Zelda: Breath of the Wild

They could have allowed permanent weapons but then thrown in bonus stats like Diablo / Borderlands. I would have preferred that. Because then instead of replacing a broken weapon, you replace it with another weapon that has more desirable stats.

As it stands now, I actively avoid combat with trash mobs because it's not worth breaking weapons for some Goblin Guts which I already have hundreds of.

Yeah, not the biggest fan of the breakable weapons, but this video does a good job explaining why it has to be, or the game will break. Still not quite sure on the whole thing, but it seems to make sense.

Warning - apparently some "visual spoilers" in this video. 'meh.

I'm sure it was a matter of balancing things out for the change in game style. This is really this team's first open world type of game unless I'm mistaken. Perhaps they could have taken another route, (I like the Borderlands style idea above for example). I'm willing to cut them some slack though. Now I think I'm going to bow out of this thread now, until I actually get my hands on the game. :D

I'm one slot away from the fully upgraded weapon capacity and every single slot is filled with a gold-quality "Durability Up" weapon. At this point I actually find nice weapons faster than I can break my current ones. I think the farther you get into the game, the better weapons you find. I don't recall seeing any secondary stats AT ALL until I was around 30 hours into the game. Now every chest seems to contain a boosted item.

Also you can sneak onto a Hynox and steal the weapons off their necklace without killing them. Easy way to get free stuff w/o breaking your existing gear.

The game has an internal counter of how many monsters you kill, which changes the enemies you face as well as the drops you get. I suppose if you really wanted too, you could get the great quality gear super early in the game if you were to go gung-ho on all the monsters and rest until you had blood moons. Now, I guess I wonder how blood moons get calculated. On more than one occasion, I've had several blood moons in the span of just a day.

I tried cheesing a blood moon by sleeping at a fire over and over, it didn't work. I've also had a blood moon, then loaded a save immediately prior, and didn't get the blood moon again.
So it's dynamically calculated, it's designed to "reset" the game world. So it might be based on how many chests/items you've looted and monsters you've killed since the previous blood moon.

I fully understand why things are breakable (and agree with the video, more or less) but I think that it creates a certain level of tediousness as part of its own balance. I also find myself avoiding foes just because there's no "reward" (something the video harps on) to doing so. I mean you get something for doing it, but it's less worthwhile than avoiding them if you're already fully stocked...which I typically am.
I see it as rewarding some forms of exploration and penalizing others.

Most groups of enemies can be killed with a single arrow. I really don't have any problem getting new weapons.

Most groups of enemies can be killed with a single arrow. I really don't have any problem getting new weapons.
That is true, however, I can easily see people who want to play the game their own way, not the closed path method the "open world" pushes.

For example, it is possible to sneak most Hynixes (the platform activation ball from their necklace) while they are sleeping, but that is boring to me.

That is true, however, I can easily see people who want to play the game their own way, not the closed path method the "open world" pushes.

For example, it is possible to sneak most Hynixes (the platform activation ball from their necklace) while they are sleeping, but that is boring to me.

That's the best part of the game - You can tackle a lot of situations whatever way you want. You can sneak, you can go full retard, or you can use the environment and play it smart. This is very similar to Bethesda games in a lot of ways - But IMO it does it better because the control of your character is far more fluid, and if you do choose to do combat the actual combat is far more fluid and has real dodge/parry mechanics.

That's the best part of the game - You can tackle a lot of situations whatever way you want. You can sneak, you can go full retard, or you can use the environment and play it smart. This is very similar to Bethesda games in a lot of ways - But IMO it does it better because the control of your character is far more fluid, and if you do choose to do combat the actual combat is far more fluid and has real dodge/parry mechanics.
I get your perspective, but certain mechanics (especially weapon lifespans) are a hindrance to player agency.

*Technically* they aren't forcing you to play the game in one way. But there is a bit of heavyhanded "guidance" towards preferred directions.

To some, that is fun, to others, it is not. Same coin, though. Not even different sides.

Wife discovered horses can die yesterday. She was a bit despondent as she was all happy to have a 4 star horse and had a name picked and all. 10 mins earlier she had just found the fairy of lost horses and refused to pay 1k rupees.

After laughing for 5 mins I said, reload your save.

On a different note, I visited the same spot and exploited the CPU's unwillingness to venture out of its designated zone instead of her approach of big horse battle orgy. I knocked each one off their horse 1 at a time, beat them with their own dropped weapons. Everytime a weapon would be about to break, I threw it to knock the next guy off the horse. So much fun...

