Zelda: Breath of the Wild

The reward for collecting all 900 seeds is...

An actual piece of POOP.

RQZ0e1T.jpg

I've been pretty busy lately, but managed to get about 10-15 hours in to the game on my Wii U. Overall, I'm really, really enjoying this game. I haven't found a game that gives me an escape like this in a long time. I think it's because it's so huge I really feel immersed in it, but it still allows you to travel between places quickly when you want, explore when you want, and you can pick it up for an hour here and there without needing half a day to feel like you've made any progress. Basically, you can do anything you want for as long as you want at any time.

I personally find the story engaging and interesting, and the way it ties in with the world brings a sense of scale to the plot as well. Something big went down, and you can see it everywhere you go. Pretty cool.

I admit I bought the strategy guide with the game. My thought process was, with a world this large, and with such limited time to play, I didn't want to explore endlessly only to find nothing, wasting time only to eventually quit before finishing the game - I thought I would have needed some guidance. This is pretty far from the truth though. Even if you just go blindly exploring (hey, I wonder what's on top of that mountain over there) - there's usually something there, so it's rewarding no matter what you do. The game does a great job organizing your goals and making sure you always know what the next step in the story / side quest / exploration is, and I haven't really ever felt there was something in my way that I couldn't figure out, or know what to do next. As a matter of fact, the strategy guide is actually making me spend MORE time in the game because I know what side quests are available in every area I go to, so I've found myself finding a new area, exhausting the list of things to do there, then moving on to the next one. Without the guide I probably would have been much further along in the story by now. I wasn't expecting that.

I'm not overly sensitive to frame rate issues. Most of the time my PC is underpowered for any current games anyway, so I'm used to the 20-30 fps realm (though I really do prefer a solid 60fps). It's just the way games have become to me. Breath of the Wild runs pretty good on the Wii U most of the time. Up until Kakariko village (basically anywhere "in the wild"), there were some occasional slow downs that would fix themselves pretty quickly, didn't bother me one bit. Inside Kakariko village though... I really hate to say it, but the frame rate is just terrible. It seems pretty consistently between 15-20fps and it really detracts from the gameplay. I'm not mad at nintendo (how could I be, they made this amazing game), just disappointed that such an otherwise engrossing, immersive game breaks the fourth wall like that. Like I said, I'm used to it, and I can allow it, but it did take me to the point where it was slightly bothersome. I noticed it a bit in Hateno village as well, and I'm sure there will be many other areas where it's like this too. BUT, that said, it's certainly not enough for me to stop playing - the postivies far outweigh this one issue. In my opinion, everyone with 120"+ screens expecting 4k at 60Hz needs to wake up - you are the exception and your expectations are far too high. I don't notice any jaggies on my 47" screen except for maybe shadows, but in all honesty I never notice this - resolution is fine. I do think they should take a hit for not meeting 20-30fps consistently though, it is a bummer. But there is far too much discussion about this already...

I'm a bit disappointed in the weapon durability. I'm hesitant to use my good weapons like someone else mentioned because they break after only a few common monsters, and can't even make it through a single sub-boss fight. I think if everything had maybe 2x the durability they do now it would have been a bit more fun to uncover better weapons, but right now it's kind of like - eh - it's just going to break in a few hits anyway.

I haven't cooked anything serious yet. I keep about a hundred apples on me at all times, and for the few times I've needed them, you can cram in as many as you want while the game is paused, so I haven't really seen a point. I did make something once to give cold protection, but I'd rather search for clothing that protects me and is permanent - I don't like time release buffs. I intend at some point to use the strategy guide to make the best dishes to keep a boat-load of cooked things to restore my health more quickly, but it's tedious just mixing things willy-nilly to have a chance of making something good, especially when I have enough raw materials to keep me up in health anyway. It's a cool feature, but I just don't want to spend the time figuring it out and memorizing recipes, etc. Maybe later I'll find a use for more specific buffs than just health recovery and make more use of it.

I really like the variability in weapons and clothing. I really like the clothing a lot. I've changed different pieces of my outfit several times already, and I like that you can change them in and out for different status effects. Super cool, and it makes me feel like I'm progressing even more. Oh, and the clothes don't break like weapons...

