Zalman External Hard Drive enclosure with built-in ISO loader $30AR free ship @egg

kohan69

2[H]4U
So I was looking for a utility to boot any ISO from my USB stick, doesn't exist. Shit needs to be hardware.

There's YUMI:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

but meh.

The only problem with these is that they have a very shitty usb connector, you have to be superfuckingcareful with them.

oh well, no alternative exists, except the older usb 2.0/esata version ZM-VE200

These things are usually ~$50

So the 2 on sale on newegg are for $35 for the black model, and $30 for the silver model

I don't see any other difference between them. DO YOU?

rebate is good til 31st, so 2 days left.

I use YUMI and it works pretty well, i also use multisystem and it does pretty good, but you have to install it in linux.

I dont see that those drives do anything special, or better than a good usb stick, i use several multi boot usb stick, with several versions of live persistent Linux, and tools like clonezilla and gparted. and dont have any difficulties with them, i even have a spare desktop on one that is live and persistent.

i have the old ZM-VE200, probably one of my favorite IT tools... so nice to have....

I use YUMI and it works pretty well, i also use multisystem and it does pretty good, but you have to install it in linux.

I dont see that those drives do anything special, or better than a good usb stick, i use several multi boot usb stick, with several versions of live persistent Linux, and tools like clonezilla and gparted. and dont have any difficulties with them, i even have a spare desktop on one that is live and persistent.

Does this work with windows iso's though?

YUMI works with only one windows ISO, not multiple ones.

Using this enclosure, you can just drop any and all isos into the _iso folder and the computer will think it's an external optical drive

probably a good method to circumvent some ancient copycd protection.

Starforce anyone?

YUMI works with only one windows ISO, not multiple ones.

Using this enclosure, you can just drop any and all isos into the _iso folder and the computer will think it's an external optical drive

probably a good method to circumvent some ancient copycd protection.

Starforce anyone?

Wow. That is moderately badass. So if you boot up with 300 isos in said folder does your system see 300 optical drives?

No, it has a small LCD and you choose which ISO to load into that ONE optical drive.

It has 3 modes: optical drive emulator only, emulator+external drive, and just external drive

It works great, all except Darik's Boot And Nuke work fine (it sees the drive as something, and is confused trying to mount it, i guess)

edit: err, i thought old hot deals threads get automoved to discussion, sorry. didnt meant to necrothread

Last edited:
Not sure on size of iso, but I have a mini ubuntu iso it will not boot as well...?

OMG! I didn't even know yumi existed until now. I'm loading an old 30gb drive I have with a bunch of iso's to test it out right now!

Back