Zacate enough/possible for HTPC?

Nightbird

[H]ard|Gawd
I was thinking about building a HTPC for my parents, and they only browse the web, view internet video (Netflix), email, video chat, and some word processing and such. (no games, not even flash ones)

I just have two questions.

1. Is Zacate enough for the above tasks? (1080P capability a must, they have a nice 61'' 1080P TV)

2. Will it be available for custom builds (rather than pre-assembled nettops and notebooks)? (In addition to picking the perfect case, I want to be able to include an SSD, custom HS, and most importantly a motherboard that include decent audio outputs and DVI/HDMI output, this is an [H] build after all.)

Anyone else thinking about such a setup?

Thanks for any and all answers.

I have my eye on Zacate myself, but as far as I know no one has published anything on it's media capabilities. I have seen simple encode/decode benches but no CPU utilization while playing BD disks or any of that.

Last edited:
Ah, that is a very good thread with lots of info. It looks as if mini-ITX motherboards are in development for Zacate. I hope price will match the HTPC market though, i.e. reasonable compared to SFF mITX MBs.
Be sure to check out the additional info i edited into my original post.

Be sure to check out the additional info i edited into my original post.

There's a lot of good information in there, and I haven't thought about tv recording and blu-ray. It's still in the planning stage, and for good reason it seems. Thanks so much :D

AMD would have to be dumb beyond belief to throw away HTPC capability by not having some kind of UVD onboard.

The big question tho is the one asking if it will come with 7.1 LPCM. Without it you would be limited to Dolby Digital for multichannel.

Back