Z170 hacked to support Coffeelake? Is this real or fake?

Asus said that coffeelake would work in z170/270 boards but Intel willed it not to be.

Last edited:
Wasn't it all but confirmed that the 'coffee lake' i3s were actually rebadged kaby Lake dies?

This is a repost of a diff article and has been discussed in the. Coffee lake thread.

No Igp, broke pcie and only 4core chips, it doesn't really support it

This is a repost of a diff article and has been discussed in the. Coffee lake thread.

No Igp, broke pcie and only 4core chips, it doesn't really support it

they're reverse engineering a bios.

of course not everything works yet.

Where did ASUS say this?

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59584/asus-z270-platform-work-coffee-lake-cpus/index.html

ASUS ROG motherboard Product Manager, Andrew Wu, confirmed with Bit-Tech that Intel's previous-gen Z270 chipset is compatible with Coffee Lake CPUs, with Wu saying it would require a small change "depending on Intel's decision". Bit-Tech asked if it was a "physical limitation", but Wu replied saying "Not really. It [the power delivery] makes a little bit of difference, but not much".

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59584/asus-z270-platform-work-coffee-lake-cpus/index.html

there.

Bumping this since some folks got an i7 8700K working on an Asrock Z170M board with a pencil mod and modded UEFI: https://community.hwbot.org/topic/175489-asrock-z170-mocf-lives-on-coffee-lake-mods/

Anyone else have the brass balls to try this?

z170m_8700k.jpg

Last edited:
I'm betting PCIe lanes/slots are still limited. In my case, I have an Asrock Z170-ITX board, so I only have the single PCIe x16 slot and my m.2 slot. I wonder if this mod will have any impact on my m.2 slot.

I'm betting PCIe lanes/slots are still limited. In my case, I have an Asrock Z170-ITX board, so I only have the single PCIe x16 slot and my m.2 slot. I wonder if this mod will have any impact on my m.2 slot.

The lanes thing was with the previous method (or due to motherboard weirdness), no mention this time. The m2 is always from pch on 115x, shouldn't matter.

Capture7.JPG

Just ran a scan today from the Intel Driver and Support assistant...here's what it detected from my Z370 motherboard. I'm sure some people will believe that Intel isn't fucking the consumer by requiring a new motherboard, but they haven't convinced me.

View attachment 68392

Just ran a scan today from the Intel Driver and Support assistant...here's what it detected from my Z370 motherboard. I'm sure some people will believe that Intel isn't fucking the consumer by requiring a new motherboard, but they haven't convinced me.

I will be happy if I can put 8400-8600 or even 8700 in my existing z270i at some point.

I've got a spare Asrock Z170 board lying around, I may give this a try...

View attachment 68392

Z370

Shit dude, your making my z170 look old.

:(

Back