Zalman CNPS12X and fan direction (X79 build)

Silhouette

Limp Gawd
I've just received an Asus P9X79 WS motherboard and a CNPS12X cooler.

I want to mount the cooler horizontally with the fans blowing air out the rear of the case, but when I test fit it like that the heatsink covers the first pci-e slot.

If I flip it around the heatsink does not cover the pci-e slot, but obviously the fans blow air towards the front of the case.

Did they mount the fans the wrong way on my cooler, or is this the way the cooler is supposed to be assembled (why??) ?

I'm currently looking at solutions for removing the fans and attaching them so that they blow in the other direction.

Since I hate searching for answers to a problem and only finding somebody asking the same question, I thought I'd update this thread with some more info in case someone else is wondering about this.

I decided to flip the fans around. It was a bit of a pain to do, in particular the middle fan had me wishing that I had 3-4 hands since it is stuck between the two tower parts and I had to pry them apart. Anyway, I got the fans off, switched them around and attached them so that they blow in the opposite direction.

The cooler works, and I now have just enough space to use the first pci-e slot. Temps are low, and I don't see any disadvantages to having the fans mounted this way.

Hello
Thanks for your post
I want to buy the same cooler"zalman cnps12x" so I want to know how did you flip the fans around
for the fans on the corner you change its places but how did you flip the middle fan ?

Thank you ^_^

Since I hate searching for answers to a problem and only finding somebody asking the same question, I thought I'd update this thread with some more info in case someone else is wondering about this.

I decided to flip the fans around. It was a bit of a pain to do, in particular the middle fan had me wishing that I had 3-4 hands since it is stuck between the two tower parts and I had to pry them apart. Anyway, I got the fans off, switched them around and attached them so that they blow in the opposite direction.

The cooler works, and I now have just enough space to use the first pci-e slot. Temps are low, and I don't see any disadvantages to having the fans mounted this way.

Hello
Thanks for your post
I want to buy the same cooler"zalman cnps12x" so I want to know how did you flip the fans around
for the fans on the corner you change its places but how did you flip the middle fan ?

Thank you ^_^

Back