Zalman Z-Machine GT1000

• Thread starter Deleted member 147607
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 147607

I was waiting for the Fatality logos to go. This titanium offering looks nice as well.

GT1000_08.jpg

http://www.zalmanusa.com/

Best,

Liquid Cool

Looks amazing, but I'm sure it won't look so good once I see the price tag :\.

yeah, that case looks sick. It might just be time to replace the li-767 with something a bit smaller. nice find.

Well, the case looks cool BUT...

Why the hell do I want the bottom two fans to draw air and blow it over my HOT HDD's, THEN blast that hot air back to the freaking proc and video card. Seriously, with all of the cooling knowledge that we have now (and especially Zalman for Christs sake) can't we design a case that puts the HDD cooling off somewhere else and give me some fresh air for the components in the rear?:confused: Grrrrr:mad: :mad:

FrozenCPU has them in stock for a high 3 number(going from memory). A little expensive, but 4-5mm aluminium is what I consider to be good quality and with the way aluminium prices have been going up...you could always recycle when your finished...;) .

As far as airflow, I've never measured the difference in temperature coming off the hard drives to the back of the case, but I'm imagining the air isn't staying around long enough to pick up much in temperature, with exception to any hotspots or dead flow areas which this design does seem to minimalize over some cases that i've used. I say this with the caveat that I usually only use one hdd, sometimes two in raid or a swap set up. If you're throwing four to six drives in, I'd imagine that should be measurable? Perhaps I'll try putting one of my probes into the case when I build it and measure any difference in temp between one, two, three, and four drives. Thanks for bringing this up.

As far as air flow, this appears to flow like the old Chieftec, Chenming, Antec cases. Basically low incoming air in the front, higher in the back with an ATX design. I always received great temps in those cases and I haven't had as good of success with the Lian Li's. Although, I am a big fan of the quality in design and workmanship that goes into a Lian Li.

Not to turn this thread into a show and tell by any means, but here are a couple of shots of my old LAN rigs for an example:

DSCN0998.JPG

DSCN1239.JPG

You could open the side of the case of the Lian Li and feel the hot spot above the video card.

I'm also wondering if the flow of air over the bottom(as is stands now in my LL V2100), or in this case, the top of the video card wouldn't improve temps at idle. These 8800's are quite hot compared to the temps I've been used to in the past. My 7800GT's were idling in the mid-30's, and I can't get my 8800GTS to idle under the mid 60's.

At any rate, it's seems like a nice case, and I've been waiting to see if Zalman would remove the Fatality logo's on a different version of the case before I build a LAN rig that I've been contemplating for some time. I like the design, and I'm going for the titanium model.

Best,

Liquid Cool

8800 GTX's do run quite hot, and they exhaust some heat back into the case intentionally (though I have no idea why)... Still, the easiest solution is to add a fan to the slots below the the video card to exhaust all that heat it puts out (above it in the lower picture).

Black w/ Blue - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...000_High_End_Gaming_Enclosure_-_Titanium.html

Black w/ Red - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...GT1000_High_End_Gaming_Enclosure_-_Black.html

Sweet looking Zalman fan controller - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...FC2_Multi_Fan_Controller_-_PWM_Fan_Ready.html

The cases are $380, and the fan controller is $55. I'm surprised they actually released the GT1000 without 18 Fatal1ty logos plastered on it. I love the case design, and its definitely something I would buy.

I love the case.
Well.. Until I read some Zalman field-test reviews.
There is nothing in this case to hold your psu.
Basically, your psu is going to be held by 4 tiny screws. :eek:

for $380 i think ill pass zalman should make something affordable damnit!

and this case is in no difference than the fatality one just no stickers of fatality.. seems to me zalman couldnt come up with another design... -_- ill pass until they get something in the range of my priceline..

koolance,

I'd appreciate it if you could forward a link to the review on this case, I'd like to take a closer look at it.

Thanks,

Liquid Cool

Hate to say it but that's not a good review (if you can call it that) they don't install and system or powersupply, only a harddrive. I too am interested in hearing more about the powersupply mounting. Currently in my case the psu is only held up by 4 'tiny' screws and I've had no problems, I can't imagine with 5 mm aluminum that mounting method being anything but stable.

I was seriously considering this for a new case when I saw it at Cebit. I was thinking it would be more affordable w/o the fatal1ty (or however you spell it) branding, guess I was wrong. I don't the like the hard drive mounts at the bottom too, just makes the case unnecesarily bigger.

But to it's defense, it's 5mm aluminum. I <3 aluminuminum.

Ranger,

After making a small fortune in GOOG over the last three years, I'll have to admit, yes...google has been my friend. Now, If it can continue to hold support at $460, it probably has a good chance of enjoying our ongoing relationship and I'm under the impression that breaking the Short-Term downtrend line on volume this week looks rather encouraging. Although, let me be very clear. This relationship of ours is based solely on performance.

GOOG - Daily Chart

Before digressing any further, perhaps I should stay on topic?

I should have been more specific. I was looking for the exact article Koolance was referring to so I could come to my own conclusions on what the author's points were in regards to how the PSU was mounted. Although, I do appreciate you forwarding the link to an article for review. The pictures gave me a pretty good look at the internals of the case, enough to relieve any anxiety at least. The picture below let me know the thickness of the rear cover plate on the case and by looking at my V2100 it appears to be just about the same.

gt1000psusupport.jpg

While I wouldn't dance a jig on top of the PSU in my Lian Li, it seems to hold it in there rather firmly and has a nice clean look to it. Alot of these support bars I've seen are actually used for case rigidity. Have you ever removed one in a Chieftec? As thick as this case is, I don't see the need for one. Personal opinion of course.

I'll have to agree with rocket, the review did seem incomplete, but I'm chalking it up to the newness of the case, and the pictures gave me enough of the story to get me started. Now I just have to figure out how to get my trusty dremel involved enough to get some water flowing, and I'll be satisfied. Once it gets here from FCPU, I'll be able to take a good look and think it over for awhile.

Would like to know if the hard drive cage is removable, perhaps a search on the Fatality line will come up with an answer to that question. As of now, I like the two separate locations for installing a hard drive on the bottom of the case, might not look too bad throwing a couple of windowed raptors down there.

Best,

Liquid Cool

the HDDs aren't that hot...

I guess I might have flown off the handle a little. :)

I just picture a scenario where I have 3 15K drives that do get hot (when compared to teh air outside) and how that impacts temps. Also, if you use more than one drive, it impedes airflow to the back of the case, though I can't say how much.

Liquid Cool said:
Perhaps I'll try putting one of my probes into the case when I build it and measure any difference in temp between one, two, three, and four drives. Thanks for bringing this up.
That would be very helpful if you have the time... thanks!

Erg, I loved the old case, but hated the fatal1ty logos, now I love this case but hate the Zmachine logo (so cheesy)...c'mon zalman, give me something clean

Well, the case looks cool BUT...

Why the hell do I want the bottom two fans to draw air and blow it over my HOT HDD's, THEN blast that hot air back to the freaking proc and video card. Seriously, with all of the cooling knowledge that we have now (and especially Zalman for Christs sake) can't we design a case that puts the HDD cooling off somewhere else and give me some fresh air for the components in the rear?:confused: Grrrrr:mad: :mad:
There called the Antec P180 series;)

I'm going to replace my TJ07 with this I think, I f'd the panel on my TJ07 and you can't get replacement ones so this looks like the best alternative atm (I don't need the size)

Back