Zalman Thermal Grease > Arctic Silver 5

Praetorius

Limp Gawd
I just compared the performance of the two and Zalman's thermal grease worked dramatically better.

With Arctic Silver 5: 53°C
With Zalman grease: 38°C

The Zalman grease is the same stuff included with their HSFs.

Then you need to check your heatsink mounting procedure. You did something wrong with the Arctic Silver 5. It is a thermal interface material, nothing else. You will never see a 15 degree difference, maybe 3-5 degrees between the best TIM and regular white silicon goop.

Repeat your tests 5 times for each, remove the highest and lowest temperatures, then average the remaining three. You will see that the performance will be very close.

what makes this worse is this is coming from a member that's been here since 2002

hes only an limpgawd. take it easy on him. but you must be using too much as5, an unclean hsf, leaving old TIM behind, or something of that sort.

HAHAHAA ^ peanut butter would be uber f*ckin 1337. I'm going to go try that

Praetorius said:
I just compared the performance of the two and Zalman's thermal grease worked dramatically better.

With Arctic Silver 5: 53°C
With Zalman grease: 38°C

The Zalman grease is the same stuff included with their HSFs.

:rolleyes: lol....

Guess what? I fucked up big time. :D

I just realized while fumbling with the mobo again that when I mounted the HSF with the Arctic Silver 5 spread on the CPU the first time, the shitty clips that hold the HSF assembly must have been completely popped out on one side. Essentially the HSF was slightly tilted and only partially making contact with the CPU! I ran it like that for a couple of days. I can't believe it didn't fry it!! :eek:

I reveal myself to you all... as a total tard. :rolleyes:

*takes a bow*

Praetorius said:
Guess what? I fucked up big time. :D

I just realized while fumbling with the mobo again that when I mounted the HSF with the Arctic Silver 5 spread on the CPU the first time, the shitty clips that hold the HSF assembly must have been completely popped out on one side. Essentially the HSF was slightly tilted and only partially making contact with the CPU! I ran it like that for a couple of days. I can't believe it didn't fry it!! :eek:

I reveal myself to you all... as a total tard. :rolleyes:

*takes a bow*

IVE DONE THAT EXACT THING! only 3 of the 4 clips on my xp120 were pushed down. i could still run stock speeds really well though . :D we all make mistakes. its no biggy

I've made much dumber mistakes, I'll admit. I ruined a motherboard once because I pulled off a chip I *thought* was the bios.

Back