Just beat vah Ruta last night. I liked the dungeon and the boss fight. Challenging but not insanely complicated or difficult. Made me use the ol' noggin a couple times.

I despise the controls though. I've kind of fallen out of console gaming so a controller is a little more foreign to me than a keyboard and mouse, but the whole scene leading up to the dungeon was way more difficult than it had to be. The issue is that you have to take your thumb of the aiming stick to push the "fire" button, so you're constantly having to forecast and project where the object is going to be before you pick your firing location, take your thumb off the aiming controls and push the button to pull the trigger. It was just super frustrating when the objects you're trying to hit are moving and changing trajectories that are hard to predict, and when they move on you before you have a chance to pull the trigger, miss with cryonis only to have it grow a pillar in the water and start a cool down period when you have to just take the projectiles to the face. I almost threw my controller at one point. It was a cool scene, but the controls really really got in the way.

Last edited:
Do you have the pro controller? Or just using their basic included controller? (The Pro Controller is the only way I'd play this game to be honest.)

Just beat vah Ruta last night. I liked the dungeon and the boss fight. Challenging but not insanely complicated or difficult. Made me use the ol' noggin a couple times.

I despise the controls though. I've kind of fallen out of console gaming so a controller is a little more foreign to me than a keyboard and mouse, but the whole scene leading up to the dungeon was way more difficult than it had to be. The issue is that you have to take your thumb of the aiming stick to push the "fire" button, so you're constantly having to forecast and project where the object is going to be before you pick your firing location, take your thumb off the aiming controls and push the button to pull the trigger. It was just super frustrating when the objects you're trying to hit are moving and changing trajectories that are hard to predict, and when they move on you before you have a chance to pull the trigger, miss with cryonis only to have it grow a pillar in the water and start a cool down period when you have to just take the projectiles to the face. I almost threw my controller at one point. It was a cool scene, but the controls really really got in the way.
I beat the bird in about 15 minutes, Camel took me an hour. I'll probably burn out the Fish and Lizard today, kill Ganon tomorrow.
Currently at 95hrs.

Anyone else find it strange that the loading times are so similar on the WiiU vs the Switch?

The loading times on Switch should be at least 3x as fast.
The blu-ray disc reader on the Wii-U is slow as hell.

If i had to guess Nintendo purposely neutered the speed.
My only evidence towards this, is how much effort they put into
making this game not be very visually different in either version.

I think they might be trying to save face in some respects for the WiiU?
I don't get why, it's 99% a lost cause at this point, besides Zelda.

Maybe this was a practice session to create uniformity across other consoles
for 3rd party ports... i dunno.

Anyone else find it strange that the loading times are so similar on the WiiU vs the Switch?

The loading times on Switch should be at least 3x as fast.
The blu-ray disc reader on the Wii-U is slow as hell.

If i had to guess Nintendo purposely neutered the speed.
My only evidence towards this, is how much effort they put into
making this game not be very visually different in either version.

I think they might be trying to save face in some respects for the WiiU?
I don't get why, it's 99% a lost cause at this point, besides Zelda.

Maybe this was a practice session to create uniformity across other consoles
for 3rd party ports... i dunno.

WiiU has a 3GB install for key assets, Switch does not. The game was specifically designed from the ground up for the WiiU's architecture. I'm not surprised it doesn't run that much better on the Switch.

Either way I personally don't give a shit. It's an outstanding game on the Switch and I really don't have any complaints. I'm not sure why one would be complaining about load times. The load times are fairly benign compared to games on the PS4/Xbone.

The load times aren't bad at all.
I'm just saying they don't make sense.

Even the on-board memory for the Wii-U is quite terrible. It was at best 45% faster for sequential, and definitely
better for random, but 300% better random reading than a disc, is well, still crap.

I have no sources for it right now, that was so long ago, it topped out at some 40-45mb/s "sequential".
It's random was awful.

The Switch carts are insanely fast. Just doesn't make sense.

The load times aren't bad at all.
I'm just saying they don't make sense.

Even the on-board memory for the Wii-U is quite terrible. It was at best 45% faster for sequential, and definitely
better for random, but 300% better random reading than a disc, is well, still crap.

I have no sources for it right now, that was so long ago, it topped out at some 40-45mb/s "sequential".
It's random was awful.

The Switch carts are insanely fast. Just doesn't make sense.

