Zalman CNPS9500 vs. Scythe Ninja Plus

DarkOrigin

n00b
Ok folks, have to make a decision here and not sure what to do where a new CPU cooler is concerned.

I just purchased the Scythe Ninja Plus, however, I didn't realize that the Ninja comes with an adhesive to be applied to the back of the mobo. Some say that ASUS boards have brackets on the back which can be used, but I'm uncertain in my case (using a P5N32-SLI Deluxe) and would prefer not to go that route.

So, I'm looking into returning it once it arrives, and replacing it with the Zalman, which I'm also partial too for three reasons: 1) you can affix it so it blows out through the exhaust fans of your case, 2) the way it's mounted it "long-wise" as opposed to having such height coming towards the side panel of your case and 3) it doesn't require a retention bracket, as it's not that heavy.

It's also all copper, which is huge plus to me.

I just bought a new full-tower case in order to fit more fans/components, because I'm running high-end components now, but the Zalman design seems more efficient all-around.

The only "drawback" I'm thinking about is the fact that (and this is in the long-term) is that the fan on the Zalman cannot be replaced should it ever die (as far as I know) as it's a part of the unit, where-as with the Ninja, since originally meant for passive cooling, you can attach a new 120mm fan to it should one ever die, which fans do.

So if the Zalman fan ever gives out, that's it... have to buy a whole new unit.

Can I get some feedback/opinions on this matter?

The Ninja Plus is arriving tommorow, I believe, and I'm looking at finally getting this build the way I need it, so I hope to get some good responses between today and tommorow. Thanks! :)

*Note: my case has a side fan that I use as an intake to further the cooling of my X1900XTX which, despite using a Zalman cooling it, could use still use a drop in temps because these new cards run really hot. The side fan on the new case is more down and to the left, which is perfect for blowing on the card.

But I will have two exhaust fans, and the fans that I'm using are, in my opinion, genius design: 80mm fans with 92mm blades (SILVERSTONE FN82) so you get 92mm airflow with less noise in an 80mm form factor! I don't know why more companies aren't making their case fans like like this.

Actually, I saw on SPCR that it is possible to mod a fan to fit onto the Zalman, but it requires carefully cutting away the fan frame in order to make it work. With some extra creativity you can even mount 120mm fans onto the Zalman. Here's a link.

Not quite sure about your first point, as you can affix a fan to the Ninja such that it blows toward the exhaust fan of the case.

Most reviews tend to rank the Ninja as the better performer, especially when compared at any given noise output.

both are good heatsinks...i use the ninja and am very happy with it.
i like the fact i can mount whatever fan i want on to it.

the zalman is also nice though, but will not perform any easier.

9500 is overppriced for what it is.

Ninja takes the cake when you take into consideration:

1) Cost
2) Build quality up to par with Zalman products
3) Ability to run completely passive (if desired)
4) Choice(s) of 120 mm fans for silence (Nexus, Yate-Loon, etc.) or performance (Delta, Sunon, etc.)

Whats the issue with the sticker-like foam part of the bracket? There is no "adhesive" to apply, it's not like it's glue or something; just a sticky side of the foam backing on the metal bracket.

Also, your first post doesn't make much sense as the ninja's fan can be mounted wherever you want it to.

In my opinion the Ninja is the better choice considering both the price and performance.

Zalman gets my vote here. Ninja is overrated... I'm not a sheep jumping on the common train :)

Ockie said:
Zalman gets my vote here. Ninja is overrated... I'm not a sheep jumping on the common train :)
It's one thing to hype a product because it's a superior product... but it's an entirely different thing to support another product because said former product is popular. :rolleyes:

Back