Z590 and 3080Ti

PTRMAN

Limp Gawd
Running Win10 64 on Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Ultra with EVGA 3080 Ti. Went to install latest GE Force driver (496.76, I think) and everything broke. Card not recognized in either PCIE slot. Reseated 2x. Tried different power outputs from PSU. Was running well for past 2-3 months. Card powers up, fans spin briefly, and it does pass through video signal to monitor. But Device Manager does not see it at all. Had to do a CMOS reset and now Z590 is throwing a 25 code - something with RAM. Wow. Where do I start?

Just prior to all of this I had turned ON my TPM, in anticipation of possibly trying Win 11. Have gone back and completely reset bios. PC boots with one stick ram but still throwing a 25. I can try one stick of older/slower RAM.

Sounds like the GPU is borked. Do you have a spare machine you can test the card in?

Nope. I do have a spare MOBO, but that would involve swapping out the mobo. Ugh. Why is nothing easy?
I suppose I could simply unplug Z590, plug in old mobo (with CPU but no cooler), throw in some RAM, and test the card quickly that way? Shouldn't take but a few minutes.

Hmm. Same mobo with old RAM also throwing a 25. Wonder if it might be mobo that is borked. Will have to do the mobo swap later - too tired now - and see if that works. Just hope it isn't mobo AND GPU that are effed!

OK weird. Reinstalled windows and GPU works again. Fully recognized and running Nvidia. Mobo still throwing RAM code, but so happy I don't have to go down RMA road.

Back