Zalman VF700-Cu vs NV Silencer

twajetmech

Limp Gawd
I have an Asus V9999GT videocard, and would like to improve the cooling over the stock cooler on the card. I already have a Zalman VF700-Cu from my older card. Of the two choices: Zalman VF700-Cu vs NV Silencer, which one would offer the best cooling.

I got my 6800gt to 431/1130 with the zalman cooling. That is stable 24/7, if I wanted to I could possibly get it to 441/1139.

Im currenly @400/1100 100% stable, havent really tried anything higher cause Im scared haha, but it should take a bit more, its doing 53C idle and about 70C load.

Juic3 said:
Im currenly @400/1100 100% stable, havent really tried anything higher cause Im scared haha, but it should take a bit more, its doing 53C idle and about 70C load.
What cooler is that with?

Sorry, with the zalman vf700-cu, maybe you should also look into the thermalright v1, that one came out when my zalman shipped :(.

i suggest the zalman... the only thing taht the silence has on the zalman is that it exhausts air out the case. but with a couple of good case fans, it shouldnt matter. Besides, the zalman can most likely be reused for other video card applications

Zalman hands down. Many users have reported the NV Silencers making very poor clean contact along all points.

Honestly both coolers have their plus and minus points. Most people seem to recommend the zalman, althought im not sure why. In terms of pure performance, then the silencer is the way to go. With both heatsinks at 100% fan speed (note: most reviews do NOT do this, and compair the zalman at 100% speed against a silencers at 20-30% fan speed) the silencer easy matched the zalman on temps, in most cases it evens beat s it by 1-2C, plus the silencers has the rear exhaust, and i dont care how many fans your case has, unless you have no case at all, then this DOES help. On the other hand, teh Zalman looks better (i guess?) plus its alittle more universal, it fits on more cards than the silencers, although this isnt a problem if your going to buy a different cooler for your neck card and keep whatever you buy now on this one.

All in all, i recommend the silencer. Ive used both heatsinks (a silencer on my old X800 and a Zalman on my new 7800 GTX) and honestly, the silencer 'wow'ed' me alot more than this zalman did, i kinda find my zalman abit 'meh', not overly impressive.

V1 looks like an awesome cooler, however from reading the reviews on it, it looks like a pain in the ass to install.

Zalman hands down. I also had a NV5 which never fit right so I canned it. When I buy something I expect it to fit w/o having to mod it so thats why my vote is for Zalman.

no experiance with the zalman, but my silencer fits perfect and works very well.

Go with the Zalman. If you got the Silencer instead, you'd end up ditching it for the Zalman anyway due to its shitty contact. So save yourself the hassle with the Silencer and get the Zalman :) But hey you might get lucky and get a Silencer that actually fits. If it seems like I don't like the Silencer it's because its the devil incarnate.

MX2times said:
Zalman hands down. Many users have reported the NV Silencers making very poor clean contact along all points.
I had to bust out a die grinder to make mine work. If the Zalman was out at the same time when I bought the Silencer I would've gone the Zalman route.

Back