Zalman northbridge heatsink enough?

DunM@

Limp Gawd
I just bought a "ABIT nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7-S V2" -RETAIL" from newegg and it comes with a fan on the chipset but I'd like to keep this machine relatively quiet so I was wondering if I could swap it with the zalman without loosing stability. If it matters I'm going to be using a 1600+ on it (as in low FSB). Any insights?

the zalman's pretty good.

should be fine with that, especially if there is a fair amount of case airflow, as that will blow air over the zalman, which will help even more.

Thanks, next question, how much better is arctic silver 5 compaired to 3?

If you want to squeeze out your mainboard to the last Mhz I suggest you to use an active northbridge cooling. The nforce2 heats a lot when is clocked beyond the 200 MHz.
For my NF7-S I use NorthPole www.microcool.it, it works fine.
Tis fan @12V is quite loud, but if you put it at @7V or better @5V is a perfect solution. Further the Sunon MagLev fan is really the best.

Northpole_foto_1.jpg

Northpole_foto_2.jpg

I'm not really planning to OC it to the ends of the earth, I'm just going to push it as far as it will stabily go WITHOUT sunon noise levels... I know I know, water cool it, but I don't have that kind of money just now.

Back