Zalman VF900Cu thingy

A

altcon

Hello all,
I got an X1800XT not too long ago, and after a whole month of feeling like someone was scraping my inner ear while gaming, I decided to put an end to it.
So, I got a Zalman VF900cu cooler.
So here's my little install trip....
First the package:

Then theres the inside of the package:

the Nice and shiney backplate:

and my victim

So, for the install the first step is removing the stock heatsink, which was really easy.
Unscrew the 8 screws, disconnect the cooler fan from the board and you're done!!

now assembling the new heatsink takes all of three easy steps:
1) stick the small heatsinks on the memory

2) set up the screws on the VF900cu unit to match the gpu and put a small amount of thermal paste on the chip (I used AS5)

3) put the springs on the back and turn the nipples till its tight (bit rotating so pressure is
equal across the VPU)

And Voila you have it:
vf900cu015ch2.jpg

And Lastly in my PC:
vf900cu017zk7.jpg

now for the change...
MY Idle temp dropped from 60-62 to 46-49.
My full load temp maxes out at 73, a major drop from 84-85 where it was before.
Idle temps were checked after an hour of nada, and load temps after an hour 3Dmark05.
How about system temp?
All the reviews I've read claim my system temp should rise a bit.
NO!!!
My system temp fell my 2 degrees on the chipset and 3 on the CPU, why you ask?
My guess is that the massive Stock Cooler was obstructing Airflow in the case from the front fan. I would also venture a guess that the VF900cu is actively cooling my chipset which is using the Zalman N47J passive cooler.
Lastly,
Regarding noise, there is none I can hear, my case fan which is quite silent is louder then the new cooler and the VF900cu is set to 100% all the time.

Best cooling purchase I've made so far.....I seriously recommend it to anyone suffering from heat or noise from their GPU!

I just bought the new Zalman Fatality(Fata1ity or whatever that guys nick is) Nickle plated one for my new 7900 GT last night and it runs nice and cool :) Idling last night my 7900 GT was 40c but I didnt do any load temps yet

Oh and I just want to say this was the easiest gpu cooler install that I have done to date.

Nice job man!! I use that cooler's older brother VF700 Cu.

-Bryan

PS: Clean that CPU heatsink!!:p

Nice ;) Although where you live must be really hot. My X1800XT does great with the stock heatsink, idling at 38-42c and loads at 55-58c. The fan is at 100% all the time though, because I'm hearing impaired :cool: When I got my card I put Arctic Silver Ceramique on it. Helps a lot. Less nastier than AS5 :D

Mr. Stryker said:
Nice ;) Although where you live must be really hot. My X1800XT does great with the stock heatsink, idling at 38-42c and loads at 55-58c. The fan is at 100% all the time though, because I'm hearing impaired :cool: When I got my card I put Arctic Silver Ceramique on it. Helps a lot. Less nastier than AS5 :D
To have the stock heatsink running at 100% you'd have to be hearinf impaired
(no offense), it sounds like a small jet trying to take off....

psychot|K said:
Too much AS5 dude.
more to do with the angle and the flash....
It's a thin evenly spread layer (about a small drop of AS5).

Back