Lastly, the game is just downright beautiful. I enjoy landscape photography, and while obviously fictitious, this game has some incredible landscapes to watch a sunrise over and see the changing weather conditions through. Just awesome.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know how you could complete that without a team of people data mining.

Idanno, they're all already mapped in the strategy guide so the info is out there. Actually physically going to collect them all though - now that's a big task.

Last edited:
Idanno, they're all already mapped in the strategy guide so the info is out there. Actually physically going to collect them all though - now that's a big task.
Biggest task will be when you are at 899 collected and you don't know which fucking one you are missing. Unless the game marks all the ones you found. Idk don't have the game.

Biggest task will be when you are at 899 collected and you don't know which fucking one you are missing. Unless the game marks all the ones you found. Idk don't have the game.
According to an article, it took him 2 hours to find the last seed.

Yeah, the game marks all the ones you find, but you have to zoom in fully. This can make it a pain trying to locate that last one. Fortunately you only need half of the 900 seeds to get all the inventory increases.

450 seeds is still a ton...yet I'm just the type of person who will probably end up doing it.

Here's a random question - is there a legit long-term advantage to upgrading heart containers or stamina vs. the other? I mean, it seems like just a preference thing. Is there something more to it over the long haul? Any reason to go all-in with 1 vs. the other or is it wiser to mix it up?

You need a specific amount of hearts to do something later in the game, it gets explained to you at the time.
There's a shrine in Hateno Village that lets you swap Heart/Stamina containers, though.

I got like 10 hearts then went full Stamina. Food is super easy to come by. Get hit -> Eat food.
In the end you will max out both Hearts and Stamina after completing all the shrines/dungeons.

This game is officially dead to me. The weapons breaking after limited hits is fucking stupid. The rain is possibly the worst thing I have ever seen in a game. Super fucking stupid. Let's have a rain storm last 4 in game days...4 fucking in game days I stared at my tv 5 foot from the top of a cliff with a sliver of stamina. Ohh hey cliff it's ok I'll be back later after I find four more stupid shrines and upgrade my stamina.

The vah Ruto boss fight finally did it in for me. Ohh look at your sword go right thru the stupid flying blocks that insta kill you with 7 hearts. Ohh look at your sword freeZe in the middle of the swing while the block hits you and kills you. I'm not spending another 6 hours roaming around randomly looking for armor.

I'm not going all over creation looking for dozens of stupid shrines just to get 1 heart or stamina piece for every four you find.

This is not Zelda to me. This is just randomly roam around and find a non challenging shrine that takes 2 minutes to beat....but but look how big the map is!!! Enjoy that 4 fps in every town.

In the process of typing out my rage I broke 4 swords and 3 bows even with the Wii U turned off. Well time to start the build up again of finding more weapons to break instantly after using them...ohh just kidding I sold the game on craigslist already.

This game is officially dead to me. The weapons breaking after limited hits is fucking stupid. The rain is possibly the worst thing I have ever seen in a game. Super fucking stupid. Let's have a rain storm last 4 in game days...4 fucking in game days I stared at my tv 5 foot from the top of a cliff with a sliver of stamina. Ohh hey cliff it's ok I'll be back later after I find four more stupid shrines and upgrade my stamina.

The vah Ruto boss fight finally did it in for me. Ohh look at your sword go right thru the stupid flying blocks that insta kill you with 7 hearts. Ohh look at your sword freeZe in the middle of the swing while the block hits you and kills you. I'm not spending another 6 hours roaming around randomly looking for armor.

I'm not going all over creation looking for dozens of stupid shrines just to get 1 heart or stamina piece for every four you find.

This is not Zelda to me. This is just randomly roam around and find a non challenging shrine that takes 2 minutes to beat....but but look how big the map is!!! Enjoy that 4 fps in every town.

In the process of typing out my rage I broke 4 swords and 3 bows even with the Wii U turned off. Well time to start the build up again of finding more weapons to break instantly after using them...ohh just kidding I sold the game on craigslist already.

