker
Twilight Princess (yes, I really like this one...)
Ocarina of Time
Breath of the Wild (this is kind of tentative, but if I keep enjoying it as much as I am this'll do...)
Link Between Worlds
Skyward Sword
Phantom Hourglass
Link to the Past
Majora's Mask
Link's Awakening
The rest... Didn't really get into Spirit Tracks, but I still have it, and will get to it eventually. I don't really play the spinoff things like Four Swords, etc.

If you're a big fan of the 3D Zelda games, give the two Darksiders games a shot. They're like Zelda crossed with Ninja Gaiden.

Interesting! I've wondered about those games a lot, and have nearly bought them a few times, then didn't. Now I may have to grab them.

Interesting! I've wondered about those games a lot, and have nearly bought them a few times, then didn't. Now I may have to grab them.

I think they're fantastic. No clue why they went under the radar. Timing and advertising I suppose. In theory you might also mistake them for a God of War knock-off, too.
They have the puzzles of Zelda and gameplay that is somewhere between Ninja Gaiden and God of War. The graphics look a little like the art style in Destiny.
In terms of size and scope, you're looking at something on par with Twilight Princess.

I think they're fantastic. No clue why they went under the radar. Timing and advertising I suppose. In theory you might also mistake them for a God of War knock-off, too.
They have the puzzles of Zelda and gameplay that is somewhere between Ninja Gaiden and God of War. The graphics look a little like the art style in Destiny.
In terms of size and scope, you're looking at something on par with Twilight Princess.

Nice! I'll grab them next time I see the bundle. I think GOG has it right now actually.

Nice! That's excellent news. They did say they would, but I didn't know when it would actually hit.

Very cool. Even though I've done a ton of exploring, I've only dealt with 1 divine beast. Looking forward to some smoother framerates for the rest of my journey. The lost woods is especially rough. I ended up bailing that area because it was so choppy.

Yeap, everyone who said that the Switch wasn't capable of playing the game smoothly will now have to eat their words. Clearly it was an optimization issue.

Well I think there are some issues in some areas like the lost woods that have been improved but not totally resolved, and I think for the most part the analysis regarding the Switch's power is correct, but I would be happy to eat my words.

Also, launching the game in that state was a pretty big fuck up. I mean, I am done with the game...

I heard Korok forrest is back at 30fps but not sure about lost woods.

I am probably going to start an new game. Knowing what I know now about the mechanics of the game and how to cook and survive, I would like to experience the early game again.

106 shrines, 2 divine beasts done. Going for the final 14 shrines will be rough as I'm not doing a guide. I'm running out of "have I checked here" ideas, but the Kass quests seem to be on my radar now. Having x proof armors really helping on the exploring front, and stamina maxed has lessened the need for cooking stuff for it.

Lynel's are freaking strong. Even with level 3 gear, shock arrows will bring me within a heart of death. I'm working on the guard part, but 1 mistake really hurts.

Last edited:
One of Kass' spots has a journal that lists all of his locations, there aren't that many. There may be a few shrine quests you are missing, as well. Some are also just cruelly hidden, IMO. It took me a fucking long time to find 120 shrines.

Yeah Lynel looks like a fun boss to fight like the video of the Dark Eponea or whatever just nudging it till it's out of life.
Don't own a Switch though

Lynel's have been a pain in the ass since the original Legend of Zelda. They always do massive damage. This is by far their most epic incarnation.

I haven't even bothered to seriously try and kill a Lionel. I messed around a little and it felt like I could cheeze one with arrows by going back and forth behind an obstacle, but it would take forever and use all of my stocks. What kind of reward is there?

Back