Z690 chipset not seeing PCIE rev3.0 4x cards.

Rasdin

n00b
Has anyone been able to get the PCIE 5.0 slots to work with PCIE 3.0 cards?
MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5
Also Tried a MSI Edge Z690 wifi ddr4

Having a hard time getting a PCIE rev3.0 4x card to be seen in any of the slots.
Tried many bios settings Setting to gen 3.0 including M.2 to Gen 3.
Tried with 2.5" booting and no M.2
Tried windows 10 and 11 fully updated.
Tried different powersupplies.
Tried on a MSI Z690 Echo Wifi ddr4 and also no luck.
Tried all verisons of the bios. ( now on the 22 version that came out this week )
Tried 3 different PCIE rev3.0 4x cards. ( Tried PCIE rev2.0 2x card too )
Tried nvme blue 512gb only drive in the system, nvme blue 1000gb only drive in the system, nvme 1000 black 850 nvme onlydrive in the system, tried blue 1000 gb 2.5" only drive in the system, tried with windows 11 and 10 pro.

Current system, i9 12900k running default bios settings, 32gb ddr corsair ram ( 2x16) Seasonic Focus GX 750, NVME 850 1tb wd in the top m.2 slot, and a 1000gb blue nvme in m.2 slot 4
The PCIE rev3.0 4x cards are asmedia 3142 dual USB 3.1 cards last one being a startech PEXUSB312C3 and two others one being PCIE 3.0 2x slot and the other PCIE 3.0 4x slot two with sata power connected, tried in all 3 PCIE 1x16x and both 8x slots ( no video card, using onboard )

Any ideas?

Also I have a Intel wifi 6 ax200 pcie 1 card. It works perfectly in the Pcie 1x slot. But cant be seen in any of the other slots.
Two different motherboards, two different OS, two different PS, Two different kinds of ram ( ddr4 and ddr5 ) No overclocking. all 3 bios versions tested.

Thank you.

1643318884489.png

^^ from the manual. should work in that center x4(that looks like x16). seems very limited...
your m.2 drives might be eating the other lanes? not sure, manual doesnt say anything about lanes...

Hi Pendragon1, I know what you mean about lacking information. I tried all the slots and I removed the m.2 ssds from the system and booted from a 2.5" ssd. I contacted MSI, they said rma the board. Which I did within the first week so DOA policy, they gave a new board factory sealed. It did the exact same thing. These were the MSI Edge z690 wifi boards DDR 4. The only slot I can get to work is that PCIE 3.0 x1 slot. Changed to the MSI Pro z690-A DDR5 board ( I cant believe they use the same part number for both ddr4 and ddr5 boards ) and this board does exactly the same thing.

The cards get power, you can see the LEDs on the board. If you plug in a USB stick it turns on. However, there is nothing, zero in the device manager, under hidden or other or anywhere. The driver software says the card is not installed in the system.

The only thing left to do is assign blame ( Big Bang Theory )

Have you taken the usb and wifi cards out and seen if everything works fine?
Yes there are no cards in the system. Everything is very fast. Works great. I want to add one card. one card only... and no luck unless it is in the pcie1.0 slot. ( the card i want to add is a pcie 3.0 4x card. )

Have you forced the slot to run at the slower speed? Some cards don't negotiate properly and they don't turn up as a result.
I tried in the bios to set the PCIE to GEN3 and there was no difference... I will try GEN1 and GEN 2 on Monday.
Do you know of another setting to try?

I tried in the bios to set the PCIE to GEN3 and there was no difference... I will try GEN1 and GEN 2 on Monday.
Do you know of another setting to try?
If there is a PCIE power down option you could try that. It is possible the card is just bad or incompatible with z690 for some reason.

^^ that. you have confirmed it works correctly in another older system right?

^^ that. you have confirmed it works correctly in another older system right?
Yes all the cards worked in the intel 6th gen system perfectly fine.
I will build a 10th gen system...I think it is a z570 or z590 board. I will let you know how that works. It is a PCIE 4thgen I believe

Last edited:
If there is a PCIE power down option you could try that. It is possible the card is just bad or incompatible with z690 for some reason.
I am not quite sure what PCIE power down means. I will look into this and try it on Monday. I know that the power setting for the PCIE slots are set to be fully powered in the bios. or power management is disabled.

