Z68X-UD3-B3 hwmonitor issue after S3 resume ..after UEFI bios update

atarione

2[H]4U
hey anyone with either this mb or a similar Gigabyte Z68 based mb who has applied the new UEFI bios update U1E (in my case) notice weirdness with both HWmonitor and Open hardware monitor when resuming from S3 since applying the UEFI bios.

what is happening is i'm losing the individual CPU core reports in both programs and once in realtemp i was only getting two cores temp readings (until closing program and restarting) closing HWmonitor or Open Hardware Monitor doesn't help on get info pictured below until restarted.

getting sort of annoyed by the UEFI bios .... getting tempted to try the russian program that can blind flash it be to award bios. Pretty half baked effort on gigabytes part IMHO... they really shouldn't have made this non beta before they had the UEFI bios for this board more fully baked i think.

screen shot

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wow... so that was a disaster

i just used gigabyte's tool (google for it if needed) efi2awd to yes you guessed it

go back from the UEFI U1E bios to Award bios.

in addition to the other strangeness coming out of S3 i discovered more massive difficulties (thanx gigabyte for making me was a couple hours reformatting trying to see if i could make the UEFI bios not BSOD my pc.)

anyways blah blah blah i've had my i5-2500K / Z68X-UD3-B3 for awhile now... (can't remember but about april last year I think) I has been rock stable @ 4.3Ghz since i got it..until applied the U1E (UEFI) bios... started freezing / BSOD'ing reverted to stock settings still bsod'ing and cold boot looping... YAY!

I'm hesitant to hoist a mission accomplished banner but i have been able to resume without openmonitor freaking out and so far other testing suggest that hopefully flashing back to F13 will result in having a stable pc rather than a massive cluster of bsod b$.

sooooo.... I'm not sure but if you have a gigabyte board w/ award bios that has one of these UEFI bios just released you might wanna hold up .... at least for me it was a complete cluster f***

I am happy that the EFI2AWD tool can be found however (can't use qflash or whatever to go back to award from UEFI)

if these thing starts crashing again ....I'm getting a new board ... and not from Gigabyte ..I'm not at all happy w/ them for release that craptastic UEFI bios update ...meh.

Yeah, while I really liked the quick boot time and the interface of the UEFI BIOS, it just wasn't ready for prime time in any way shape or form.

On my GA-Z68XP-UD3 I couldn't even overclock with the U1G UEFI BIOS... settings just had no effect on clock speed. It was stupid...

Lol I updated my Z68XP-UD3P to the UEFI BIOS and I can't adjust my multiplier at all so I'm stuck at default 2500k speeds. I also can't adjust voltages so my RAM is unstable because I'm running 4 sticks and I need to bump the QPI/VTT voltage and can't.

here is a link to the gigabyte tool to go back to Award bios... they seem to have really been tooooo hasty making these UEFI bios available as non beta.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios-634.html (there is a link to d/l from there you need a bootable flash drive (same as you needed for the UEFI flash really) to run it.

maybe if they update these (and if i see others having greater success) i will try to UEFI again ..but for now running F13 w/ stuff actually working.

I have thie motherboard Z68X-UD3-B3 with old bios F13 and check hardware monitor see Core #1 and Core #2 and Package core.
Then I have update the bios using flashefi to U1e and restart my system.
Check my hardware monitor, there is no problem.
Please check the latest hardware monitor version to check.
Please do load optimized the bios after flash to UEFI bios.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Just flashed back to the F12 award BIOS with the EFI2AWD tool, on my Z68X-UD3H-B3. Yes, working with the UEFI bios was a nightmare. Half the time I wasn't even able to access the bios, and would constantly have to clear the CMOS to get back in. It would just freeze with my mouse cursor sitting on a blue screen. I had reflashed the UEFI another time, just to make certain I didn't get a corrupted flash on the first attempt.

I'm not certain why Gigabyte released this when it didn't have most of the overclocking features the previous Award BIOS's had. It was definitely unstable for me, even at stock clocks.

I was unimpressed with the UI for it, too. I felt it added little to nothing over what you could do with a regular BIOS. Screen Shot support was a nice touch, but that's the only real plus I could find about it. I understand it included support for 3+ TB HDD's, but am having trouble understanding why that couldn't be coded for in a normal BIOS.

Taking out LLC and other important voltage options pretty much made overclocking an impossibility for me. My chip isn't the greatest and it took a while for me to fine tune my CPU to run stable @ 4.3GHz in the Award BIOS.

Lastly, Windows 7 wen't psycho when I flashed to the UEFI and wanted me to reactivate. I eventually had to format and reinstall the OS, because of all the issues that were creeping up. Luckily going back to the Award BIOS hasn't caused the same issues.

If you're contemplating flashing to the UEFI on your Z68 Gigabyte board, I personally wouldn't recommend it. Perhaps if they get the bugs worked out and allow for the same amount of tweaking options that were in the original BIOS's, then I may give it another shot in an update (if they make one).

Shame on Gigabyte too, not to release that software to go back to the Award bios if you didn't find the UEFI up to snuff. That utility still hasn't been officially released by Gigabyte themselves (As far as I'm aware), but was uploaded by a user on tweaktown forums. Before that utility, you had to blind flash from within Windows. Very disappointed about that move.

Back