Given the poor performance of the Switch version and how much it should be theoretically faster compared to the WiiU hardware it makes complete sense. The port over was likely rushed, and they had to make a game engine for a completely different architecture from the ground up in a fairly short period of time. Given the work they put into the original WiiU version there is likely quite a bit of code that was heavily optimized for that architecture that they had to shoehorn into the switch version. Some of which could have potentially been down to the machine code level. Nintendo developers themselves have been working with the original GCN/Wii/WiiU architecture for years now. This is why i'm hopeful the performance of Zelda may improve in the future given system updates and game code updates. The interesting part about Zelda is that the scenes that slow the Switch version down the most are ones with heavy foliage, where as on the WiiU version it handles foliage dense scenes just fine. The interesting part to this is that the GCN/WiiU hardware has some specific hardware features used all the way back originally in WindWaker that allow it to render grass/foliage with little to no performance impact. The engine itself i'd be willing to guess is a heavily improved version all the way back from the Windwaker days.

TLDR - The WiiU version had a decade+ of architecture specific coding and optimization behind it, the Switch version had like a year.

After a week of not really getting into the game, it finally grabbed me a bit more this weekend. I think the sheer open-ness of the game made things more daunting than they needed to be. Following the plot early seems wiser than I initially assumed.
I also finally found some weapons that don't seem to break every 5 minutes and even appear to regen. I'm now in the mode of just running around climbing towers and clearing temples.

After a week of not really getting into the game, it finally grabbed me a bit more this weekend. I think the sheer open-ness of the game made things more daunting than they needed to be. Following the plot early seems wiser than I initially assumed.
I also finally found some weapons that don't seem to break every 5 minutes and even appear to regen. I'm now in the mode of just running around climbing towers and clearing temples.

The more temples you clear the better gear you start to find. I assume it's based on temples, could be based on something else i suppose.

I believe it's tied to the monsters, which is tied to your kill count. I've avoided as many monsters as I possibly could, and am about 90 shrines in, and still getting weapons in the 10-20 range. Guardian Swords are still the best weapons that I have.

90 Shrines...damn. I'm only like 20 in and I have 3 Guardian Swords I haven't touched yet. I don't really kill many monsters if I don't have to, but I do habitually toss bombs at various birds and woodland creatures constantly :p. I have tons and tons of meat and drumsticks. The fact that you have unlimited bombs in this game is a lots of fun. I win a lot of random battles only using them. They're weak, but they cause all sorts of collateral damage.

You only need about 280 seeds to max out your weapons and bow tabs.
All 3 tabs is 441, iirc.

I just went broke (2k rupees) and wanted to buy some Ancient gear. Sold all my excess gems and monster parts, ended up with 81k. LOL had no idea all that stuff was worth so much.

Found a guide to farm a dragon horn every 1 minute or so, they're good for making 30minute buff food.
Another for maxing out Arrows.

Don't click the links if you don't want cheaty spoilers btw.

Last edited:
Im on the Wii u version, downloaded to internal storage. I've been pretty impressed with load times, haven't bothered me at all.

Just selling those horns and whatnot from random enemies can give you boatloads of money. I sold off like 1/2 what I had (just from wandering) and ended up with something like 800 rupees. I didn't sell anything unusual, just horns and jelly and whatnot.
With seeds, I'm just grabbing them as I go, but am not actively hunting for anything. I've found like 25 of them and I can't remember where the maraca dude ran off to after he left one of the stables.
I'm just about to claim my 8th heard container so I suppose it's probably time to start proceeding with the plot again. I brought my Switch with me to work, so that'll give me an additional 30-45 minutes to explore a bit more.

Each Talus and Lynel kill is worth about 1,500-2,000 Rupees in drops, so there's plenty of money to be made every blood moon. Dragon horns are worth 300 Rupees each and those are pretty easy to farm.
If all else fails, Snow Bowling is still the fastest option but it's also mind-numbingly boring.

I "accidentally" made another 20k farming Lynel bows last night, peaking at 108k Rupees. Once you hit the end game, all of those bosses just become loot pinatas.