So, what you're saying is... You don't like Zelda games. (short of the weapon breakage which is new to them)

So, what you're saying is... You don't like Zelda games. (short of the weapon breakage which is new to them)

I've guess i could just hunt and kill 400 goats and pigs, find 400 mushrooms, and cook them and live forever

I have loved every Zelda up to twilight princess...haven't played skyward sword.

The movement and targeting feel like utter shit to me. This is on Wii U though so maybe the switch is better.

It's like every area I find is way above my level. I really don't enjoy have to grind out stupid shrines to up my hearts and stamina.

Ohh well. Not my cup of tea.

Didn't skyward sword have breakable weapons and shields?

I never had the sword or main tools break. Shields have been burnable/breakable (at least the wooden ones) since Ocarina IIRC. You could upgrade your tools by collecting the little bits of things along the way in Skyward Sword.

I've guess i could just hunt and kill 400 goats and pigs, find 400 mushrooms, and cook them and live forever

I have loved every Zelda up to twilight princess...haven't played skyward sword.

The movement and targeting feel like utter shit to me. This is on Wii U though so maybe the switch is better.

It's like every area I find is way above my level. I really don't enjoy have to grind out stupid shrines to up my hearts and stamina.

Ohh well. Not my cup of tea.

Sorry, wasn't meant as a total jab. Just a little one :D I don't think I'll like the breakage mechanic at all either honestly. The rest of it though is pretty much what I view as a Zelda game, and even an open world evolution of one. (the areas you need to level for, etc.) Sounds like they're not just handing you your directions on a plate, which is kinda cool IMO. I also don't mind collecting things in games like this, so that doesn't bother me. I can definitely see it not being for everyone, but yeah, other than the weapon thing, I think I'll probably like it a lot. I'm going to play Nier Automata first though, so I won't know if I'm right for a couple of weeks most likely.

Can anyone tell me how to parry guardian laser blasts?

They say to hit the button when the electricity first starts forming, but that's a bunch of shit. Either people have awful reaction times or their TV's are lagged to hell. I do this and it's early 95% of the time. Do i need to try and get more distance away or something. I don't get it.

It's a death beam. No idea. Just get ancient armor and then you don't have to worry about it.

I haven't upgraded my stamina at all and I'm on the 3rd divine beast... So obviously the rain hasn't been a problem either.

You're supposed to use Cryonis to shatter the ice blocks in Vah Ruto. Why were you swording them? You can literally blow them up before they start moving toward you.

Not sure what you're doing. But you're entitled to dislike it.

As MavericK stated, this is not really Zelda. It would have been better as a spinoff than part of the main series.

Zelda has never been about an open world. It's an action/adventure where you solve puzzles to grant access to equipment which opens up new sections of the game. Now, it's not totally linear like a Final Fantasy, where you can only go from A->B. Rather, you have access to a series of dungeons which can be defeated in any order, but each opens up a new section of the map. More like a middle ground between open world and linear, like a semi-open world. Here, you have to defeat all 4 shrines at the very beginning, without a choice of which shrine, and then you get access to the whole world.

This game just has way too much grinding. The seeds, the dungeons, the massive collecting you'll be doing (such as collecting wood for Tarrey Town), etc. Sure, there would be items that cost a lot of money in old Zelda games, but through a normal play through, you'd acquire rupees throughout all the bushes and grass you destroyed. In BotW, you'll be playing Snowball Bowling until you're sick of it. And don't forget to take snapshots of everything. The camera is just another pointless time sink.

This game really doesn't deserve the scores it's been getting. The metacritic user score of 7.6 is far more accurate than the critic reviews. But I guess that's a major flaws of critic reviews. They just play 5 minutes of open world games to form their decision which doesn't allow them enough time to really see the flaws. Imagine this wasn't called Zelda. Let's say it was Ubisoft's latest Assassin's Creed (which is pretty much how I see this game at the moment). How do you think people would be treating it? In no way would anyone even remotely think "Gee, this sure has a Zelda feel to it!"

As MavericK stated, this is not really Zelda. It would have been better as a spinoff than part of the main series.

Zelda has never been about an open world. It's an action/adventure where you solve puzzles to grant access to equipment which opens up new sections of the game. Now, it's not totally linear like a Final Fantasy, where you can only go from A->B. Rather, you have access to a series of dungeons which can be defeated in any order, but each opens up a new section of the map. More like a middle ground between open world and linear, like a semi-open world. Here, you have to defeat all 4 shrines at the very beginning, without a choice of which shrine, and then you get access to the whole world.

