Z68 Motherboards HDMI port support audio?

Retsam

2[H]4U
Question. I am trying to make it so audio is output through HDMI port on the motherboard. I am using integrated HD-3000 graphics(temporarily till my video card arrives). I know my motherboard (Asus P8Z68-V LX) supports up to 1.4a HDMI from the port, as it says so in the manual. Wouldnt this mean it supports audio as well? I get no audio output through the hdmi port when I switch to my tv.

What would you have to connect on the motherboard to get audio output? Do they really expect you to have to run audio cables from the sound card ports to tv to get audio? With an actual video card, the HDMI port would output audio. Seems like this defeats the purpose of having an hdmi port on the motherboard if it doesnt also output the audio...

Did you check your Playback devices in the Sound section of your control panel?

Yes I did. It does not list any other devices except my Audigy zs platinum sound card. When I have a video card installed and I output through hdmi port, it lists that HDMI output device and audio goes through video card fine....but with the motherboard stuff, it doesnt.

Does it list a device on yours with an hdmi cable plugged in and while output to a tv?

I'm actually not sure then. Have you tried downloading the new video drivers? (Might include hdmi drivers?) Because there was a new one that was released on the 20th of this month.

Since I use a sound card and not the onboard sound on the motherboard, that might be why. I have onboard sound disabled in bios. Seems like a flaw in design though if thats the case. I dont want to have to uninstall my sound card just to test that though.

You can have the onboard audio enabled without having to remove your sound card. But that makes me question why you have a sound card while trying to use the onboard audio.

You can have the onboard audio enabled without having to remove your sound card. But that makes me question why you have a sound card while trying to use the onboard audio.

Huh? Im not trying to use onboard audio, Im just trying to have audio output through hdmi port when I switch to my tv.

Anyways, I am going to assume the audio doesnt work through hdmi because I turned off the onboard audio in bios. I thought it would conflict with a sound card.

Last edited:
Onboard sound is the only sound you could possibly get through the onboard HDMI port. ATI cards provide sound through HDMI port by having a soundcard on the videocard. Last time I had an NVidia card it had a special port you could plug your sound in so it would transport that through HDMI, I don't know if they still do that (in practice ATI solution far easier to use)

Onboard sound is the only sound you could possibly get through the onboard HDMI port. ATI cards provide sound through HDMI port by having a soundcard on the videocard. Last time I had an NVidia card it had a special port you could plug your sound in so it would transport that through HDMI, I don't know if they still do that (in practice ATI solution far easier to use)

Right. I guess initially I didnt think of the onboard soundcard being disabled issue. That kind of sucks.

And just fyi, all video cards these days output sound through hdmi port, not just ati. ATI is not easier to use either heh.

Anyways thanks, looks like that is the issue. Solved.

make sure the intel graphics drivers package is fully installed.
you should see an intel HDMI audio device.

Probably will not answer your question but just FYI...."Windows 7" only allow one audio output so you can either use your HDMI as audio output or your soundcard as audio output at any given time.

Probably will not answer your question but just FYI...."Windows 7" only allow one audio output so you can either use your HDMI as audio output or your soundcard as audio output at any given time.

nope. you can have 10 different songs and videos playing out of 10 different sound cards at the same time granted either one of the following:
a) the application supports it
b) you use more than one application :)

the z68 chipset has hdmi audio built in...depends on the motherboard on what options you need to select for it to work. idk.
i would try the vga driver from asus:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_LX/#download

If you read the previous conversation, yes, I know, it has audio built in. The question is, does it still work with onboard audio disabled in bios. If it does, then I dont know how to fix it. My guess is it does not. Ill look at that driver though. I think you could be right about the driver. It looks like the audio driver is in the sound card driver package.

Maybe ill install that later and see if just having the driver in the system fixes the issue, even though onboard audio is still disabled. If that does work, it would have made more sense for them to include the audio driver with the VGA drivers. They should realize some people use their own soundcards and dont want or care about the onboard audio.

Do you have the output from the soundcard somehow going to the input of the motherboard? If not, that is what you are missing. On older video cards without onboard sound, you had to jumper the onboard audio to the video card to output sound via the hdmi port. That method would only get you 2 channels though.

