Z390 Suggestions for 9700K

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Looking to upgrade my PC in sig to a 9700K, as I am starting to run into some CPU-limited situation with the 2080 Ti. I also admit I have the itch and am tired of waiting for 10nm.

Budget is $200. Looking for a board with good and stable overclocking ability. In addition, I require:
  • At least 4 external USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type A ports
  • 2 USB 2.0 headers
  • 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 header
  • 1 M.2 slot that supports NVME PCI-E 3.0/3.1 x4 (to add a Samsung 970 Pro)
  • 5 SATA 6gb/s ports that do not get disabled with a M.2 NVME SSD plugged in
I've looked at 3 boards so far. RGB doesn't bother me, but I would like something clean and pleasing to the eye since a have a full glass side panel.
  1. ASUS PRIME Z390-A
  2. GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
  3. MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Out of the 3, the MSI is the most pleasing to my eye, but I read it has power delivery issues. From the reviews I've read, the GIGABYTE seems to be the best for overclocking. And the ASUS appears to have the best memory support from the QVL, and I do like the clean look.

Thoughts?

It's amazing that this question got no replies.

Asus has a better BIOS, IMO.
As you are getting a 9700k, power delivery should not be an issue with MSI, but it's still MSI. So be careful. I have heard many horror stories with MSI but don't want to say something extremely negative as I have no proof.

Asus seems to have better bios options but don't expect any support from Asus or MSI. They're both bad. Not much support experience with gigabyte but never had a board that failed.

This is a tough call. Assuming the pricing is close, I'd probably get the Asus. The fan control is still better on the Asus than on anything else and they will issue bios updates for years. But you can't really go wrong as they all seem like good boards.

I'm using MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC with a 9700k with no problems at all, the mobo looks solid, and got nice bios and software, not much to do these days on bios tho..

Back