Zalman ZM-MFC1 Fan Controller...

Moose777

2[H]4U
Does anyone else have one of these?

And if so, can someone tell me what the white wire is for? I have a funny feeling it's for the LED but I want to make sure.

My problem is, is that all my fans are 2 pin and I'm curious and would like to know if I remove the white wire from the ahrnesses if I'll have any issues.

Unless of course someone knows where one can get a 2 pin fan controller that can handle at least 4 fans.

This is the second time I've run into compatability issues. Thanks for the help.

I was thinking about that but I like the dials.

In a period of 2 days I've returned more stuff to the computer store than I've ever returned ever. I really like this controller but I'm having an issue with the white wire.

I've searched the net for 2 days trying to figure out what the white wire is and can't find anything. I found one review where it said that rigs with 2 pin fans will have to modify their 3 pin harness to work but it doesn't say what to do and then a few paragrpahs it contradicted itself in stating that the 3 wires will have to be used.

I'm hoping someone knows what's up with it.

I could probably pull my 80mm out of my POS Hewlitt Packard and dig up one of my old power supplys and test it with 2 wires and see what it does. But I'd have to cut the hanress to do it and I'd really like to find out before I start cutting the harness apart.

I'm almost certain the white wire is for fan speed reporting. Black is ground, and red is 12v.

I don't believe you need that for any of your fans, but your BIOS/Motherboard Monitor/etc. wont report fan speeds (or that the fans are even running) without that wire. So be sure to turn off any warnings that it gives when the RPMs drop below a certain speed.

Oh, ok. Then that's cool.

My fans are weird. They've got 3 sets of wires coming off of them.

One set is a 2 pin that can be setup for full RPM, or a temperature sensor.

The second set is a seperate lead that goes to the mother board for the RPM reporting which I have run through the Asus Probe.

And the third set is a 2 pin for the fan control.

So, that's really cool then. I;ll just cut the 2 pin plugs off and splice them into these 3 pin harnesses and just disregard the white wire.

Okies, I installed it. It works pretty good. It's definitely nice to be able to control the speed of the fans fromt he front of the case. Although I do have ibe gripe about it. I don't particuallary like how dim it's made my fan LED's but I can live with that.

Back