Zalman 9700 or the Tuniq Tower 120 Cooler?

I call BS :D

Those temps are just too low. That is not possible. I've tested probably a dozen C2D cpus and have NEVER seen anything like that.

I'm totally NOT saying you are lying, just so you hear me. I think something is wacky/wrong with your setup and the temps being given are not correct.

Those temps are just too low. That is not possible. I've tested probably a dozen C2D cpus and have NEVER seen anything like that.

I'm totally NOT saying you are lying, just so you hear me. I think something is wacky/wrong with your setup and the temps being given are not correct.

And I call BS right back at you. Don't tell me what is possible and isn't possible. Tell me what you can do with an overclock that is better than what I already accomplished. ;) I'll tell you what is wacky about my setup: I bet it is a lot faster than your setup.

I also happen to hold the [H]ardForum record for air-cooled E3400 @ 3760 MHz. That was running Orthos for 6 hours. Come back when you are at higher than 3760 and we can chat about temps and what is possible and what is not possible. :D

I've been playing Oblivion for 3 hours stopped a few minutes ago an my CPU is back to idle temps here you go

7950048_1024.ts1169448416000.jpg

Well i know the Zalam 9700 is a great buy.. im on air right now. Just changed some configurations to bios.

3.1ghz @ 44c idle im gonig to run orthos right now.

Great Heatsink but im running to memory problems.. I run orthos and it halts. tested the CPU its fine, memory not liking the numbers lol

WDN try running the CPU WorkLoad on TAT from the main window, or the WorkLoad test.

That seems to generate more heat than Orthos can.

My room temperature is normal room temperature i.e.68 degrees F. Just the same as anybody else would use, the living area of my house

GOD DAMN DUDE! 68 degrees?!?!?! thats not normal room temp, lol :eek:

I agree. I'm not saying Wdn is full of shit, but there is definitely something outside of the norm going on there. Having only seen his load temps I thought maybe he had an exceptional chip. However, after seeing his idle temps are also proportionally low, I wonder if you aren’t on to something where the temps aren’t being correctly reported. Again, I’m not trashing Wdn, far from it. He's got a great OC going, I just wonder if there is more going on there than meets the eye.

personally I think it's all very easy to accept.. some setups cool better than others.. there are many factors.. he just has a "win win win" sitch with good chip, good air movement in and through the case, good sink mount (can be key), and maybe even a 9700 which was a better yeild unit from the batches they crank out.. who knows.. but his numbers are not totally unreasonable.. just way better than average...

My room temperature is normal room temperature i.e.68 degrees F. Just the same as anybody else would use, the living area of my house

Here is the screen shot of my setup. For the moment I hold the speed record for overclocking a E6400 on air: 3760 MHz.

What mobo are you using?

Oh, and the zalman 9700 is only cooler then the tuniq when you run the fan at 3000 rpm, which is kind of cheating. If you put in a fan that runs 3000 rpm in the tuniq it would beat the pants off the zalman, so it's not really a good comparison.

How many extra fans are you running on your Air set up?

(1) 120mm Spire exhaust fan, speed controlled by Speedan
(1) 80mm Apevia intake fan, slowed to 5.5V operation by wiring a 68 ohm resistor in series.

That's it. No other case fans.

Just the other day I stuck a little 50mm Sunon fan to the Northbridge but that occurred after I posted all the overclock results. The little fan does not help me clock any faster or change the CPU temperature any, but at least the Northbridge is no longer hot to the touch. Warm, but not hot.

I agree. I'm not saying Wdn is full of shit, but there is definitely something outside of the norm going on there. Having only seen his load temps I thought maybe he had an exceptional chip. However, after seeing his idle temps are also proportionally low, I wonder if you aren’t on to something where the temps aren’t being correctly reported. Again, I’m not trashing Wdn, far from it. He's got a great OC going, I just wonder if there is more going on there than meets the eye.

How about "meticulous attention to detail" and "careful craftsmanship" for starters? ;)

That, and I know exactly what I am doing at every step of the way. No secrets, just a lot of time spent and applied knowlege. I am not holding anything back either, if you have read my posts then you know I will freely share information on all the components I use all my construction techniques, just ask away. All I ask is you be polite. :D

I am running the same temperature monitoring tools as any of you: Intel TAT, CoreTemp and just recently the new SpeedFan beta that reads actual core temps. No difference there. I take full page screen shots and paste them directly into MS Paint and save them as .jpg files. Sometimes I post them minutes after I take them. What you see is what you get because that is what I am getting when I press PrintScreen. Sure it is a cool running E6400 well look at all the other temperature readings displayed there. The motherboard and the Seagate hard drive are also running at low temps. If it was just the E6400 then that does not explain why the motherboard and the HD are all running very cool. But what does explain it is the superior airflow in in my case, the careul selection of fans and carefully tuned speeds. I wonder how many of you spent and hour or more mounting your heatsing/fan to the CPU for example? How much thermal paste do you have goobed on there when it should be a microscopically thin layer? I wonder how many of you have 5 or more case fans because you think more is better, when all they are doing is creating turbulent air and more heat? For case fans I have (1) 120mm exhaust fan and (1) 80mm intake fan, and the intake fan is slowed to 5.5V operation.

If I posted it at 2am like the recent screen shot it means my home heating thermostat is turned down to 63F. During the day it is 68F. That is the ambient temperature range of my home: 63F-68F. My typical daytime core temps at idle are 26-33C. If I lived in Calcutta my ambient temp would be 110 degrees F. :D

My philosophy of cooling is a bit different from some folks I guess. I don't have half a dozen case fans blowing in all different directions. I don't have a 750W or 1kW power supply that is 70% efficient so it is adding 300 watts of heat to my case. I sure as heck don't believe in throwing money at the problem: My entire build was under $900 and the case and power supply were "free after rebate" I got a nice E6400 that will take the volts but there is a lot more to this than "luck". I have to pump more volts into mine than some of you do to get the same overclock MHz so don't think I have the "best" E6400 chip on this forum, I do however "for the moment" have the fastest air cooled E6400. My first overclock posted here was only 2800 MHz.

See, I have a Zalman 9500 on my Opteron 170 @ 2.78Ghz. My room temp is around 68F at the moment, and the Zalman 9500 fan is at full speed. My core temp while running two instances or prime 95 for the past 24 hours is 57C. That's not much better, if any, than the stock AMD cooler that came with my opteron.

Is a TT120 or Zalman 9700 really that much better? I can't see a 9700 being *that* much better than a 9500, but the TT120 is huge...

thanks for the contributers of this thread. i will be keeping up with this as soon as i get my zalman 9700 in

wow good thread!

I've been trying to debate if I should upgrade my Zalmn 7700cu to either a TT120 or 9700.

i purchased the Tuniq120 today from Petra's to replace my watercooling. hopefully i won't be disappointed.

Back