This game just has way too much grinding. The seeds, the dungeons, the massive collecting you'll be doing (such as collecting wood for Tarrey Town), etc. Sure, there would be items that cost a lot of money in old Zelda games, but through a normal play through, you'd acquire rupees throughout all the bushes and grass you destroyed. In BotW, you'll be playing Snowball Bowling until you're sick of it. And don't forget to take snapshots of everything. The camera is just another pointless time sink.

This game really doesn't deserve the scores it's been getting. The metacritic user score of 7.6 is far more accurate than the critic reviews. But I guess that's a major flaws of critic reviews. They just play 5 minutes of open world games to form their decision which doesn't allow them enough time to really see the flaws. Imagine this wasn't called Zelda. Let's say it was Ubisoft's latest Assassin's Creed (which is pretty much how I see this game at the moment). How do you think people would be treating it? In no way would anyone even remotely think "Gee, this sure has a Zelda feel to it!"

Really have to disagree with you there. Windwaker was very similar to this, just not as extensively as large - But still quite a large open world game for when it came out.

The game deserves the high praise. The game 'feels like a Zelda game' because of the level of polish. That's the key. This isn't Ass Creed 57 or Skyrim because those games always release buggy as shit, and never have a good all in one package. There is always some subpar aspect to the game.

This game is, IMO, the first truly open world game that really nails a good combat system / movement around the world. Every other open world game fails in this regard. Even AssCreed pales in comparison with how your character 'locks up' to certain things as you are running around. If you don't like the open world design - Fine, got it. I don't like fighting games, but it's why I would never buy a fighting game and then downrate it. At the very least everyone should be able to appreciate just how well your character is able to move around the world in this game and how good it feels.

I haven't upgraded my stamina at all and I'm on the 3rd divine beast... So obviously the rain hasn't been a problem either.

You're supposed to use Cryonis to shatter the ice blocks in Vah Ruto. Why were you swording them? You can literally blow them up before they start moving toward you.

Not sure what you're doing. But you're entitled to dislike it.

I agree, all I see here is someone who couldn't figure out a boss battle and rage quit.

And I personally like the weapon breakage, and how rain makes you unable to climb properly. This again makes you re-think your plan of attack for certain areas, and/or forces you to wait to come back to someone at a different time when the situation changes. I like this aspect of uncertainty as it makes exploring things / combat more interesting.

Really have to disagree with you there. Windwaker was very similar to this, just not as extensively as large - But still quite a large open world game for when it came out.

The game deserves the high praise. The game 'feels like a Zelda game' because of the level of polish. That's the key. This isn't Ass Creed 57 or Skyrim because those games always release buggy as shit, and never have a good all in one package. There is always some subpar aspect to the game.

This game is, IMO, the first truly open world game that really nails a good combat system / movement around the world. Every other open world game fails in this regard. Even AssCreed pales in comparison with how your character 'locks up' to certain things as you are running around. If you don't like the open world design - Fine, got it. I don't like fighting games, but it's why I would never buy a fighting game and then downrate it. At the very least everyone should be able to appreciate just how well your character is able to move around the world in this game and how good it feels.

The later Call of Duty games are well polished. They're overall bug free, which is amazing being multiplatform, which BotW is not. They run at a constant 60 fps, which BotW does not. Yet that doesn't make them good games. They have game play flaws. BotW has game play flaws. It's not about games being open world design and me not liking them. I prefer open world games for the most part to linear games. But I'd agree if you say I don't like games built on the whole mindset of making everything a time sink. I don't. But for the most part, Zelda games weren't like that. And combat in this game is not what I'd call compelling.

I'm glad you like it, but the more I play, the more flaws I'm seeing.

This game has improved in a lot of ways and does have some good gameplay, but there is still the issue of narrative:

Capture_zpsy0wdlexx.png

This game has improved in a lot of ways and does have some good gameplay, but there is still the issue of narrative:

Capture_zpsy0wdlexx.png

Women lack testosterone. When it comes to physical fighting with swords they are woefully inadequate. Sorry if their feelings are hurt, actually I'm not really.

