Zalman NB47J and AeroCool HT-101

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
Has anyone installed ither of these before?

I have a Gigabyte 8KNXP Rev 2.0 board and the Zalman NB cooler is installed but it doesn't seem to be incredibly secure. I can wobble it back and forth a little. The Northbridge on my board isn't like the Southbridge. The NB has a small little core like an Athlon XP CPU. I'm using AS5 with it.

I also just installed an AeroCool HT-101 and it seems to sit pretty firmly on the CPU except the little white plastic pegs aren't tall enough so it bends down the metal shims on each corner when i screw the heatsink down. Should i try and get some little plastic washers to stick on there so the shims dont have to bend down to make contact with the existing pegs?

MBM5 says my idle temp is around 35-36C which isn't much lower if that than when i was using the stock Intel heatsink/fan. I havn't overclocked the processor yet so everything is still at stock figures.

I have one of the Zalmans on my NB. It does seem kinda wobbly (even popped off once when I first put it on :eek: ). My temps seem pretty good, though, and it's a hell of a lot quieter than that stock thing.

Whats your Northbridge like? Does it have the shim on it like a Pentium 4/A64 CPU or is it bare like an Athlon XP processor? Mine is bare like the AXP and so its just a little core for the sink to sit on.

It seems to get pretty warm so i guess its transfering heat to the heatsink alright but i hate how it will wobble back and forth a little when i mess with it.

Has anyone installed the Zalman NB47J on a Northbridge that just has the bare core without the shim?

I tried to install it on mine. Didn't trust the way it just kinda wobbled back and forth so I just ordered a Thermaltake NB-1C(copper version) that should do nicely :)

its wobbly b/c the bottom surface needs to be lapped badly!

i was taking apart my northbridge while i had the shuttle motherboard out for something, and noticed the paste only touched at the four corners to the northbridge, so i went away at lapping it, and OMG , you can just run ur finger from corner to corner and notice the concave surface,

after the lapping was done, it didnt wobble

im guessin it will just wobble less, since some p4 chipsets has the exposed raised core in the middle

paulmofyourhand said:
im guessin it will just wobble less, since some p4 chipsets has the exposed raised core in the middle

Yes, my Gigabyte 8KNXP 875p board has the exposed core like an Athlon XP and so thats the reason it wants to wobble back and forth. Its just sitting on a little core in the center of the NB. If it had a shim over it like alot of the others do then it would sit flat and not wobble.

It definitely seems to be drawing heat from the NB core because it stays fairly warm to the touch.

burningrave101 said:
Has anyone installed the Zalman NB47J on a Northbridge that just has the bare core without the shim?
Yes, on my Abit NF7-S.
I did not use the supplied pushpins to hold it on however.
A quick trip to Ace hardware and two 4-40 plastic screws later it was nice and secure.

sprocket said:
Yes, on my Abit NF7-S.
I did not use the supplied pushpins to hold it on however.
A quick trip to Ace hardware and two 4-40 plastic screws later it was nice and secure.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I'll grab some plastic screws when i go to get some plastic washers for my AeroCool HT-101.

Back