Zalman Cooler for P67A-UD7 in an Antec Sonata I or II case

LittleTinyScooby

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone.

I'm new to using 3rd party coolers, but not new to custom builds and was looking for some advice.

I'm putting together a new build and unlike my usual tradition of using stock heat sinks, I was thinking of purchasing my first Zalman copper cooler.

Since I have an Antec Sonata and Sonata II, some of the quietest cases in existance, I'm looking for a Zalman that is quiet. I also hate high pitched noises, so it cant have that either.

I'm going by ratings and can't decide between the Zalman 9500A-LED 92 mm, CNP29700 LED, CNpS9500, and the CNP29900ALED.

These are all Neweggs top rated coolers.

The system I'm putting together is based on the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 (B3 stepping) LGA-1155 motherboard and using the Intel i7-2600K processor. The memory is going to be 4 sticks of 4GB modules (F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL). This set is QVL approved for this board. Also waiting on the Vertex 3 120GB SSD that will be out later in the month.

Since this combo will be used in either an Antec Sonata I or II, size matters, as these cases are rather small in my opinion, but I like them because they are so quiet and they look sleek. (piano black).

I'm not planning on overclocking this chip, but it could become a possibility in the future and that is one of the reasons I want to go with a Zalman, but also, just to keep the temp down better than a stock cooler as it will be under constant heavy load hours at a time. (6 hours or greater).

Another thing I am trying to avoid, and maybe I'm not looking at this correctly, but in the past, as of late, it seems like when I use stock coolers and working with the spring tension of installing the heatsink, etc., it seems like its very easy to almost bend the motherboard due to the nature of stock heatsinks (most recent was a Q6600).

Does installing a custom Zalman cooler prevent this potential bending of motherboards during the install? I watched a few of the videos and it looks like less tension is required for installing an aftermarket cooler, but perhaps that is not the case, anyone know for sure?

So, in looking at these 4 Zalmans, I think LED lighting is kind of a nice feature, but not required. I guess the important question is, will any of these 4 NOT fit in the UD7 \ Sonata setup?

Since space is an issue, should I only be looking at the smaller 9500A-LED (92mm) unit, since it is the smallest?

Also, since I will be using all 4 memory sockets, is clearance an issue as well? I saw one video where 4 modules of memory impeded a large heatsink fan combo but 2 modules were fine on a system.

Anyway, just starting to read all the reviews on New Egg, and I am completely new to third party coolers so any other help is appreciated. I'm looking for best quality, ease of install, smallest size, and quiet operation. I don't mind the fact that I have to be careful not getting cut on the blades. I'll be going very slow.

I've chozen Zalman because they seem like the best and they also look amazing as well. I ruled out the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus because it is ugly, is made of aluminum and it reminds me of Microsoft hardware (I.E. the Xbox360). Maybe it's not that bad, but in terms of looks, Zalman seems much better, and same with ratings, also, copper seems like the better choice and seems to be worth the extra expense from what I have read.

That brings up an interesting thing. Of the 4 Zalmans, 2 say copper and 2 say pure copper. Is that a typo, or do the other ones have some tiny trace of non-copper in them?

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has the UD7 and if so, do they think these Zalmans would fit ok on the board (do I need any custom brackets) or is everything in the Zalman box that I would need (besides Artic Silver 5 which I have on order), and a plus would be if anyone here has the UD7 in an Antec Sonata I or II case, or for that matter, any Zalman out of the 4 mentioned above inside of an Antec Sonata I or II using any recent Intel motherboard. thanks

update: Just noticed out of the 4, that one of the Zalmans has an ugly black fan. (the CNPS9500 AT). For what I am looking for (looks are somewhat important, but not a showstopper), do you think I should drop this one from my list? The other 3 have nice clear fans and LED's that make them appear to have better looks (although to be honest, the only time I will notice the looks is during my intial build and on occasion when opening the case for upgrades, etc.). Unless the CNPS9500 is quieter or easier to install than the other 3, I might rule this one out however because it doesn't look as cool as the other 3. Even though I wouldn''t be opening the case that often, on the times I do, that extra coolness \ wow factor might come into play during those times. :) Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back