zalman+mobo= grounding?

entermymatrix03

Limp Gawd
hey guys, i have a small problem. i installed my new mobo (Gigabyte K8N-939) yesterday. i have my zalman cpu heatsink on my amd athlon64 4000+. in order to install this heatsink, you have to remove the normal mounting hardware from the mobo and use the zalman backplate for support. my computer will boot windows once or twice and then load windows and restart. sometimes my monitor doesn't even come on and my power light will come on and the fans will spin and then restart without even showing the boot up screen. do you guys think maybe i am grounding out the mobo? the screws that hold the zalman in place are metal. what do you all think? i am not using the cardboard washers with the mobo because i lost them. i am using notebook paper reinforcers. the little paper sticker ones. are these not thick enough?

also, can i just mount the zalman using the original mounting bracket? it sits a little higher than the copper screws zalman provides. has anyone else done this instead?

could this possible be if i don't have the front panel hooked up also? i know the power led isn't hooked up right, could this be causing it?

That shoudnt be an issue...

Um one thing you should really check is the temps of your CPU. Its certianly possible that the hsf isnt getting proper contact. Is the fan on? haha seriously. I connected everything and thought woot then I realized that I forgot to attach the fanmate thing >_<

I hooked mine up using the original backplate on my Asus A8V to mount this Zalman.

you can't do that using Gigabyte boards, they have these little white push tabs that lock the backplate into place. i will try reseating the heatsink tonight. would this cause the computer to not post and keep my dvd drives flashing. its like it keeps power looping like the board just can't boot up. it did that twice last night and then finally booted into windows and all was fine. i worked in it for a while, rebooted and it looped again. this is why i think its a grounding issue. sometimes it will boot into windows and then reboot itself. what do you guys think? grounding or no?

Go get some cardboard and make it into washers....use a hole punch or something...

i suggest cardboard for everything....and pineapple soda...

btw, which zalman heatsink are you talking about? they have like 10 different ones....

Back