I am not quite sure what PCIE power down means. I will look into this and try it on Monday. I know that the power setting for the PCIE slots are set to be fully powered in the bios. or power management is disabled.
sorry I had a brain fart, I mean option to run the pcie slot at lower speeds.

sorry I had a brain fart, I mean option to run the pcie slot at lower speeds.
THere is a spot in the bios where you can select GEN1 through GEN5. I have tried 1 and 3 and 5 with no luck.
I tried setting the power management of the slots to AUTO ( normally it is disabled, which I believe it full power all the time )
I tried setting the M.2 slot to GEN1 as well.

No luck.

Small update. A MSI Z590 Gaming Plus Motherboard with a i5 10th gen cpu. The PCIE 3.0 cards work perfectly on this motherboard.
I also installed a 3060GTX on the Z690 motherboard and it worked in all the slots. I also tried the 3060 card with the PCIE 3.0 4x card in a different slot and no luck in that combo either.

Does anyone else have a Z690 chipset with a PCIE 3.0 4x card working and if so, which motherboard?

Looks like

Small update. A MSI Z590 Gaming Plus Motherboard with a i5 10th gen cpu. The PCIE 3.0 cards work perfectly on this motherboard.
I also installed a 3060GTX on the Z690 motherboard and it worked in all the slots. I also tried the 3060 card with the PCIE 3.0 4x card in a different slot and no luck in that combo either.

Does anyone else have a Z690 chipset with a PCIE 3.0 4x card working and if so, which motherboard?

Looks like
I have a Gigabyte z690 Gaming ddr4 board. Pcie 3x4 work no problem and I have multiple.

After reading all this it seems like a rma may be in order. Seems like a board issue.

I have a Gigabyte z690 Gaming ddr4 board. Pcie 3x4 work no problem and I have multiple.

After reading all this it seems like a rma may be in order. Seems like a board issue.
hes tried two boards, same issue BUT both were msi, so maybe its their issue....

I
hes tried two boards, same issue BUT both were msi, so maybe its their issue....
I think you are right. Tried 3 boards all MSI. Sigh... wait for a bios or return and start with a gigabyte board...

Thank you for the help.
Decisions.. Decisions..

I

I think you are right. Tried 3 boards all MSI. Sigh... wait for a bios or return and start with a gigabyte board...

Thank you for the help.
Decisions.. Decisions..
have you talked to msi yet?

I opened a ticket with MSI, and spoke with their tech person. He said send it back for warranty. ( this was the edge ddr 4 board ) So I ordered another one before sending it back. Swapped it out and the new one was exactly the same. So, I sent back the RMA board back. I live in canada, we have a courier called Purolator. Purolator fired anyone who did not have their vaxxine shots. Soo, the jerk driver that came to pick it up was being let go that day. He picked a fight with the staff at the store, used all kinds of swear words, and then I believe started switching the labels on the boxes he was delivering. Soo, in the end my return did not get returned to the right place and I am now out that board for costs.

So, I sold that 2nd board, and ordered that ddr 5 version. Still the same thing.
I am going to drive back this MSI and exchange it for a working DDR 5 motherboard that PCIE 3.0 cards work on. I believe they have a gigabyte board that they will exchange with me.

The last time I sent motherboards back were when Intel messed up the 820 chipset with RD ram. or was it the sd ram version.... one of those...

I have an Edge DDR4 board with a GPU and soundcard installed, works just fine for me but none of those are PCIe 3.0 x4 afaik so that does not help you much.

Somehow I don't think that you throwing money at it is going to do you much good unless you are getting new PCIe cards, might be cheaper.

1644352272078.png

I tried to get a Gigabyte board. They did not have any instock with ddr5 support. So I exchanged the MSI for a ASUS board. A Prime z690-P WIFI version. I also installed the latest bios.
I plugged in all 3 PCIE cards. All 3 cards are new, ordered within the last month. 2 are no name brands and one is a Startech PEXUSB312C3 ( all cards are instantly seen and working in a 10thgen i5 motherboard )

So the interesting part. If you notice in the above picture, it is showing a x2 in the slot that has a card plugged into it. The startech is a gen 3 card as it is capable of 10Gbps.

Now I tried setting the slot to GEN3 and it still showed x2 If I take the card out, it shows Not Present. I set every bios setting to GEN2 even the M.2 settings just to see if I could get it to go.

