Zalman NB47 not working??

dangfx

Gawd
Hi Everyone!

Some bad news........................

So my asus A8N-E chipset fan kicked out. I've read that many have had success with this Zalman northbridge cooler. I removed the screeching fan, cleaned off the northbridge chip with alcohol, removed the surrounding rubber, stuck on the AS5, and put the Zalman in place. But now I'm getting VERY high temps.... getting up to 47-48 degrees (thats when i shut off the comp) in the BIOS when idle.

what am i doing wrong?

Think about it, the heatsink is completely passive, and the nForce4 chipset runs very hot... you do the math. The heatsink will cool down significantly if you get some airflow moving around it.

But many people have used the NB47J without any active cooling whatsoever... I see all over that good temps are about 32-35 degrees, without fan. With temps like mine, it is *nessasary* to use a fan... odd, since right on the Zalman package it says "does not require any fan" and many people do just that.

no need for fan as long as your air cooling, with water cooling, yes you need like 4 cfm

the NB47J gets pretty hot to the touch, so a fan nearby wouldn't hurt, but I don't have one and it's been running stable for two weeks now under heavy gaming loads.

or am i missing something?

:confused:

The NB47J was made when chipsets were not as hot as the NF4's of today, hence Zalman's claim of not needing a fan. I myself don't see many NF4 + NB47J's running without some sort of fan rigged nearby. My setup has an 80mm conveniently blowing over it.

N_Raged,
what are your temps like? i have had a relatively quiet 120mm antec fan blowing DIRECTLY on my zalman for about an hour now, and its held at 36-38 degrees centigrade... thats under load too. That seems *OKAY* ...but then i read about people like "sean":

just finished installing my NB47J on my board and my temps dropped from 48 degrees to 32 degrees!!!!!!!

That, paired with having it at about 32-36 when i was using the asus fan, doesnt make me think like i'm doing the right thing......

(btw, what IS the highest safe temp that the chipset should be at??)

I've got the A8N-SLI and I think the reason mine stays under 40C most of the time is because the VF700 on my 7800GTX is butted up right next to the NB, so the air pushing thru the vid cooler is also spreading somewhat over the NB, enough to not need a separate fan on the NB.

My sensor temperatures for the chipset is kind of wierd, but it reports it as idling at 25C and never over 36C under load. My motherboard temp is 32C.

Back