Z77 Sabertooth...or...P67 Maximus board?

Vantec89

Weaksauce
I am in the process of gathering parts to build a machine for my 2700k. I am stuck deciding what motherboard I should go with. I have always been a big fan of the ROG boards...however, they are quite pricey! So, the only way I would be able to afford one is by going with an older chipset. This is where the Sabertooth jumps in...newer Z77 chipset for a cheaper price than the Maximus board.

What are everyone else's thoughts on these boards compared? Would I be stupid going with the older chipset just because I enjoy the ROG boards?

Sabertooth:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

Maximus:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700

DejaWiz

Oracle of Unfortunate Truths
Sabertooth Z77. Better components, longer warranty, and, as you said, better price over Z77 RoG.

Unless you're building uATX and want the newest Gene-Z which is a little less expensive, I see no tangible reason to get an older chipset over the Z77 ST.

Seireitei

Weaksauce
I personally would go with the z77 sabertooth. That's what I'm getting if the ivy bridge OC better than sandy brige. I owned the x79 sabertooth and 990fx sabertooth. Both of them are awesome.

Vantec89

Weaksauce
I suppose it would be better to have the Z77 that way I have the option to go to Ivy Bridge if needed.

DejaWiz

Oracle of Unfortunate Truths
lol! you compare high end (ROG) mobo with mid range "workstation" like offer? :D

Without a single doubt Maximus Extreme.
What's the warranty length on each?

I'll go right ahead and answer this for you: 3 years for RoG, 5 years for ST. ST is using military spec/grade components whereas RoG is not. Hence, the better warranty for the ST.

Between the old P67 RoG and the new Z77 ST, I will always recommend the ST. It's almost a no-brainer to answer the question posed in this thread title.

thesecond

[H]ard|Gawd
lol! you compare high end (ROG) mobo with mid range "workstation" like offer? :D

Without a single doubt Maximus Extreme.
uh. Asus' workstation boards are their highest end. And the sabertooth is built with durability in mind above all else. :rolleyes:

psyside

2[H]4U
What is better the vrm/power delivery? the caps? the mofsets? the cooling? :rolleyes:

Ye ofcoruse they are better quality, and they are cheaper also!....good logic, now go back to learning!