I gave in, and picked up the Wii U version for now. I figured I'd eventually pick up both anyway, so why not. Just got out of the plateau area, and so far I really like it. I'm not fond of the weapon breakage. Well, let me specify that I think some of that is ok, just not to the extent that they are doing it. They should have been a bit more discerning of what the actual weapon is. If it's a metal sword, it should take a LOT longer to break than a wooden club with some nails in it. (and to a degree it does, but not nearly enough) I also don't like how fast you die in the cold. Sure, the mechanic is ok overall, but taking 30 steps into the snow shouldn't kill you. I loaded up on hot peppers :D and that got me through, but still... Otherwise, the game is great even at this early stage in my playing. The graphics are stunning for the most part. It does drop below 60 in some areas which is a little annoying, but not enough to make me hate it, and I'm actually impressed by how well it does perform on the Wii U hardware. It's pretty impressive considering. I have it loaded onto a USB stick, and while the load times are noticeable by today's standards, they're not bad to the point of being annoying to me. Anyway, so far so good. Juggling play time between this and Nier: Automata right now.

I gave in, and picked up the Wii U version for now. I figured I'd eventually pick up both anyway, so why not. Just got out of the plateau area, and so far I really like it. I'm not fond of the weapon breakage. Well, let me specify that I think some of that is ok, just not to the extent that they are doing it. They should have been a bit more discerning of what the actual weapon is. If it's a metal sword, it should take a LOT longer to break than a wooden club with some nails in it. (and to a degree it does, but not nearly enough) I also don't like how fast you die in the cold. Sure, the mechanic is ok overall, but taking 30 steps into the snow shouldn't kill you. I loaded up on hot peppers :D and that got me through, but still... Otherwise, the game is great even at this early stage in my playing. The graphics are stunning for the most part. It does drop below 60 in some areas which is a little annoying, but not enough to make me hate it, and I'm actually impressed by how well it does perform on the Wii U hardware. It's pretty impressive considering. I have it loaded onto a USB stick, and while the load times are noticeable by today's standards, they're not bad to the point of being annoying to me. Anyway, so far so good. Juggling play time between this and Nier: Automata right now.
Wut. Game does not run anywhere near 60fps. It's locked at 30 and that is not very stable.

Wut. Game does not run anywhere near 60fps. It's locked at 30 and that is not very stable.

Ah, well, then my TV got set on some smoothing mode again. :D I didn't notice. hehehe I'll have to double check that when I get home. Happens every once in a while, (kids) and I get the same sort of forum responses when it does. "what the hell are you talking about?!!?" If it's a fast action game I'll notice due to latency, but if it's something like this, then I just don't notice it. That being the case, I'll probably just leave it on, because hell, why not. However, I do need to find out. I haven't been reading up on this game at all as I wanted it to be fresh when I played it, so I'm sure this has already been discussed. Also I was planning to pick it up on the Switch and only got the Wii U version on impulse. So went in double-blind. I guess you can take my performance comments with a pinch of salt then. However, the experience I've had so far is silky-smooth (with some occasional drops) and very responsive considering a smooth algorithm is clearly on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might have to actually give smooth motion a shot in this game. I keep forgetting I even have it with so many console games having frame-pacing issues that break it.

I might have to actually give smooth motion a shot in this game. I keep forgetting I even have it with so many console games having frame-pacing issues that break it.

Well, it fooled me with this game. However, there have been some others where I couldn't figure out why the game was so floaty, then eventually realized it was this causing it. With BotW though, it feels spot on, and I really thought it was running at 60 with occasional dips.

Running my tv with some soap opera mode and it 'looks' like 60fps minus the crazy dips. I choose to leave it on for this game.

Definitely. Like I said, with this game I didn't even notice, and with no background information to go on, I was just plain impressed by the "performance". :D I'll hereby refer to this mode as SoapLink!

Got in a few minutes on my lunch break.
I know diehards will probably swear that Nintendo is teaching us something or making us stop to smell the roses, but there sure are a lot of tedious things in this game. From having to wait around in the rain, to Link's slow-ass climbing, to his slow swimming, to various puzzles that involve a whole lot of waiting around for them to cycle.

The rain really pisses me off. It's almost a daily occurrence. Along with the breakable weapons... still having a great time though.

Got in a few minutes on my lunch break.
I know diehards will probably swear that Nintendo is teaching us something or making us stop to smell the roses, but there sure are a lot of tedious things in this game. From having to wait around in the rain, to Link's slow-ass climbing, to his slow swimming, to various puzzles that involve a whole lot of waiting around for them to cycle.

I'd consider myself a diehard, and while I'm not terribly far into the game yet, I've started to notice things like this. I'm kind of a collector anyway when I play these games, so I don't see it as a huge problem, but I can see some of it being a bit tedious. Slow climbing I can live with, but the swimming I've already checked in the negative box.

I still think it's a great game, but it feels like my time spent waiting for something to happen is like 2x any other game.

Back