Zalman Fan Mate 2 = X over start up more than 5V+

rox1co

[H]ard|Gawd
i'm planning on using Fan Mates over a Sunbeam Rheobus after tinking with my Fan Mate and realizing that it works on regular case fans (not just for my CPU fan)

3. Do not use FAN MATE 2 with fans that have a start up voltage of more than 5V.
Please check the start up voltage in the specifications of the fan.

I'm getting the Aspire 120mm Fan and it states Start-up Voltage 6.0 VDC

only start-up i could find for the Aspire Fan but is that correct? without the DC, but anyways. would it be that bad with +1V over the warning?

If you turn the fanmate all the way down, your fan might not start. If your fan won't start, just turn it up a little.

i'm asking if it's fine that my fan has a start-up of 6V which is 1V+ over the recommended

Yes, it is fine. The warning is because it is possible to turn the voltage to fan down to 5V with the fanmate. So if your fan doesn't start at 5V, you have to turn it up (ie to 6V like your fan says it needs).

ah! makes sense. appreciate it :) was scared that i'd screw something up

rox1co said:
ah! makes sense. appreciate it :) was scared that i'd screw something up

Nah, you're fine except you need to be aware that if you have your fanbus turned all the way down your fan might not start spinning when you power up your system.

The start up voltage for fans basically tells you that 'I need this amount of voltage to start spinning'. So if you connect that Aspire fan to your rheobus and turn the voltage all the way down to 5v, the next time you power on your system it MIGHT not start spinning... because it needs 6v to get going. So just be aware as this could be dangerous if it's being used as a CPU/GPU fan or something.

you didn't read my thread, i'm not using the rheobus anymore. i'm replacing them with the fan mates

and i would never use them for my cpu/gpu

Back