zalman7000b alcu...

jcll2002

2[H]4U
Im ordering a rig from monarch (they put it together) and I was wondering what hsf to get on the opoty 165. They offer the zalman cnps7000b alcu available to ship on the rig already installed. I want to get the best oc (obviously ;)) and I wanted to know if this hsf is up to par. Also, they offer the Shin-Etsu g675 compound for $15. Many people have told me to just get the $13 hsf they offer and install the scythe ninja or equivalent myself (the 165 is oem). The thing is, if I do get the scythe ninja or the tt big typhoon aftermarket, Im kind of worried because I dont how to install the hsf at all. Well, I have an idea ;), but Ive never done anything like that myself because Ive always been a lappy time. Taking out the mobo, unconnecting everything to it makes me nervous (i will have to do this, right). I asked the monarch rep if installing a hsf myself would void my warranty and the answer was, no it wouldnt but Id have to pay the $75 shipping both ways if I did mess anything up.

So, what do you think is the best option? Just say screw it and get the zalman? Generally speaking, what kind of an oc would i loose by using this hsf? Also, is it worth getting that g675 compound?

What do you think?

Thanks,
jcll2002

BTW, if you scroll down to heat sink, the options they have available to ship installed on the rig are listed. http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=80311

BTW, dont try to convince me too build it myself ;)

46 bucks for that? My 7700CU costed about 33 bucks at Fry's they are over charging you for that cooler.

yeah i know, i already talked to him and I explained the situation and he said not to worry about the price. Not considering cost, what do you thihk?

If you can try to get a 7700CU or the 9500. That if you stick with Zalman. Im pretty sure if you asked them they might change it for you.

I already did. They said they are too heavy to ship installed and they will mess up the cpu...

If you want to get a great OC, then you really should reconsider installing the Ninja youself. Taking out the motherboard and replacing the backplate is as simple as weilding a screwdriver and removing/replacing a couple of screws. Installing the Ninja itself can be a pain in the ass if you aren't paying attention, but all it consists of is getting four clips to slide into place. It's one of the best HSFs out there, and I think if you're going for a great OC, its the way to go. Hell, it's also not too expensive.

The whole task of replacing a HSF sounds a LOT more daunting than it is, and I think that once you've started, you'll be wondering why you were worried in the first place. If you're truly worried, then maybe grabbing a more experienced friend to give you a helping hand could add some confidence.

If all else fails, and I'm not sure if this is an option, do they offer the stock heatpipe cooler (the one that arrives with the FX series, 4200 x2's and above)? the one thats on par with the XP90? If so, and you're REALLY adverse to the idea of installing your own HSF, this would probably be the next best option. As I mentioned it'll perform around the same as an XP90, and should allow for a good OC. If they don't offer it directly from monarch, you could always pick up one from ebay for about $15 shipped and install it yourself, as it will fit directly on the stock 939 mountings, and you won't have to install a new backplate.

i dont even know what a backplate is lol

So all i would have to do is turn off the computer, unplug everything from the mobo, remove the mobo, put on the thermal grease, put on the hsf, put the mobo back in, plug everything back in, close the case. See, the prob is all that stuff I just said I have no experience in. I have no friends around here who are interested in computers (just moved). The only thing Ive ever done is install ram lol

jcll2002 said:
i dont even know what a backplate is lol

So all i would have to do is turn off the computer, unplug everything from the mobo, remove the mobo, put on the thermal grease, put on the hsf, put the mobo back in, plug everything back in, close the case. See, the prob is all that stuff I just said I have no experience in. I have no friends around here who are interested in computers (just moved). The only thing Ive ever done is install ram lol

The process is something like this: unplug the power/usb/firewire connectors to the drives/motherboard so nothing gets tangled up, remove your add-in cards (video card, sound card etc.). Once you've done this, remove the stock hsf (there are a million guides if you need a hand, though it's incredibly simple). Now unscrew the motherboard. the motherboard will then lift out. on the back of the motherboard, right behind the CPU, there is a cross-brace. You'll want to remove the stock one, and replace it with the one that came with the Ninja (again, this only involves removing and replacing screws). Once you've completed that, you can re-install the motherboard to the computer. Next remove the old thermal grease from the processor with some rubbing alcohol and a lint-free cloth, and then add a drop of your own. Now grab the Ninja and hook 2 out of the four clips onto the loops, and press down the other two clips until they hook onto the loops. Now its time to clip on the fan, which means grabbing those two wires and hooking them onto a fan and sliding the clips onto the Ninja.

While what I just said may sound intimidating because you haven't done any of this before, I think that A. It's quite rewarding to complete something like this by yourself and B. If you use common sense and maybe a guide or two as a fail-safe, the whole process shouldn't take longer than about a half-hour, even for a newbie.

Again, if you don't think that's your cup of tea, search on ebay for one of these coolers which should run you a total of ~$15 shipped. This heatsink is meant for the same mounting that your opteron is already on, so all you'd have to do is remove your stock HSF, clean off the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol (highest purity you can find) and a lint free cloth. Now add a DAB (half-3/4s grain of rice) on the center of the cpu, and then install the hsf. That will net you XP-90 performance.

oh, and btw the case Im getting has a removable motherboard tray if that makes a difference.

Back