Zalman CNPS9700 with Core i7

Wilo

Limp Gawd
With the LGA1366 adapter, this looks like a great aftermarket cooler for the i7. Anyone have any experience with it?

I wouldn't. My CNPS9500 barely handles the heat of my q6600 @ 3.2ghz. Yes the 9700 is a tad bigger but it won't make much difference. They are pretty coolers to look at but they can't handle the heat as well as the competitors.

What brands are recommended for the i7, aside from the stock HSF for non-overclockers?

The newer Zalman 9900 should work just fine if you like the looks of it. Benchmarks have shown it to keep cpu cool over the 9500 or 9700 Zalman.

i vote for the TRUE here 2! its a good cooler and you can find the aluminium edition for around $50 but if you want to save cash i'd say a zalman 9900 is a good idea,a 9700 might work but it just keeps my stock phenom II 940 at 40C idle and 48C load, fan 100% all around

I wouldn't. My CNPS9500 barely handles the heat of my q6600 @ 3.2ghz.

I just put the 9500 on my i7.

Stock speed (2.66Ghz) its at 35c right now.
On a full load it never goes above 45c lol.

Tomorrow ill OC it and see what it can handle. Ill aim for 3.4Ghz for now until I get a new cooler.

But I agree with you, I dont think it will be too good. I'll probably save up for a TRUE for my next purchase.

Well surprisingly my 9500 is holding up great.

With 2 hours of prime going.
Its at 3.6Ghz its averaged a temperature of 72.6c

With my case I have about 4 fans directly near the HSF so I think I have ALOT of airflow going through the case.

Ill maybe try max out near high 70's. Maybe ~3.8ghz. (Thats if Prime goes stable for the next 20 or so hours)

ambient temp is 26c btw.

All those results are based on STOCK settings. This image is the one you want if you're planning on overclocking:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/...9_cpu_cooler_results_vertical_d12sh-12_OC.png

As you see, the 9900 comes in dead last. Stick with the old standby, the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or the newer Megalems if you can find them anywhere. The TRUE120 is excellent and will handle the heat of an overclocked i7 MUCH better than a Zalman 9900.

Well surprisingly my 9500 is holding up great.

With 2 hours of prime going.
Its at 3.6Ghz its averaged a temperature of 72.6c
Do you have hyperthreading enabled and are you using prime95 with more than 1 thread. This temp seems very unlikely if you were running it with all four threads. It might help if you posted a Core Temp or RealTemp screenshot of this while priming with four threads.

Back