Z-5500 "shhhhhh" sound while no sound playeed.

LucasG

Gawd
I have these Z-5500 and while playing no sounds no matter if the volume is high or low there is this like static sound on the back which i've heard before from other audio devices, it's low but noticeable if you are silent. If you put the volume higher you can hear it higher, it's like a "shhhhhhhhh" sound. It only goes away if you turn off the speakers. Is this normal?

only thing i can think of is you're getting EMI from something near or inside your computer then

Logitech uses very low-quality amps in their speaker systems. To produce the claimed "500 watts" of power out of the amplifier, Logitech figures a little noise (and up to 10% THD) never hurt anybody.

A constant hiss may be cleared up if you play with your cables a bit, making sure any audio cables cross other cables only perpendicularly, but it's likely you're going to just have to live with the hiss.

Logitech uses very low-quality amps in their speaker systems. To produce the claimed "500 watts" of power out of the amplifier, Logitech figures a little noise (and up to 10% THD) never hurt anybody.

A constant hiss may be cleared up if you play with your cables a bit, making sure any audio cables cross other cables only perpendicularly, but it's likely you're going to just have to live with the hiss.

Can I like swap their amplifier and use another amplifier with their speakers and bass?

I had exact same problem, no too long ago, get ready, your Z5500 is about to die, if you are still under warranty (1 year) call Logitech and they will send you new speakers.

Mine turned out to the the subwoofer that was doing the problems.

Can I like swap their amplifier and use another amplifier with their speakers and bass?
You can use the satellites with another amp, but not the sub -- unless you're able to rewire it.

There was a known issue with the z-5500 control pod cable which causes a loud hiss. It isn't going away when no sound is played, it's merely being drowned out.

Fiddling with the cable near where it connects to the sub/amp could temporarily fix it--but you should contact logitech for an RMA on the pod.

I've started to hear this sound too from the satellites after about 2 weeks of use. The source can be disregarded because it hisses with nothing plugged in too. Pretty cheap set though so it's not a big setback. I have some old altec lansing speakers too that hiss even worse.
I have a question though: Is it worth bothering with RMA if there's only a little hiss?

Try muting things in your volume control. If you have a mic connected and you have the mic output (not the input, but the output) unmuted it will make "SHHH" sound in your speakers.

OMG Logitech is garbage. Everything I bought from them, from their flagship mouse to their best wireless controllers, all became defective within a year. Never, ever again will I buy anything from Logitech.

Anyway, the sound is just crappy caps
(capacitors) and lack of proper shielding. I can crank my amp all the way and it is dead silent. If you're handy enough with electronics you could solder in new stuff. But I'm betting down the road you'll get some serious audio gear and scrap that heap. :p

OMG Logitech is garbage. Everything I bought from them, from their flagship mouse to their best wireless controllers, all became defective within a year. Never, ever again will I buy anything from Logitech.

Anyway, the sound is just crappy caps
(capacitors) and lack of proper shielding. I can crank my amp all the way and it is dead silent. If you're handy enough with electronics you could solder in new stuff. But I'm betting down the road you'll get some serious audio gear and scrap that heap. :p

Logitech has problems with the hiss noise coming from their speakers. My Z-680's have done this for years. So a big !whatever! to the folks saying your speakers are gonna die. Phide is right, they use low quality components. Sucks cause the sound quality is great when you crank them up. But when you're sitting there just wanting regular volume for videos, vent chat, w/e, the hiss is there. And it IS noticeable. I just turn mine off when I don't want sound.

And BTW, no amount of cable re-doing, sound card replacements, or special prayers to Jesus will help. The only way to fix it is to buy a new speaker set from a company that's more about quality than profit.

It's telling you to shh your music and buy some real speakers.

In srsness, I'm not sure, I sold my set because of the ridiculous price I paid which I regret every day (only lost $100, but still), and as well as they had many faults. Subwoofer messing up, low frequency hum constantly, fuses' blowing like no tomorrow, lots of crap.

Save your self some headache and sell 'em to some unfortunate person and buy some better speakz.

Btw, mine did this too. It was pretty awful. All my Logitech speakers did this -- X-540 (worst), z-5300e, z-5500. Never dealing with Logicrap again.

lol my z-680's starting doing this a few days ago. i only use them when nobody is home and i can crank it in game. otherwise i use one my my many headphones.
lucky i paid a whopping 16$ for them :) :)

$16??! How?

at Microcenter they have a discount section-open box and returns. i thought i bought a logitech force feedback wheel, but when i openned the very heavy box, a set of z-680s was in there. no remote and one satelite was out. fixed it in about 5 minutes (loose internal connection)

I have the same problem with my Z-5500's. Loud SHHHHHHH noises from all the satellites even when no audio is being passed.
Paid extra money for HQ speaker wire and it didn't help at all. So I think the system is defective or it's just how all the Z-5500s are...

12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire

Last edited:
Classic case of crappy amplifiers and shielding.

I was amazed when I first turned on my M200MKII's and cranked the volume with nothing playing and I couldn't hear a thing.

I believe that is called having a low noise floor? Its pretty impressive.

There is hissing, but with my computer on i cant hear it so i dont care.

Last edited:
Back