Women lack testosterone. When it comes to physical fighting with swords they are woefully inadequate. Sorry if their feelings are hurt, actually I'm not really.
Lara Croft? And about a dozen others.

That twitter account is right though. The game is sexist, but who cares... It's a video game, its job is not to "empower women". Look at all the other sexist forms of storytelling -- music, movies, books, etc. You can't single out Zelda for doing it when everybody else does. The fantasy "Hero Tale" almost always features a male protagonist.

Zelda was the main character in Wand of Gamelon and it made no difference to the game. It sucked, even if Link was the main character (see: Faces of Evil), it would still suck. That game did nothing to empower women, which is a separate issue than "having a female protag". These games don't empower men, either. To give either message is putting social issue crap into a place nobody wants it.

Tomb Raider uses a female protag but does nothing to empower women. In the end you could replace Lara with a white guy named John and the games would play the same. So I think upset feminists don't just want Zelda to be the main character, they also want the games to forcefully show how strong women can be.

Last edited:
The game both is and isn't Zelda in a traditional sense. It's also heavy on the micromanagement aspects (food, items that break, weather, waiting around, etc.)
I think it's a good game, but there are aspects about it that I hate because you have to constantly manage inventory in one form or another. It's one of those things I find tedious in other games and this one adopted it in spades.

Pacman is what empowered my exgf to eat non-stop.

Let's be real... Link is pretty androgenous in the first place, just pretend he's a girl. :p

You can even dress up like one if you want!

they also want the games to forcefully show how strong women can be.

That's exactly what they want. Unfortunately they are referring to a dainty 17 year old girl. Then they'll rant on twitter about how women don't need a male's protection from their gated apartment community with a security guard.

Luckily most people don't listen, and money speaks much louder than they do.

The game both is and isn't Zelda in a traditional sense. It's also heavy on the micromanagement aspects (food, items that break, weather, waiting around, etc.)
I think it's a good game, but there are aspects about it that I hate because you have to constantly manage inventory in one form or another. It's one of those things I find tedious in other games and this one adopted it in spades.

I don't ever cook anything. It's not necessary to beat the game.

Yes, yes, let's give the game a score of 5 out of 100 because of the fact that it caters to men. Awesome arguments.

Everyone remember E.T. on Atari? I'm pretty sure it sucked because it was catering to males due to E.T. presumably being a guy. It totally wasn't because it wasn't even fit to be called a game.

Who wants to eat paint chips later on? I'm buying.

The dumb part about it is that they did make a good attempt at putting other strong female characters in the game. Two of four of the champions are female..

Why did a perfectly good Zelda thread have to have this sub-topic thrown in? Zelda is actually more powerful than Link in most of the games. Just because you're not controlling her doesn't mean she's a weak character. For mother-fucks' sakes!! I'm rolling my eyes so hard right now, I've detached my retinas. Thanks!

So, breakable weapons eh? Ya hate em' right?!?

Why did a perfectly good Zelda thread have to have this sub-topic thrown in? Zelda is actually more powerful than Link in most of the games. Just because you're not controlling her doesn't mean she's a weak character. For mother-fucks' sakes!! I'm rolling my eyes so hard right now, I've detached my retinas. Thanks!

So, breakable weapons eh? Ya hate em' right?!?

Fuck yeah i hate those breakable weapons. Trying to grind out 13 hearts so I can get the master sword.

I'm one slot away from the fully upgraded weapon capacity and every single slot is filled with a gold-quality "Durability Up" weapon. At this point I actually find nice weapons faster than I can break my current ones. I think the farther you get into the game, the better weapons you find. I don't recall seeing any secondary stats AT ALL until I was around 30 hours into the game. Now every chest seems to contain a boosted item.

Also you can sneak onto a Hynox and steal the weapons off their necklace without killing them. Easy way to get free stuff w/o breaking your existing gear.

Yeah, not the biggest fan of the breakable weapons, but this video does a good job explaining why it has to be, or the game will break. Still not quite sure on the whole thing, but it seems to make sense.

Warning - apparently some "visual spoilers" in this video. 'meh.

Back