Zalman northbridge heatsink?

Miller

Limp Gawd
I'm looking into buying a Zalman 7700C to replace the stock CPU heatsink on my ABIT AS8. The Zalman website says that I need to replace the stock northbridge fan with the Zalman northbridge heatsink (the purpose of doing so I'm not entirely sure; it's obviously a more silent solution, but it still takes up the same amount of space; anyone care to shed some light on this?).

The problem is, I can't find a single place that sells the heatsink. It doesn't appear to come with the 7700C, you evidently can't order it through Zalman's website and it doesn't appear on Tigerdirect or Newegg, so far as I can tell.

If anyone can let me know where I can get it, or if I'm just dumb and it comes with the heatsink. let me know. Thanks. :)

The northbridge on the AS8 most likely blocks proper fitment for the 7700 (it sure looks like it would from the pictures on newegg's website,) the Zalman northbridge has a cutout that allows clearance.

If (for whatever reason) you don't trust Zalman's website why not just buy the 7700 and then if it doesn't fit get the northbridge cooler afterwards.

Korruption: You're right, it doesn't actually say that you have to use the NB47J. However, I also didn't realize that the link you provided (which I had already seen) was actually what I was looking for. I should take a closer look next time. :p Thanks.

Threeclaws: I think you're right, the stock fan doesn't look like it'd allow enough space for the 7700. And I do trust Zalman's website, and so I'm going to get the fan. :p

Thanks again guys.

Back