Z170 and DDR3200 issues with XMP?

zaniix

Gawd
So I was looking at what memory to get and I was considering some Gskill 2x8gb 3200mhz kits

Someone posted they could not get it to run XMP profile on an ASUS Z170 Genie board and I plan to get the HERO which is similar so I looked into it more.

The ASUS QVL says "*When running XMP at DDR4 3200 MHz or higher, the system’s stability depends on the CPU’s capabilities" Is this their way of saying sometimes it worked?

I was looking at F4-3200C16D-16GVK which is on the QVL list, however when I pick that board from the Gskill RAM Configurator it does not offer any 3200 kits, only 3000 and then it jumps to 3400

Looks like I will go with [Ripjaws V] F4-3000C15D-16GVR instead, its not like I need 3200. I guess my point is I really hate when XMP profiles don't work, I feel like I didn't get what I paid for even if I can just bump the voltage and make it work, I feel cheated.. I look forward to seeing what other people have experienced once these chips start shipping.

I think you're just putting too much stock into what an XMP is... It's like we buy pre-OC'd DIMMs, only unlike a GPU they depend on another component to reach those speeds. It's the nature of an IMC, nothing RAM vendors can do about it except not hype it up so much.

Some CPU have better IMC, some don't, ultimately they've got no control over it. It's never made any sense to overpay for highly rated RAM, that ain't news. An OC will always be luck of the draw. At least the mobo makers are more transparent in clearly labeling it an OC.

Didn't Intel come up with the entire XMP concept? It's their profile spec and their IMC, probably they who should catch your ire. :p

I have a set of CMK16GX4M4B3200C15 with a Asus Z170-A that wouldn't post after I switched on XMP.

To get it to post with XMP I had to increase the system agent voltage and the vccio.

Per the Asus overclocking guide.
"VCCIO/System Agent voltage are both important for memory clocking. 1.25V for system agent and

1.20V for VCCIO should be enough to achieve 4 DIMM stability at DDR4-3200. The maximum we

have used in-house is 1.30V system agent and 1.25V for VCCIO"

It sucks though even when I set to the max safe voltages they used I get crashes in handbrake with XMP on...

Despite what I said earlier, that's still disappointing IMO.

You checked the board actually read the XMP correctly and set the right timings? I would definitely not use it like that since memory errors compound over time and can lead to data corruption.

Might have to consult Corsair, I'd loosen timings or back off the speed first to see if it's stable anywhere else tho. (before contacting Corsair that is, just so you're better armed with info)

I'm mildly worried it'll be even more finicky with my 4x8GB LPX DIMMs, tho they're only 2666 & C16, can't do jack until Intel decides to sell the 6700K in the US tho, bleh.

I was wrong, it was the CPU crashing, I thought I had turned it back to stock but it was still an unstable OC.

After that the ram passed realbench with XMP on, but I still have to give 1.25 to SA and 1.20 VCCIO to get it to post.

Interesting update, is that info from ASUS on the docs Raja posted? I saved those for wherever I finally get a 6700K, haven't even gone thru them...

Back