Z87 Integrated Graphics Multi Monitor Support

RevMen

Limp Gawd
I'm having trouble finding clear information about this, so I'm hoping someone here knows what's up.

I have 3 Dell Ultrasharp 2007fp monitors, which are 1600 x 1200 resolution. The only digital input they have is DVI-D. Currently they're all hooked up to a Radeon 5850, one using an active DisplayPort -> DVI adapter.

I would like to replace my aging mobo/processor/memory/video card with a Z87 board. It would be ideal if the onboard graphics supported my 3-monitor scheme. This is not for gaming, only for having an extended desktop, so performance isn't a big deal.

First question: Can I do what I want to do? I don't understand how the Thunderbolt video works and if I can connect 1 or more 1600x1200 monitors to a port. Although many of the mobo descriptions tell me they support 3 monitors, and list the different video ports, I haven't seen anything telling me how those ports can be combined to create a 3-monitor setup.

Second question: Are some motherboards better for this than others?

I see that the MSI Z87 MPower supports triple displays with HDMI+HDMI+DisplayPort. This seems promising, as I know that converting from HDMI to DVI isn't that big of a deal, and I already have the DisplayPort to DVI adapter.

In the recent past I had my eye on the ASUS Z87-Deluxe, which claims to support 3 monitors through an HDMI port and a Mini DisplayPort port. Can this board get me where I want to be.

Any guidance will be sincerely appreciated.

Back