I tried installing windows 11 fresh single nvme ssd, fully uptodate, and all drivers latest.

I tried messing around with other bios settings in the power area, and the cards do not show up under device manager.

I would like to have a ASmedia ASM3142 USB 3.1 card to run in this system. IF anyone has a suggestion to a newer version or one that works it would be great to know. I am running a Deepspar data recovery USB device that works best with that kind of USB controller..

The bios settings above are default.

BTW, thank you for all the feedback.

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have almost the exact same problem on an ASUS Prime Z690-P D4.

I have a PCIe x4 Datapath capture card that is physically only x4 and it only will show up in Windows when slotted in the Gen5 x16 slot (managed by the CPU.) If I use any of Gen4/3 slots I can see it auto-detected in the BIOS like your screenshot but it's non-existent in Windows. No errors, just nothing in Device Management. I have an older ASUS Z87-A that's got Gen3 slots and it works fine on all of them, so I know the card is good.

I have an open ticket with ASUS about it. I saw a thread relating to Dell on z690 platform that had the same thing and it took a BIOS update for x4 cards to show.

I also have an older HD7450 video card that is physically x16 and it negotiates down to x4 and works fine in Windows.

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have almost the exact same problem on an ASUS Prime Z690-P D4.

I have a PCIe x4 Datapath capture card that is physically only x4 and it only will show up in Windows when slotted in the Gen5 x16 slot (managed by the CPU.) If I use any of Gen4/3 slots I can see it auto-detected in the BIOS like your screenshot but it's non-existent in Windows. No errors, just nothing in Device Management. I have an older ASUS Z87-A that's got Gen3 slots and it works fine on all of them, so I know the card is good.

I have an open ticket with ASUS about it. I saw a thread relating to Dell on z690 platform that had the same thing and it took a BIOS update for x4 cards to show.

I also have an older HD7450 video card that is physically x16 and it negotiates down to x4 and works fine in Windows.
I do have the same problem with two different computers and cards so far :
- Mobo Asus Rog Strix Z690-E gaming wifi - Card : Startech PEXUSB312EIC and PEXUSB312A1C1H - both not working.
- Mobo Asus PRIME B660M-A WIFI D4 - Card : Startech PEXUSB312EIC and PEXUSB312A1C1H - both not working.

Tried both cards in my old setup rig Mobo Asus Prim B250M-Plus and had no problems with both cards.

Both cards are being seen at 2x in all the computers in the bios.

I also tried to downgrade to 1-2-3-4th gen for the slots and everything said here, even tried disabling the AVX512 instructions.

Bios are all up to date.

All other people in forums are having the same isues but there seems to be no solutions yet.

- Mobo Asus Rog Strix Z690-E gaming wifi - Card : Startech PEXUSB312EIC and PEXUSB312A1C1H - both not working.
- Mobo Asus PRIME B660M-A WIFI D4 - Card : Startech PEXUSB312EIC and PEXUSB312A1C1H - both not working.

Tried both cards in my old setup rig Mobo Asus Prim B250M-Plus and had no problems with both cards.

I also tried to downgrade to 1-2-3-4th gen for the slots and everything said here, even tried disabling the AVX512 instructions.

Bios are all up to date.

All other people in forums are having the same isues but there seems to be no solutions yet.
If you go onboard graphics and use the Gen 5 slot for the card(s) do they work like in my scenario? This seems to be mixed for some folks.

Also odd that they negotiate as x2 in your case, those look like x4 physically?

It also doesn't seem to matter the brand, it's like there's something about the chipset that wasn't documented right?

I scrounged my work office and found a x1, x8 and another x16 card and those all worked fine in any of the PCIe slots. But I'm having a harder time sourcing another x4 card to try with.

I tried to get a Gigabyte board. They did not have any instock with ddr5 support. So I exchanged the MSI for a ASUS board. A Prime z690-P WIFI version. I also installed the latest bios.
I plugged in all 3 PCIE cards. All 3 cards are new, ordered within the last month. 2 are no name brands and one is a Startech PEXUSB312C3 ( all cards are instantly seen and working in a 10thgen i5 motherboard )

So the interesting part. If you notice in the above picture, it is showing a x2 in the slot that has a card plugged into it. The startech is a gen 3 card as it is capable of 10Gbps.

