Z24i vs. PB248Q - how to decide?

Wilkie

n00b
Trying to decide between the Z24i and PB248Q. Is there anyone who has seen both monitors and can compare?

My primary uses will be viewing scans of books, programming, and web browsing in a somewhat dark room.

Some of the apparent benefits of the PB248Q aren't of interest to me -- faster response time, USB 3.0 hub, headphone jack. I won't be gaming or watching movies on it. I won't be doing anything color-critical, so will I notice the (slightly?) better sRGB coverage of the PB248Q? The power consumption of the Z24i is lower, but that won't amount to much cost savings, especially given the Z24i's higher price.

What I think might matter most to me are any differences in the matte coatings or ergonomics. Anything else I should consider?

Appreciate your advice.

The PB has a grainier matte coating vs. the Z24i which can suffer from matte coating cross-hatching issues. Neither are ideal for your uses, but if you aren't currently using a clear CRT or glossy display I'd pick the PB248Q for your uses. Ignorance=bliss when it comes to matte coatings.

A single input Qnix QX2710 (<330$, IPS LED Monitors offers a 14 day no hassle return policy) plus a <60$ 3 year square trade warranty=better solution for you since their coating is light, free from cross-hatching and the higher resolution (2560x1440) offers far more screen real estate.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I considered that QNIX, but I tried out a few other 27" monitors and found the size to be too big for how close I will sit to the screen. Not a fan of glossy, either. Graininess sounds better than cross-hatching, so I'm leaning towards the PB248Q based on your feedback. Have been using laptop monitors exclusively since my last CRT, which, unfortunately, I no longer have. Thanks again.

A day too late. I ordered the PB248Q after going through the same dilemma. Currently on 17" CRT. I hope I get a good one.

I looked at the Z24i but favored the PB248Q due to the stronger anti-glare, because due to using CRT's for the past 3 years I've had to keep my room very dim even during the day as the CRT's have a lot of glare and it sucks. Since I don't wanna do that anymore I need a monitor that can handle a decent amount of daylight in the room. I had a Samsung SM226BW before and I never noticed the anti-glare on it, in fact I much preferred it to glossy monitors because I dislike seeing my reflection over everything I do. Plus the contrast on a matte LCD will actually be better (during the day) than on a CRT because if the tube is not really dark then the daylight will wash out all the blacks and you will be left with a terrible image. The SM226BW never got that washed out during the day as my CRT's do.

I think the PB248Q's coating is not much stronger than the 226BW so I went for that, whereas looking from the pictures of the Z24i it seemed to be a lot more reflective.

Last edited:
Back