z87 motherboard Asus vs Asrock

hywdx80

Gawd
Which Motherboard does the [H] user recommend. Looking for the best performance and over clock. Budget >$250 for a motherboard.

Useful sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmUWGmuf2VsWdDc3S0g5NmptaENvNGs5ajNPa0c0RXc&output=html

Useful benchmark:
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?page=0&itemid=1007

ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO $229.99 + i7 4770k = $526.78 (Looks, probably use a discrete sound card though)
ASUS Sabertooth Z87 + i7 4770k = $529.98 (5 yr warranty)
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Combo + i7 4770k = $423.98 (12 phase)
ASUS Z87-A + i7 4770k = $413.38

I guess you can't go with mATX? The Maximus Gene line is so nice. Since you're considering a Hero you don't seem interested in multiple GPU's correct? Any Asus board over $180 with VRM coolers preinstalled will OC the way you want them to. The higher up you go the more exotic monitoring and other features (wireless) you get.

Of the choice's listed, the hero impresses me the most. But to be honest, gigabyte's and msi's z87 motherboards are the ones I would go with.

I personally like the ASUS Hero. It omits most of the useless add-ons other OC centric boards have. My only gripe is that it only has an HDMI port.

I just ordered the Gigabyte Z87X-OC for under $200 delivered. Best price I could find.

I also considered the MSI Z87 Mpower MAX and the Asus ROG Z87 VI Hero.

Chose the Z87X-OC mainly because its supposed to be designed for maximum over clocking and has received some good reviews and I have seen some nice over clocks from it.

I like the many features of the Mpower MAx and the massive 20 Phase VRM power design and I like the VI HEro vRM design and build quality along with the nice audio for gaming and other network features. These boards offer alot for the money.

It was a hard choice and I went with the bare bones of the group because its strength is supposed to be over clocking.

My first Gigabyte MB.

I really am not certain about building a haswell RIG but I've had fun with IB and now I want to see what HW has. From what I have seen Haswell sucks.

Good luck.

Back