z97 is it worth waiting for it?

I don't know if the platform itself will be much worth waiting for but devils canyon probably is unless they are overpriced.

Eh, if you're judging it purely based on m.2, probably not. There are no bench right now so it's really to early to tell here.

I say no. It's basically adding features to Z87, not anything game-changing or groundbreaking.

But will Devil's Canyon be similarly priced to Haswell? Probably not :(
They will keep Haswell priced as it is and charge more for the refresh (soldered?) gen4s, I'm sure. So there will be no reason to upgrade unless you never got around to delidding maybe? It does seem to me the yields on Haswell improved of late (I kept trying for a good chip and selling my old one as an experiment in combining shopping with gambling--it works on monitors too). So if you had a bum Haswell this might be the ticket.

I'm interested in M.2 for laptops and Ultrabooks, but I'm wanting SATAexpress for desktops. I hope Z97 incorporates it.

I'm not the brightest star in the sky... but what's the point of this bracket from the upcoming z97 XPOWER AC flagship board?
MSI-Z97-XPOWER-AC-Delid-Die-Guard_zps20ecd102.png~original

I thought cracking dies was old news and this doesn't lift the socket up or anything... you still have to adjust your backplate mount. Gimmick?

It creates a flat mounting plane for the HSF. Protects the die from damage and lets the HSF make flat, even contact for better cooling performance.

Additionally, the stock socket retention mechanism clamps onto the ihs itself, so if you're trying to run a waterblock directly on the die, you have to remove the stock retention bracket. This leaves the waterblock as the only thing actually holding the cpu in the socket. This is just a more secure way to hold the cpu in place in that situation.

Back