Do you have the output from the soundcard somehow going to the input of the motherboard? If not, that is what you are missing. On older video cards without onboard sound, you had to jumper the onboard audio to the video card to output sound via the hdmi port. That method would only get you 2 channels though.

Well right, and no I dont. I understand with older sound video cards, obviously you would have to get sound somehow that way, so that makes sense.

I am not really sure what I would have to connect to where but....

Anyways, just for an update. I installed the drivers with onboard audio still disabled in bios, and no sound through hdmi still(I kind of expected this). I then enabled onboard sound in bios, and I can select the realtek hd audio device and such in the sound settings while output on my TV, but I still do not get sound.

I was almost positive that would have worked to get sound output and am guessing I just did not have something configured or set correctly.

Either way, this was only a temporary fix so I could stream some movies to my TV through HDMI until my new video card got here for a week heh.

I gave up at this point. Its only a week I have to wait to get my video card(tigerdirect free shipping is a slow mofo) so...All will be back to normal within 7 days. I just dont understand why they made it so full retard to get audio through HDMI port.... At the very least, its a big design flaw to require onboard audio and drivers to be installed with the audio package if the user did not want onboard audio enabled. If they were smart, they would put the audio driver required with the VGA drivers to avoid such stupidity like all video card manufactures do.

With a video card, all you have to do is plug in the hdmi cable, change device output to TV, and change the audio device to the hd hdmi output and everything works flawlessly.

/end rant :)

Last edited:
Hmm, that's interesting.

The HD3000 should show up as a separate audio device. Can you go view your playback devices, and make sure to right-click and check "Show disconnected devices." See if it shows up then. If not, there's probably something wrong with your hardware or drivers.

In my experience, the Realtek HDMI output doesn't work if I'm trying to output through the graphics card HDMI. In your case, it has to be the Intel.

As for that input from motherboard thing, that was applicable ONLY for GTX 2xx series cards, since they didn't have their own audio output. How that worked was that it took the SPDIF output from jumpers on the motherboard, and sent it through the card. Since SPDIF uses the same type of audio signal as HDMI, that could be done.

Hmm, that's interesting.

The HD3000 should show up as a separate audio device. Can you go view your playback devices, and make sure to right-click and check "Show disconnected devices." See if it shows up then. If not, there's probably something wrong with your hardware or drivers.

In my experience, the Realtek HDMI output doesn't work if I'm trying to output through the graphics card HDMI. In your case, it has to be the Intel.

As for that input from motherboard thing, that was applicable ONLY for GTX 2xx series cards, since they didn't have their own audio output. How that worked was that it took the SPDIF output from jumpers on the motherboard, and sent it through the card. Since SPDIF uses the same type of audio signal as HDMI, that could be done.

Yeah, it definitely does not show HD3000 audio anywhere. But yes, that is how it SHOULD work and how it does work with a video card hdmi port. I am kind of over trying to figure this out so, its not that big of a deal. I will have my video card in a week or so.

It is definitely not the hardware, or I highly doubt it. How do I know this? Because I have had two z68 boards first an GA UD3H-B3, then went to an Asus P8Z68-V LX. I had the same issue with both.

On the motherboard, under the HDMI port, there is an HDMI SPDIF output. I am not entire sure what cable you need for that, but I am pretty sure I dont have one. That is a nonissue anyways since I wouldnt want to have to get a separate cable to get audio when it "should" come from the HDMI port.

Last edited:
maybe i need to clarify my post. my point was that the audio is built into the Z68 chipset, but the drivers for HDMI audio are on the graphics card.

i dont know about your motherboard, but most would need the onboard enabled also, since most motheroards use the Intel integrated sound for the onboard sound. therefore if you disable onboard audio, the HDMI audio cannot function. but the HDMI audio also will not work unless you use the proper VGA drivers.

it will not show up as a realtek HDMI but as Intel HDMI or just HDMI device. but you need to have both, Onboard VGA and onboard audio enabled for most motherboards.

I have GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 . this is what it looks like to me
audiow.png

Last edited:
Back