Zcash or something else for a single R9 290?

Discussion in 'Mining & Cryptocurrency' started by Chihlidog, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Chihlidog

Chihlidog [H]ard|Gawd

So Ive decided Im a moron not to at least try to make some money on crypto since I cant upgrade my gpu like I want to due to no availablity.

I mined BTC many years ago and got out too soon. Shoulda held on and Id have had about a quarter mil.

Started screwing around with zcash and it seems I can make 2 to 4 dollars a day with my r9 290. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Im just using my gaming rig on my normal residential electricity.

2. xrealm20

xrealm20 Gawd

Easiest thing to do would be to set up a local wallet account with nicehash and a coinbase account for the free transfers. Download the nicehash legacy miner and benchmark the card to see what works best. Keep in mind, NIST5 has been making a ton of $$$ recently and also XMR seems to be good on AMD cards.

3. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

ethereum is by far the best for that card.

4. noko

noko 2[H]4U

I was ranging $3-$4 a day using NiceHash with my 290 2 weeks ago, temporarily not using it now.

It did 27mh/s with Ethereum, Claymore Dual Miner blake2s -15 power, memory @ 1350mhz. Considering my Nano does 28mh/s and my 1070 30mh/s (but less power), the 290 holds up well. I just got some pcie mining risers so it will go back into action. Yes if you just want to make some spare money, NiceHash can get you there but you are looking at about $90 a month or more. If you stock pile coins like PIRL (new Ethereum base coin) it could pay out much more in the long run.

5. trasixes

trasixes Gawd

Using 2x 290s mining Ethereum @ 30 MH/s each. They gobble power, but they are currently pulling in $5.75 per day. AMD cards in general are only good for Ethereum, and anything using the Cryptonight algorithm.

noko likes this.