Now I tried setting the slot to GEN3 and it still showed x2 If I take the card out, it shows Not Present. I set every bios setting to GEN2 even the M.2 settings just to see if I could get it to go.

I tried installing windows 11 fresh single nvme ssd, fully uptodate, and all drivers latest.

I tried messing around with other bios settings in the power area, and the cards do not show up under device manager.

I would like to have a ASmedia ASM3142 USB 3.1 card to run in this system. IF anyone has a suggestion to a newer version or one that works it would be great to know. I am running a Deepspar data recovery USB device that works best with that kind of USB controller..

The bios settings above are default.

BTW, thank you for all the feedback.

Bios are all up to date.

Asus wants me to send my capture card to R&D; however, it's taken me over a year to finally get one of those Datapath cards so I opted to order a basic USB-C x4 PCIE card off eBay to test with (ASMedia ASM2142 USB 3.1 xHCI Controller).

Sure enough, it's the same behaviour where BIOS negotiates x2 (physical x4), doesn't exist in Windows. Older platform works just fine both negotate x2, works in Windows with built-in drivers. Looking at the card the last section of pins just goes to a ground plane hence the x2.

In the Gen5 slot it BSODs but I think it's because it's conflicting with the NVMe drive under the CPU lanes which I suspect is just a red herring. In the working Gen5 slot, hwinfo shows the Datapath card as a PCI-X bridge so I thought maybe that was part of it but the USB-C card has none of that and still has the same problem.

I couldn't care less about that card so I may send them that one, I think they still believe it's just a mobo RMA but there are way too many coincidences online of this and I think that would be a waste of money/time for all.

If you go onboard graphics and use the Gen 5 slot for the card(s) do they work like in my scenario? This seems to be mixed for some folks.

It also doesn't seem to matter the brand, it's like there's something about the chipset that wasn't documented right?

I scrounged my work office and found a x1, x8 and another x16 card and those all worked fine in any of the PCIe slots. But I'm having a harder time sourcing another x4 card to try with.
HEy thanks for the reply.
I tried a couple things but still nothing went ok for both the usb cards (models were wrong in my descrption on the problem but both are Startech PEXUSB312EIC/ASM1142 chipset and PEXUSB312A1C1H/ASM3142 chipset.
I tested :
1 - Remove the dedicated graphc card completly, try both cards in all slots = just showing as 2x in the bios. Also tested different sata power cords = idem.
2 - Added a TP-Link TG-3468 gigabit network card which has a Realtek 8168 chipset and it works fine.
3 - Put back the Graphic card and kept both USB and Network card = still can't see the USB card.
4 - Insalled the chipset drivers for the usb card and it ends with the message "The Asmedia USB Host Controler was not found" (DUH!)
I also updated the bios to the latest relase just in case = same think.

Hi MKLKT,
The cards won't work in either slots (Gen5 which is joined to the CPU and not the Chipset).
The ASM3142 chipset used for one of the cards is "only" 2x according to specs here : https://www.asmedia.com.tw/product/55AYQ83xg4uy6Uj0/0C8YQ4asx4yt2JR4/3142 but is does show 4x in a different page in the bios ;-)
About the chipset, the cards are different and the chipset also but both are Asmedia ASM1142 and ASM3142.
As I mentioned in the previous reply, the Network card from TPlink and Realtek works fine ... in all slots.

Hi MKLKT,
The cards won't work in either slots (Gen5 which is joined to the CPU and not the Chipset).
The ASM3142 chipset used for one of the cards is "only" 2x according to specs here : https://www.asmedia.com.tw/product/55AYQ83xg4uy6Uj0/0C8YQ4asx4yt2JR4/3142 but is does show 4x in a different page in the bios ;-)
About the chipset, the cards are different and the chipset also but both are Asmedia ASM1142 and ASM3142.
As I mentioned in the previous reply, the Network card from TPlink and Realtek works fine ... in all slots.

Interesting (and annoying!)

I'm still waiting for a reply from the Asus rep, he was away and then a couple of follow-ups went unanswered so I've tried again.

One other quirk I noticed if the card(s) are installed in the older slots the POST also takes slightly longer, it's not dramatic but you can definitely feel that it's thinking about it a touch more. From that point it's in the BIOS list but never in Windows. POST when my non-USB card is in the Gen5 is quick again (even with 2 GPUs in the lower x4 slots, but them being there has no effect.)

I dont have any extra information. I am waiting for rep from the asus rep too. Since the beginning.

Nothing has changed from what I wrote above, even after several new bios updates.

i ran into some z690 goofiness today, not exactly your problem though but it adds to the fact that the z690 is glitchy. building a couple systems w/12900kf/strix z690-f gaming wifi/32GB fury DDR5-5200/tuf 3070ti and neither would boot with the gpus. i had to put an old 8400gs(pcie 1.0!!) in to get them to post. once i got them into bios, i changed what i though was the primary slots speed to 3.0 and put the gpu back in and it posted. went back into bios and it shows the slot i changed was empty. so i changed back and its still running fine. out of box neither would post with the 3070tis until i put that old ass 8400gs in.....

I dont have any extra information. I am waiting for rep from the asus rep too. Since the beginning.

Nothing has changed from what I wrote above, even after several new bios updates.
I did get a little more back and forth, but looks like they're just going with "the card is incompatible". No specifics given even though there are clearly multiple cards from different people. I just suspect that x4 cards are uncommon so it doesn't come up enough and we're not a big enough use case to bother with. Super weird, BIOS/HWInfo can see the cards sort of, but there's just one step missing before Windows and I don't know what it is.

Hopefully this doesn't count as a necro, but I just had the same problem with:

NZXT (ASRock) Z690 N5 / DDR4 / 12900K

Card: Delock 89064
Chipsets: ASM3142, VL822

My card also doesn't work in the PCIe16_1 slot, regardless of it's link speed setting (some people reported only the CPU-linked first slot has their troublesome cards working).

Contacted Delock, they ask to set PCIe gen speeds lower, but this doesn't work (as stated previously).
Contacted NZXT, they'll check it out internally, to see if there's a bug with Z690 and said cards, cards' chipsets, cards' interface speeds and gen, etc.

Same card works fine on a AM4 B450, other (x2) cards work fine in the Z690 board. It really either is either down to a bug with the PCIe gen/link speed, or the specific chipset (ASM3142 perhaps?)

Related Reddit thread (no news): https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/u0mq5d/msi_z690_no_recognition_of_any_pcie_30_x4_card_in/

Last edited:
Hopefully this doesn't count as a necro, but I just had the same problem with:

NZXT (ASRock) Z690 N5 / DDR4 / 12900K

Card: Delock 89064
Chipsets: ASM3142, VL822

My card also doesn't work in the PCIe16_1 slot, regardless of it's link speed setting (some people reported only the CPU-linked first slot has their troublesome cards working).

Contacted Delock, they ask to set PCIe gen speeds lower, but this doesn't work (as stated previously).
Contacted NZXT, they'll check it out internally, to see if there's a bug with Z690 and said cards, cards' chipsets, cards' interface speeds and gen, etc.

Same card works fine on a AM4 B450, other (x2) cards work fine in the Z690 board. It really either is either down to a bug with the PCIe gen/link speed, or the specific chipset (ASM3142 perhaps?)

Related Reddit thread (no news): https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/u0mq5d/msi_z690_no_recognition_of_any_pcie_30_x4_card_in/
not much of a necro, not around here anyways...
https://hardforum.com/threads/nooner.1169381/page-2#post-1044644086

i ran into this same prob(a couple posts up) but was able to get it going using are reeaaaallly old card, seemed to snap it out of the glitch.
btw, welcome to [H]!

not much of a necro, not around here anyways...
https://hardforum.com/threads/nooner.1169381/page-2#post-1044644086

i ran into this same prob(a couple posts up) but was able to get it going using are reeaaaallly old card, seemed to snap it out of the glitch.
btw, welcome to [H]!
Hiya, thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking since forever, even registered in 2018 ;)

I can't follow the link. says no permission.

So you fixed the problem in the sense that the x4 card will run in a preferred slot now, by using another card temporarily? If so, that's wild.

Hiya, thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking since forever, even registered in 2018 ;)

I can't follow the link. says no permission.

So you fixed the problem in the sense that the x4 card will run in a preferred slot now, by using another card temporarily? If so, that's wild.
ah i see.
whoops, its under genmay, the paid section. its my top 10 necro list, you need to a 15+yr necro to make the list.
double whoops, i misread your post a bit... mine was not seeing 5th gen cards and a 1st gen snapped it out of it.

Back